Librarium Online Forums banner

1 - 20 of 91 Posts

·
Don't tread on me!
547 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
After a lot of thought I've decided it's time to revisit my first 40K army. I've been playing Space Wolves since RT and haven't updated my armies minis since second ed. So they are a little dated.

So lets start with a look into the past. Here are a smattering of my Wolves; all painted 10+ years ago.

The Wolflord with the Pfist is my first attempt at GSing wolfpelts.

The predator will be the only thing to transition into the new army for sure.

So here is my first Grey Hunter for the new army. I need to add some more damage and weathering plus a couple of touch-ups before he's done. Sorry the pics are a little dark.

·
....coookies...
1,753 Posts
Awesome

I remember those guys!

I love the idea here. Taking those golden oldies, I take it you remember the days when it seemed everyone and his dog played SWs? and then updating them with the new models. Its clear that you ability with the brush has been improving too. I look forward to seeing you work through the collection this could be something special!

I love those wolves and I think your pelt turned out OK too.

·
Don't tread on me!
547 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the comments. I'll definitely be repainting a few of the old armor Mk's that'll fit in size wise with the newer stuff.

Here is the finished Grey Hunter. Grrr... I need to fix one thing a spot of grey on the exhaust vent on his pack. Other than that one flaw I'm quite happy with they way he's turned out.

·
....coookies...
1,753 Posts
You know,

You know I think that this guy is good enough to justify a guide as to how you went about painting him. I think a lot of people would be interested in the technique you use to paint damage. I also like the way that you have striped some of the highlighting. It looks good and gives the impression of texture.

You could also take a bit of time to discuss the way you have used colour to shade your grey hunter. I notice that you are pretty liberal with the pallete and many painters struggle to grasp the idea of shading grey with brown.

I have to ask, how long did it take you to finish this guy? Did you keep track? If you did then I will work through one of my own marines from start to finish, I would really enjoy the comparison. Its good to know if you are working at a decent pace or not.

Again, this is a great start for a project thread. I look forward to seeing more of your work.

·
Don't tread on me!
547 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for the positive feedback. I'll see about doing a guide for the paint chips and highlighting.

The inspiration for the striped highlights comes from a couple of places. First is my extensive military modeling background and I've seen a few Space marines done in a similar style although with more exaggerated striping but I liked it.

It took me around 7 to 8 hours to complete the GH. Now keep in mind this was my trial model using an unrefined technique. I'm pretty sure I can cut it down to 5 hours each as I get into the real swing of painting the army.

·
....coookies...
1,753 Posts
That's in the right territory

Those times are in the right territory. I find that it takes me about the same amount of time to turn out a model when I have got the process down. I think I am usually hampered by the fact that I work on an army at once, working through each stage before moving on to the next. If you glance at my GT thread you will see what I mean. I have basecoated, shaded and I am about 90% of the way through restoring the basecoat colour to my marines for this years GT.

I really like this thread as I think you have a style similar to my own. Nothing too drastic with the shading, just a good subtle and clean look which works really well on the table.

I have to admit that I am tempted to grab an AC and produce my own test model so that I have something to aim for eith each of my guys. On the other hand I like the way my armies emerge onto the table at the same time.

Keep up the good work.

·
Registered
14 Posts
nicely done my friend... love those old mini, nicely painted like pre heresy.

·
Pedantic Englishman
1,229 Posts
Very, very nice. Totally deserving of some Wulfsmeade :beer:

And it's odd seeing Space Wolves in (I think) Space Wolf Grey, lol. Love the pre-heresy look.

·
Chilli Fueled Heretic
5,839 Posts
Very nice work there champ. The free hand wolf badges are VERY well done. This is looking to be a brilliant army here.

Also, Im sure a 'How to Guide' on the 'chipping effects' on the models would go down well in this forum, I personnaly would love to try this out.

Excellant work, I would love to see some more.

Dan

·
Don't tread on me!
547 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Thanks again for the support.

I'm currently building the Grey hunters Pack mates. I also thought I'd show you the start of my Wolf Lord.

He needs some green stuff work, but it gives you the general idea for his posing.

·
LO Zealot
1,744 Posts
RT era Wolves... excellent! I think some of them are in the back of my head and deep inside my heart!

I really like the painting you have done on these guys and especially the freehand Great Company design!

Although I have to say that the pose of the Lord is stolen from my head... as I was planning to make him like that... Cheers! :beer:

·
199 Posts
wow those are incredible...i never really appreciated sw until i read the omnibus, now they are my favorite "real" chapter...i am looking forward to seeing more

·
Don't tread on me!
547 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Thanks, Dude.

Here are five more Grey Hunters. I'm working on 4 more they will all be sporting converted Mk IV Maximus armor.

The concept for the army is post Heresy so I want to represent a large mix of armor types.

Blood Claws will be wearing predominately Mk VII armor with Mk VI mixed in.

Grey hunters will have mostly Mk IV and Mk VI armor with a few Mk VII mixed in for flavor.

Long Fangs will be wearing armor that will best protect them so a Mix of Mk III, Mk VI and MK VII will fit the bill.

Wolf Guard will wear anything Mk V and earlier.

1 - 20 of 91 Posts