Librarium Online Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
195 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hello everyone ^^

I was sitting thinking about how I should expand my army and was looking through the book to see if I could find any interesting choices. Went through all the fun stuff such as Rough Riders and Valkryies to the more brutal and practical stuff such as Demolishers and Chimelta-squads. And then I came to them, the Special Weapons Squads. It's a unit I don't see being used very often and I started thinking why.

We have all the basic things against them, they're small, they're fragile, low BS, low Ld, they're simply enough a smaller Guard squad with the option of having more Special Weapons. But as I was going thrrough the options I found that there might be a few usefull ones, actually.

You could for instance make a "cheap" Chimelta-squad by getting them 3 Meltas and throwing them in a Chimera (bought for a Infantry Squad, ofc) or a Vakyrie. Altough this probably wouldn't be all to usefull, seing as they would cost 120pts, only 35pts less than a Vet-Chimelta and 5pts less than a PCS-Chimelta (which even has 4 Meltas). But if it is so that you'd need an extra anti-tank unit, and have already equiped your PCS with something else, they might, possibly, sometime have a place.

Then we have the option for the Pyro-unit, kitting them out with 3 Flamers and throwing them in a Chimera, or maybe more usefeully in a Valkyrie/Vendetta. Throwing theese guys in a Vendetta could give it some protection from outflanking infantry and cheaply make it scoring. Altough it comes at the same price as a naked Infantry Squad, it does put out a few templates of fiery goodnes.

Finally, we come to the one that I took particular interest in: Demolition Charges.
Yes, demos. I was starting to think about the possibillities of a squad armed with 2-3 of theese bad boys, mounted in a Chimera or maybe airdropped from a Valkyrie. The possibe havoc it could cause could well be worth the pricetag (75-95pts before transport). But, of course, there is a huge risk with this. Transporting them in a Valkyrie could mean that you'll scatter and blow up a 130pts plane, maybe even together with the Squad. But, would it not be viable simply for the surprise factor it might have?
(I am also thinking about this AFTER having a Marbo since he IS a lot more reliable)

Does anyone alse have any idea of how theese squads could be put to good use? ^^

Cheers.

(I seem to have accidently published this in the Army List part... Could a kind moderator perhaps move it to the standard Imperial Guard Page? Thanks ^^)

·
Drill Sergeant
10,215 Posts
Sounds good but there are SO many other units that can do the same job. you've already mentioned Vets and Command units for spamming special weapons. I can't really see a time when you'd need another unit for mass special weapons, well unless you were playing alot of points anywway.

They're good and fun but they're an easy kill point.

·
Registered
195 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
True, I was thinking, A unit like that is so expandable that one could move flat out with them mounted in a Valkyrie, grav-chute drop them and then throw the charge and flame. The Grav-chite would maybe claim 1-2 as casualties, but the ones deployed could REALLY put a dent in any kind of unit. The amount of hit's it could put in a unit of Nids/Orks is something to consider ^^

·
Registered
230 Posts
That sounds so awesome, but I roll Annihilation so often that I just could never consider running it. I already have to kill twice as many points worth of enemy models to win in kp games.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.