Librarium Online Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
A legend in my own mind.
1,480 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Who here prefers a tooled out Autarch or farseer to Eldar, Yriel or the phoenix lords. I left out Avatar because he is in a class all by himself. He can almost count as a special character with those stats.

·
Registered
52 Posts
If the points allow it, I never leave without Eldrad. Three powers per turn is just nasty. Cast doom, cast Guide, cast Fortune ( and in some cases, doom or guide again ), and let the rest of the army shoot the hell out of the doomed enemy unit.

( My oher choice is the avatar ( but you left him out, boo-hoo... ), because of his damn good stats. )

·
Registered
806 Posts
It's nothing new that Special Characters are FAR better then regular ones, even with increased point cost. That's why they are banned and forbidden (In his name...) on most tournaments. For players' sanity.

·
LO's Shadow Captain
12,783 Posts
It's nothing new that Special Characters are FAR better then regular ones, even with increased point cost. That's why they are banned and forbidden (In his name...) on most tournaments. For players' sanity.
Are they still banned? Back in 'the day,' special characters were often not allowed because they all required permission from your opponent to even be able to use. That is no longer the case; now, special characters aren't technically 'special' anymore, they are just named characters in your codex that you are 100% allowed to take. I didn't know tournaments still disallowed them... kind of odd, since now every codex is getting the same treatment with these characters.

Personally, in most cases I'd use an Autarch or Farseer over most of the named characters in the codex, however there are times that I will use Yriel, who is probably the only named character I'd enjoy using. I don't see the others as justifiable with the increased point costs; more units on the table will usually win you more games than an extra psychic power per turn.

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

·
The Singing Blade
1,037 Posts
Eldrad's redeployment rule is damned useful, especially with eldar being as specialized as they are, you really need them to strike where they're most effective.

On paper and the battlefield special characters are obvious best choice, but for some reason I find myself rarely ever using them.

~ L

·
Registered
806 Posts
Are they still banned? Back in 'the day,' special characters were often not allowed because they all required permission from your opponent to even be able to use. That is no longer the case; now, special characters aren't technically 'special' anymore, they are just named characters in your codex that you are 100% allowed to take. I didn't know tournaments still disallowed them... kind of odd, since now every codex is getting the same treatment with these characters.
Maybe you play in more eldar-friendly tournaments. In my country, fortunetaly, they are all banned. And that's good enough, I see no reason for Eldrad to be back from hell or Abaddon to lead a 50-men group strugggling to beat some loyalists. Both fluff and rule wise.

·
Registered
17 Posts
I have been running with no Psyker or Aur. Jain Zar is my bet for my current army. Got a turney this weekend at 1500 pts.

we wills eee how it wirks.

LD

·
Registered
183 Posts
Eldrad is one of my favorite Special characters, if he is with a warlock unit he is unstoppable, or at least havnt had anyone take out the whole squad yet, even 20 khorne beserkers have trouble.

otherwise my next favorite is Jain Zar, str 7 PW on the charge is just annoying, especialy since as a banshee having I10 with furious charge is awsome (does she get the bonus after I goes up to 10 or before?)

Otherwise i just go with the normal characters..

Though i have used Yreil, he just dies to quickly for some reason, he has never survided past turn 4 no matter how hard i tried.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Bah!

I was in a hurry when I posted. I was doing homework with my kid. Sorry I did not proof!

I was going to put my army list here. But I realised there is a army list forum so I will drop it there.

LD

·
1,271 Posts
Personally I think it depends on the point total. Most of our special characters aren't like some winged monstrous critter that can just operate all on it's own. They need friends. At 750 points I think you need to focus on bodies. I often play at 1250, and I'm not so sure about special characters at that point. And I don't currently have one in my points strapped 1500 point list. But once you go to 2000+ I don't think there's any question, get a special character.

And that's probably why many tournies don't allow them :p

·
Slave to the flesh
3,354 Posts
Barring Eldrad the auturach is a real a strength of the eldar list - it is one of the best HQ's in the game.

That said, a farseer is worth it for the warlocks and the ability to have a seer council on bikes.

The avatar and phoenix lords are nice, but neither are particularly powerful in an all round way, they both have weaknesses.

·
A legend in my own mind.
1,480 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Named characters are not banned here. That's just stupid, you can't find a way to beat them so you plain out bann them? That's like banning the dual lash prince army, however cheese it may seem.

·
Registered
806 Posts
Pff... it's not stupid, it's balancing. They're most unbalanced models, especially Eldrad with his re-rollable 3+ inv. And you can't beat him. And mostly because of this he's banned. And I am the one who voted once for it as well.

If you can't beat them, it suddenly makes toruney look diffirent. It's not only that you can't beat them, nobody can. And if a pro toruney master strategist gamer looses a game with new player who does not have any great skill and only the difference is that he has an uber-HQ... you may see it yourself. Only because pro-player wanted to have fluffier or not at all uber army, he lost.

Now tell me, what's solution? Of course your own special characters.

However, I do not think that 1500 point tournament is best place for named Characters to clash en masse.

·
The Singing Blade
1,037 Posts
Saying that a pro player lost because the new player took a special character, and that this creates imbalance isn't really fair.

It's akin to saying the pro player lost because he took a list full of slow and purposeful footslogging CC units against an Eldar army. Of course you're likely to lose if you don't take the best options available.

~ L

·
Registered
806 Posts
No, it's because overpowered Eldrad took 15 Lascannon shots, 27 lasgun shots and 3 rapid firing plasma guns directly. He was such target because tanks were already down.

Despite that, he happily jumped into combat from turn 2 on, blocking almost 12 inches of line of sight.

·
The Singing Blade
1,037 Posts
I agree with you that they're overpowered, I was just saying you could've been arguing it better - Your initial example was completely invalid.

~ L

·
Slave to the flesh
3,354 Posts
"Then night bringer is overpowered becuaise I cannot bolter him to death"
"But he is over 300 points"

"Abaddon is overpowered because he kills me in CC!"
"He costs more than a land raider and when he is not in CC he does nothing"

"The phoneix lords are overpowered because they are really good at one thing!"
They are only good at one thing, are T4 and all bar one doesn't have an invulnerable save"

Etc, etc. Special character doesn't exist anymore and bannig named characters is like banning tau from a tournament - "because I don't like them".

·
Registered
107 Posts
I personally prefer more men on the field to any of the special characters. I have been tempted to field Eldrad, but I can't really justify it when I could use the points to put Spirit Stones on my Wave Serpents or to get more Dire Avengers.

Are the special HQ's good? Heck yes! But in most cases, I don't think it's worth it.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts