Librarium Online Forums banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
948 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Do the Space Wolves have to pay for their Drop Pods like regular Marines, and get the regular Drop Pod stats (Upgrade to Deathwind, ect), or are they just an excuse to Deep Strike-ie, just a way of saying that you can give SW units Deep Strike for free?

·
Registered
238 Posts
I think that you would have to follow the marine dex for rules on drop pods, as the SW codex is just an expansion, although an old one.

Since all the new vehciles and wargear is used from the new marine codex, I would use the new drop pod rules.

You could try and get away with not useing the new rules, and just deep strike all your marines. If you do this though, I wouldnt use all the upgrades and so on, just deep strike the SW

·
LO Zealot
1,173 Posts
Space Wolf FAQ says to use the rules in codex space marines for drop pods, but use the space wolf codex for who can use drop pod.

·
Registered
400 Posts
U have to pay 30pts for every drop pod in a SW army...just read the FAQ if ur still unsure.
by the way SW really thrive with drop pods. I've seen a SW army with 3 or 4 fully kitted (PF, plasma guns) Grey Hunter packs podding in. It rocks like hell.

·
948 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Yeah, that's the 750-point army I'm planning-Venerable Dread and a few tooled-up GH squads DSing in.

Anyways, thanks. I wonder if it's worth it do use Deathwind Drop Pods...

·
Registered
925 Posts
In my opinion, yes, Being able to shoot a large template, thats twinlinked, is pretty awesome.
s5 large template?

yes please!

·
Registered
335 Posts
drop pods + SW = double yes

It's the only real way to go. Load up on troops and dreds and drop most of the army. A unit of SW termis in there with assault cannons would be a nice surprise. If/when I decide to buy the supplies and make a bunch of pods, I will certainly use them with SW's and unleash some happiness.

·
Registered
215 Posts
Broadside_Pilot said:
Yeah, that's the 750-point army I'm planning-Venerable Dread and a few tooled-up GH squads DSing in.

Anyways, thanks. I wonder if it's worth it do use Deathwind Drop Pods...
Get the current(?) issue of White Dawrf! It has an awesom Drop pod SW army featured in it.

·
Registered
2,044 Posts
What number WD are you talking about?

Tai'shar

·
Registered
38 Posts
i wanna say 312, its the january issue (US), in the dark crusade section. and its a nice army, but BS, they have their HQ choice podding in with their GH... i wish i didnt have to use the rules.

·
Registered
2,044 Posts
Ven Dreads can take a pod of their own. If it's a normal character, are you sure it are GH and not Wolf Guard?

Tai'shar

·
Registered
38 Posts
positive, picture and all. they don't give many other details about the army just shows squad of GH "with attached character" it gave me hope because i had hopes of using the same setup, but alas...

·
Ghost of LO
3,861 Posts
At 750, i wouldnt take pods, nor a dreadnought. Id simply try 2 big squads of grey hunters, with melta guns, maybe a blood claws pack, Nice rune preist HQ + Scout, and intermingeld with a bunch of powerfists.

If you could field around 30 marines in 750, youll do just fine.

·
Registered
2,044 Posts
There is truth in that. But still pods work at 750 pts. One could also try just fielding 1 GH pack with a pod.

I'm thinking about trying to field a pod at 500 pts. :)

Tai'shar

1 - 14 of 14 Posts