Librarium Online Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So i have a 3000pt tyranid army give or take here and there and me and my friends normally play a 1500pt games and i was looking at getting a new army. I have always held the space wolves close to my heart, i love the background and the models and i was thinking of switching sides to a space marine army. However i havent really played much of space marines so im in the dark let alone a space wolf army. So before i went out and blew a ton of money on my new army i thought id get on here and ask the veterans for some advice or suggestions. My friend has a 1500pt space marine army, he switches units out but he usually transports everything in rhinos and has a vindicator and Land raider. He normally doesnt use termies but he usually uses sterngaurd. My other friend has a tyranid army similar to mine and our other friend has the cheesiest necron army there is i think, 2 monoliths, ctan nightbringer, necron lord complete with res orb, and warriors, everything he turtles within his little res orb bubble. Any suggestions or ideas would be great, try to keep the lingo dumbed down because idk much about space marines. Thanks!

·
Registered
168 Posts
My advice to you is to buy the codex, or borrow somebody else's and do a few test run games using your nids as models. That's the best way to get a feel for what's worth using and what's not.

Apart from that, I'd say buy 4 boxes of space wolves infantry. That's enough infantry for 2000 points when you include characters and vehicles.. That or you could buy 2 of the space wolves battleforces. That will give you 2 drop pods 40 marines and 10 scouts.

·
Torn ACL FTL
4,404 Posts
Read the Codex, test some armies out, and go nuts. If those Necrons are bugging you, go for Phase Out and the Monos and C'tan go poof.

Mech is a solid build to start with. GH w/ meltas are cheap and reliable, Dreads, Speeders, and Preds are always useful, and fun stuff like TWC, cheap Long Fangs and Rune Priests gives you more options.

·
Egg Head Miniatures:fbook
1,900 Posts
I don't play wolves but have played against them. One thing to avoid is going on a Character frenzy. Sure, they are lethal and hard as nails but your army size wil suffer. The games I've played or watched where the SW's are toasted was when their armies were just too small. 1500pts with about 25 guys and a tank or two, for example. Yea, he beat the poo out my army in CC but at the end he had no scoring units left (2x 5man scouts!) and I had loads.

·
650 Posts
As mentioned above you are going to want at least 4 boxes of Wolf Packs (10 guys to make any power-armored infantry) I would make 50-75% of those guys as Grey Hunters. Word of advice, do not put power fists on Grey Hunters! Make Wolfguard to take those on farm out to lead GH units.

Here is my 1500 lists

Wolf Lord, frost axe, storm shield, wolf tail, Saga of the Warrior Born, meltabomb (hits on 3+ with wolftail)
Wolf Priest, Runic Armor, wolf tail (meltabomb)

Wolf Guard, three guys all with combi-melta, power fist

Two units of Grey Hunter (8 guys each) 1 melta gun, wolf banner, Mark of the Wulfen, Rhino with just extra armor upgrade (hate transports getting stunned)
1 unit of grey hunter (5 guys), 1 melta gun, Mark of the Wulfen, base razorback (TL HB)

Vindicator with siege shield
Long fang unit 1 (5 guys + base leader) 2 Las, 3 ML
Long Fang unit 2 (5 guys + base leader) 3 plas cannons, 2 HB

Pretty simple and has worked well:

Wolf Guard each join separate Grey Hunter unit in Rhino/Razorback
Wolf Lord in one Rhino with GH unit
Wolf Priest in other Rhino with GH unit

---Razorback (small GH inside) stays back for rear objectives
---Vindicator deploys central for best coverage. Long fangs usually take up positions 12-18" from short table edges for best use of range and crossfire not having to go past my own tanks.
---Rhino rush with the two units for forward objectives while providing fire support. I leave the guys in the rhinos until a) my opponent blows them up or b) My previous rhino 12" move put me close enough they can get out before it moves to get the charge.

I also have an alternate list replacing the plas/HB longfangs with a forth unit of GH, but I had gotten to luv my plas cannons and HB's!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.