Librarium Online Forums banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Another newb question - thanks for your patience ;)

Is there a problem with stuffing Blood Claws and a HQ into a Crusader?

Thanks,

DrBob.

·
Registered
1,659 Posts
No problem. Space Wolves may take one Crusader as a heavy choice. They are a little too expensive for small point armies, but are perfect Blood Claw delivery vehicles in mid to large sized armies. The HQ can joint the BC's and make a killer assault unit.

·
Registered
62 Posts
I completely agree, when running a small point army the LRC isn't worth it, at 255 points it's really a waste. I personally wouldnt' run a LRC unless i was playing at least 1850 pts. Otherwise, carrying 12 Blood Claws could pack a powerful punch. The Hurricane Bolters, and maybe a Hunter Killer Missle can deliver a hard blow, and then follow up w/ an assault from the Blood Claws and you've got an enemy that's as good as dead. :D

·
Registered
3 Posts
Actualy you get 15 troops in a cruser... try 13 BC(powerwep/powerfist)wolf leader(power wep) and a wolf lord or a battle leader w/ a Frost blade(this is the important one because with a 5in. you can usually pick off 2 or more of there troops before they get to attack). That’s a total of 10 unsaveable attacks in cc and 14 on the charge+ the 2 attacks with the PF. this works great against other marines

·
Registered
199 Posts
how about 8 terminators with lightning claws and thunderhammers. That works better then 15 troops. I used the same in my black templars tactic but the termies thing works better. (that's what i think about it) B)

·
Registered
58 Posts
Not too sure but DrBob may have been referring to the fact that Blood Claws can usually only take Rhino's as transport vehicles as the other troop carriers are usually only reserved for the more important units - or that is what it says in the Codex for Space Wolves. However because a Razorback can only carry 6 Space Marines this may be the reason as to why they say that Blood Claws can take it - Blood Claws need a minimum of 8 for a pack.
In the Codex it doesn't say anything about being able to or not being able to put them in a Land Raider so I guess that the question is whether the Land Raider Crusader is supposed to be only used by more prominent packs - in which case you could only add in some Fenresian Wolves to make up the 15 as Grey Hunters can only go up to 10 and you are only allowed 1 unit (and Independent Characters).
If it is allowed - one other type of tactic (similar to dill-weeeds in a way) is to have:

Rune Priest (Lightning Claws)
Wolf Guard Leader (Lightning Claws - perhaps even with a Wolf Tooth Necklace))
13 Blood Claws (3 with Powerfist/Weapons)

If the Rune Priest successfully casts his Storm Caller, then you are attacking (from cover) and so attack first with 50 normal attacks (10 of those with re-roll to wound) and another 12 attacks with powerweapons (no save) or with powerfists (no save, double strength, but attack last) - although by this time you have already cleared out most of the unit you are attacking. Sliced Sushi anyone?
:)

·
Registered
1,659 Posts
I'm afaid you're mistaken grimnar00, the codex says they may not take Razorbacks. It does not say they may only take Rhinos.

Also, the text refers to transports, clearly talking about unit transports. The Crusader is a heavy support choice, not a transport. It just happens to have transport capability. Further evidence of the difference between the two comes from the fact that the Crusader is not restricted by the "transport only the unit for which it was bought" rule, that it rolls separately from a unit on reserves availability checks, and it occupies a force org slot. All indicate that it is not a transport, but a completely separate unit.

The arguement could be made that the FLUFF doesn't support their use of the Crusader, but its definitely allowed by the rules. As far as the BCs not being an important unit, when you add a Lord or Priest and a WG pack leader, that makes them pretty important in my book.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thanks for the input everyone.... The (Wolf Guard +PW) and HQ isn't something that had occured to me - thanks for the idea *grin*.

Now if I can just work my way through painting this pile of Rhinos ;)

DrBob.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Originally posted by dill_weeed@Oct 17 2003, 16:01
Actualy you get 15 troops in a cruser... try 13 BC(powerwep/powerfist) wolf leader(power wep) and a wolf lord or a battle leader w/ a Frost blade(this is the important one because with a 5in. you can usually pick off 2 or more of there troops before they get to attack). That’s a total of 10 unsaveable attacks in cc and 14 on the charge+ the 2 attacks with the PF. this works great against other marines
Thanks for the reply Dill...

But just checking, and sorry if this seems newb... Is it legal to put a WG Leader _and_ a HQ SW Troop in a transport?

DrBob.

·
Registered
1,659 Posts
Yes it is. The WG leader is sort of a vet sergeant equivalent, not any sort of independant character. The HQ is a regular IC joining a unit, and so may travel in any transport the unit can use, as long as there is room, while he is part of the unit. They could even do it in a Rhino, although at a smaller overall size.

·
Registered
58 Posts
It terms of whether an HQ and a WGL can be in the same LRC, although I guess technically the HQ is within 2" of a unit (perfectly legal) and be part of the unit as leader, if this was not the case, he would still be able to travel in the same LRC (as an independent character) as another unit as the LRC is able to take only one unit AND an independent character. This technically means that if you wanted to, you could have 9 Grey Hunters and Wolf Guard Bodyguard, as well as an HQ that can take 4 Fenris Wolves. Cheers and good luck with the glueing and painting :)

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.