Librarium Online Forums banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Straight to the point:

Ok, I've been tossing this idea about in my head for a while now...an Autarch special character to be used in friendly games. I'm still working on fluff, but here's the idea:

WS: 6
BS: 6
S: 3
T: 3
W: 3
I: 6
A: 3
Ld: 10
Sv: 5+

Wargear: Shuriken Pistol, Ranger Long Rifle, Plasma Grenades, Haywire Grenades, Forceshield

Special Rules: Independent Character, Fleet Of Foot, Master Strategist, Marksmen, Master Of Stealth

Master Of Stealth: same rules as a Pathfinder.

Marksmen: You may nominate the model targeted by Istaur Angau when he is shooting, such as a Sergeant or a heavy weapons trooper. This means you get to choose which model is taken off, not the enemy. In addition to this, Istaur Angau can target ay model in range, regardless of any targeting restrictions (such as independent characters within 6” of another unit).

Any advice would be welcome, suggested points cost, and everything that comes with it lol. As I said, I'm still working on fluff and a name...but that will all come in due time :). Thank you to all in advance.

Cheers,
Scott

Reactions: RhYn0

·
Registered
249 Posts
Kinda fluffy yeah, but what sets him apart from a vindicare assassin? Or the fact that he is one walking Mind War? I like the idea of sniper characters, but dont waste an Autarchs stats or points cost on a model that will be stood still for the whole battle....
But like i said above, sniper characters for the win!

EDIT: sorry didnt realise this was your first post, welcome to LO!

·
Registered
545 Posts
I kinda agree with not wasting the autarch's stats on a sniper character but it is mighty fluffy :)
as for points I would think that somewhere around 125 would be fun (maybe 150 for the "pathfinder" upgrade, just a thought) Like you said... it would be friendly games only so whatever your gaming group lets you get away with. A suitable name would be good too. Hope to see how this turns out and welcome to LO.

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Truth be told, I agree with the whoole "wasting an Autarchs stats" but i've put them in therer for fluff reasons. I play the game not only because i enjoy it but because there's so much story that can be made per game.

Now fluff ideas: I was thinking maybe he was once an Autarch for Alaitoc (simply because I love Alaitoc and Rangers/Pathfinders, no matter how usless they may sometimes be lol). But eventually, like so many Alaitoc Eldar, he became a Ranger/Pathfinder for some reason or another, and after quenching his thirst, finding whatever he wanted to find, he returns. He doesn't take back his "rank" of Autarch, but does start a mercenary group, whom sell their services to the highest bidding Eldar. (Thinking of making these guys Xenophobic, allying with no one but Eldar unless absolutely necessary). So he's now the commander of a mercenary group, commanding them as he would have when he was once an Autarch, but utilising the skills he learned while travelling alone as a Ranger/Pathfinder - hence the Autarch stats (5+ armour save being due to prefering the lighter armour for what he does). Everything in my army has to be done for fluff reasons lol (oh, and my army does contain a few Rangers/Pathfinders), same with my main opponent(s), so even if I am wasting 50 points on stats I don't need, I can guarantee my opponent(s) are doing the same lol. Let me know what you think?

Points: I was thinking 150pts, because he may not do much, but when he does, he'll do it well, especially when I target those bloody CSM with an Icon of Chaos Glory so they can't re-roll that Ld test that they have to take or be pinned lol.

And the last thing was I fight mostly Chaos, sometimes Orks or Tau and very very very rarely another race, so I don't have to worry about mind war lol.

Thank you both so far, and thanks for the greeting!

·
Registered
545 Posts
I see an eldar's autarch not so much as a game play powerhouse but more of the figure head of what your army is all about. They aren't solo assassins they just boost the power of whatever unit you put them in greatly. So with that in mind, the ranger autarch is one of the best ideas for this because what unit needs more help than rangers? ;) Have any ideas for the model or name yet?

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
And that's another reason I was thinking of it! lol I like my Rangers and have 15 of them, so I'm going to have 2 squads of 10 Rangers and a squad of 5 Pathfinders and have the Pathfinders as the unit he joins, sort of a body guard type idea lol.

As for the model, I haven't quite decided yet, but I might go a plain model: http://oz.games-workshop.com/storefront/store.oz?do=Individual&code=99060104136&orignav=10Kneeling Eldar Ranger Or given more time, might even convert one eventually. Of course he's going to stand out whether I convert him or just use the Ranger model lol.

Name: I'm thinking "Istaur Angau" - "Silent Doom" as for fluff reasons no one will really know his real name, so that's what the Imperium came up with, and it stuck (in fact I got the idea after me and an Imperial Guard player were playing a game and he asked if I had a name for him, and I said no. So he kept saying his men referred to him as The Silent Doom" so it stuck lol).

So, sounds good? Any other opinions?

Cheers,
Scott

·
Sparta!
1,438 Posts
I think it sounds good - it's not over the top, the points are a little prohibitive but not overly (which is good for a special character - especially a homemade one), it's a very fluffy and quite a niche character. Also, i think that you should increase his base armour save to at least a 4+ and consider letting him keep the invulnerable save (drop to a 5+?) - to represent that he has better equipment all round.
Also, a special rule like always letting the squad of pathfinders he joined infiltrate would, i think, work quite well.

·
Registered
545 Posts
I think it sounds good - it's not over the top, the points are a little prohibitive but not overly (which is good for a special character - especially a homemade one), it's a very fluffy and quite a niche character. Also, i think that you should increase his base armour save to at least a 4+ and consider letting him keep the invulnerable save (drop to a 5+?) - to represent that he has better equipment all round.
Also, a special rule like always letting the squad of pathfinders he joined infiltrate would, i think, work quite well.
Agreed on all points ;Y

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
First off, sorry for starting this in the wrong area...silly me!

Now on to the real business:

Well he's still got his forceshield which gives a 4+ invulnerable save, but I might drop it to 5+ and increase his armour to 4+ and I'll now add in that special rule too, why didn't I think of that? lol.

And I've decided to go with the Kneeling Ranger, but with a paint scheme that makes him stand out - at least that way he's nothing to spectacular, but he still looks great! (Which I personally think works in well fluff wise at the same time, as the Ranger side of him probably doesn't want him to stand out too much lol).

Thanks alot, you've been a great help, and now I think I'm ready to give him another go lol.

Any more advice/criticism/whatever would still be very appreciated - I'll see what I can do about posting his stats and fluff and picture of the model within the next week ;).

Cheers,
Scott

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Ok, so I've been working on him, and here he is:

Istaur Angau "Silent Doom"

Istaur Angau is a mysterious Eldar warrior. Little is known about him, not even his age, nor his original home world. All that really is known about him is his name (whether his real name or not is unknown) and the fact that he is the leader of an Eldar mercenary group that call themselves The Mear Raibh or The Silent Night.
The Mear Raibh is a Mercenary group that sell their services to the highest bidding Eldar. If no Eldar require their service, they may sell their services to an Imperial or Tau army – Istaur Angau leading them all the way.
Istaur Angau is a brilliant strategist, always leading his men into battle and, the majority of the time, bringing most, if not all, back out alive. After seeing his tactical skills, many believe that Istaur Angau was once an Autarch of Craftworld Alaitoc, but yearning to find something greater, he became an outcast. He now uses his tactical skills to utilise his men to the best of their ability, while supporting them from afar.

Sv: 4+
Unit Type: Infantry
Wargear: Shuriken Pistol, Ranger Long Rifle, Plasma Grenades, Haywire Grenades, Forceshield (5+ Invulnerable Save)
Special Rules: Independent Character, Fleet Of Foot, Master Strategtist (as per Autarch), Master Of Stealth (As per Eldar Pathfinders), Marksmen (As per Vindicare Assassin), Pathfinder Infiltrators.
Pathfinder Infiltrators: Istaur Angau and any squad of Eldar Pathfinders he joins may infiltrate, even in missions that normally do not allow it.

Now I know he doesn't have much fluff, but it was left like that for a reason. I know it's very unoriginal, but it fits well and (nearly) everyone loves the idea! lol.

So? Any more ideas? Anything I should add/subtract/whatever?

Cheers,
Scott

·
Bloodbowl Hooligan
263 Posts
Nice work man,

Stats, skills and points cost are good

Think it's a great idea, i tend to use an autarch with a reaper launcher to lead a squad of pathfinders with my alaitoc, but I may have to give this little fella a playtest,

Have some rep woot

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Why thank you kind sir! lol. I'm glad you like him. If anyone else would like to help play test him, feel free to give him a go and tell me how he went.

I had a game with him last night and out of 6 turns, he killed 4 "people":
Turn 1. Chaos Marine Aspiring Champion w/ Power Fist and Plasma Pistol
Turn 2. Plague Marine Aspiring CHampion w/ Power Sword
Turn 4. Chaos Space Marine w/ Icon of Chaos Glory (forcing them to make a pinning test, no re-rolls, and they failed! 7 man squad [the pathfinders with him killed 2 other marines] unable to do anything for the turn! lol)
Turn 6. On the last turn, when I had nothing else that could take the last wound off of his Deamon Prince and the Pathfinder squad he was with was killed, he took the shot and killed him! WOO! lol.

All in all, I think he did well. Didn't do anything the Pathfinders couldn't do if I spent his points on more Pathfinders, but did enough to earn his place in my army, I think. If anyone would like to test him out, as I already said, please feel free to do so :).

Cheers,
Scott

·
Nightlord
1,795 Posts
I think he might actually have trouble killing things without any AP value on his sniper rifle. I don't think 1 shot with a 5+ to be ap1 is enough, especially when you factor in needing to wound.

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I know exactly what you mean, but I'm not aiming to make him the Eldar Vindicare Assassin lol. And you haven't seen my die rolls lol. Furthermore, I'm not willing to push his points value any higher than 150. and I can't give him a better AP value without increasign his points (in all fairness).

Cheers,
Scott

·
Sparta!
1,438 Posts
Maybe just clarify his special rules a bit more.
I.e:

Ranger Long Rifle, Pathfinder, Master of Stealth, Marksmen, Master Strategist, Fleet, I.C, Master of Infiltration (changed from Pathfinder infiltrators - sounds a bit better I think).

I added pathfinder because it seems a little silly that the 'master pathfinder' wouldn't be able to hide as well nor get the 5+ Ap1 shot nor scout - I know that's what you intended, but it needs to be clarified.

I also do not think that increasing the AP of his Long rifle to Ap5 would unduly balance it nor cause it a points increase - but that is up to you and your friends.

Anyway, well done with it.

Edit: To Frozencore: Long rifles do have an ap, just not a very good one.

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Very good point, thank you very very much lol.

Unfortunately, I've never been great at thinking of "cooler sounding names" for SR, especially with so little sleep, so I'm glad to have people like you around to think of things like that for me lol.

As for the AP increase, 5+ isn't actually that bad (yet again, sleep depravity got the better of me when I posted earlier) and it won't bother my 2 main opponents who have 4+ or 2+ saves lol. Consider the changes made! :)

Anything else anyone would like to add, please do!

Cheers,
Scott

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 · (Edited)
Update!!!!

OK, after a few play tests and a few discussions, I've come up with teh following:

Istuar Angau

Wargear: Shuriken Pistol, Advanced Ranger Long Rifle, Plasma Grenades, Haywire Grenades, Forceshield (5+ Invulnerable Save)
Special Rules: Independent Character, Fleet Of Foot, Pathfinder (As per Pathfinders), Master Strategist (as per Autarch), Master Of Stealth (As per Eldar Pathfinders), Superior Sniper(s), Master(s) Of Infiltration.
Superior Sniper(s): Istaur Angau and any squad of Eldar Pathfinders he joins always automatically pass Target Priority tests. Furthermore, monstrous creatures and assaults (except where vehicles are involved) never block Line Of Sight.
Master(s) Of Infiltration: Istaur Angau and any squad of Eldar Pathfinders he joins may infiltrate, even in missions that normally do not allow it.
Advanced Ranger Long Rifle:
This Ranger Long Rifle has been modified to pack more punch. It acts the same as a Ranger Long Rifle that is wielded by a Pathfinder, but has AP5 instead of AP6, and always wounds on a 3+ rather than 4+.

So...what do people think?

Cheers,
Scott

·
Registered
249 Posts
OK, after a few play tests and a few discussions, I've come up with teh following:

Istuar Angau
Wargear: Shuriken Pistol, Advanced Ranger Long Rifle, Plasma Grenades, Haywire Grenades, Forceshield (5+ Invulnerable Save)
Special Rules: Independent Character, Fleet Of Foot, Pathfinder (As per Pathfinders), Master Strategist (as per Autarch), Master Of Stealth (As per Eldar Pathfinders), Superior Sniper(s), Master(s) Of Infiltration.
Superior Sniper(s): Istaur Angau and any squad of Eldar Pathfinders he joins always automatically pass Target Priority tests. Furthermore, enemy models (except vehicles) never block Line Of Sight.
Master(s) Of Infiltration: Istaur Angau and any squad of Eldar Pathfinders he joins may infiltrate, even in missions that normally do not allow it.
Advanced Ranger Long Rifle:
This Ranger Long Rifle has been modified to pack more punch. It acts the same as a Ranger Long Rifle that is wielded by a Pathfinder, but has AP5 instead of AP6, and always wounds on a 3+ rather than 2+.

So...what do people think?

Cheers,
Scott
That looks awesome, Eldar-sniper death from afar!
Few things;
Have you intentionally brought down his Autarch Save/Inv.save from 3+/4+ to 4+/5+?
Did you mean he wounds with the rifle on a 3+ rather than a 4+?
Enemy models dont block line of sight anyway, unless they are monstrous creatures; is this what you are trying to get across with his Superior Sniper rule?

But this is good work man, I like his rules and the fact you haven't made him too "uber", keep it up!

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Sorry mate, check it again, it's been edited to fix mistakes lol.

And Yes, the reduction to his saves were intentional (lets face it, 3+ armour with 4+ invulnerable AND 2+ cover in most cases is quite alot lol).

Cheers,
Scott

·
Registered
249 Posts
Yer, having proper Autarch saves with the Pathfinder cover saves would make him pretty much unkillable by range....
This is a really good effort at designing a character, might have to borrow the idea for my next battle and try him out if thats ok? I know you tried him out against Chaos a few posts back, but how do you think he would make his points worth against say, Orks or Nids?

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.