Librarium Online Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2,094 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
(1500 points that we are talking about here )

So after chagning my SW list...again...i haven't posted it up and i am currently converting 2 of my three BT land speeders in SW ones. In my list i have 4 lascannons, 3 combi-meltas, plus 3 melta guns for anti-tank in my long fangs and grey hunter squads. I recently added in two land speeders with two multi-meltas each for more AV14 punching power. plus the anti-mc secondary role helps :p.

Anyway. i have been thinking is 4 MM from 2 speeders overkill? Because recently i have been thinking of giving each speeder a heavy flamer and a multi-melta instead to ease the pain of dealing with genestealers, snipers etc.

But with alot of MCs i think being SV +2 or is the majority +3, i forget from time to time. if they are +2 should i keep the multi-meltas or should i swap two of them for heavy flamers?

I have Jotww for anti-mc and the weapons listed below:
4X lascannon
3x combi-melta
3x melta
( 3x TH for cc )
Plus 6x missile launchers
Plus debating on either 2 or 4 MM on speeders at the moment.

Does that seem abit to much if i stay for 4x multi-melta? Because i would like some better anti-horde, because i feel that's my weakest section as i all i have is three squads of 7 GH, with motw and another squad of 5 GH. all have bolters. However, i am not sure if i need it that desperately.

thanks
antique_nova

·
LO Zealot
2,610 Posts
I think the speeder with MM and heavy flamer is the way to go. MM for popping tanks. Heavy flamer for IG and Nids and Orks and other types of horde armies that are difficult to reduce numbers.

·
That Which Has No Time
1,451 Posts
click

I'd tell you to go typhoon. Great both against infantry and MCs as long as they have a 3+ save (which is the majority).

But you do lack plasma weaponry against 2+ saves, and you don't have many meltas and multi-meltas at 1,500 points either, because half your weapons are one-shot.
Keep in mind, though, that the double multi-melta is really only good against MC which aren't too (not much use in tank hunting since you have to be close to use them effectively, usually meaning you will have to move too far to shoot two weapons). So the multi-melta and heavy flamer landspeeder might indeed be the way to go for you, giving you flexibility while sustaining high-AV tank hunting and Sv2+ killing potential...
Don't expect your speeders to survive very long, though.

·
Hive Fleet Pandora
5,068 Posts
Typhoons are great, but not necessary in a SW army. That is because their Long Fangs are better and usally kitted out with 3-5 ML's each. Also, with typhoons, you'd be tempted to blast away from long range, making those last-minute objective-contests somewhat harder to do.

The most versatile is the MM/HF combo. I run 3 of those in my SW list and they're big headaches for my opponents. Should I get rid of the rhinos w/rune priests coming my way or the long fangs or the 3 land speeders that's going to contest my objectives at the end? They really apply the pressure on your opponent.

·
Registered
350 Posts
Something i have found to be useful and effective for lanspeeders is the typhoon version coming in from deepstrike on the oppoents half of the field (I put some posts in the LS tactica thread Red archer made).

With them you have the capability to come down anywhere you want and still have the range to hit things hard. I've felled many an enemy tank/ dreadnaught with those 2 krak missiles. And you can still wreak some havoc against enemy infantry using frag missiles (good at forcing things like dark reapers out of their hidey holes).

And again, its all at range usually, since your lowest range weapon is the HB, which has a 36 inch range. At 1500 points there are usually going to be corners of open by the 2nd/3rd turn, and a LS w/ a tml is going to have some very nice shots at the enemy's rear, assuming they've begun to move out.

To speak directly to the 2x MM speeders, they are not very good. If you move more than 6" you can only fire one, and considering how darn close you have to be with the MM you'll probably never get to fire more than one (at least in order to get the 2d6 penetration).

If you really want to run meltaspeeders, you are much better off taking a single mm. You get to shoot it and you'll save yourself 20 points on each of them.

Red Archer has a great tactica on line breaking speeders, which, if the purpose of these speeders is vehicle popping, probably what you want if you don't go the hit them from the rear with krak missiles route. MM/HF one's aren't terrible (they aren't my cup of tea personally, i've never had luck with them), though for the mm to be effective you'll have to get them close to stuff which isn't easy without deepstriking, and no matter what they're probably gonna die pretty easy, so its probably a waste to take a Hf for the points.

·
Registered
2,094 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
hmm can't speeders fire all weapons if they even move 12? i think you need to check in the BRB ( BRB = Big Rule Book ) or the BR one :). ( Black Reach ).
thanks
antique_nova

·
That Which Has No Time
1,451 Posts
hmm can't speeders fire all weapons if they even move 12? i think you need to check in the BRB ( BRB = Big Rule Book ) or the BR one :). ( Black Reach ).
No, you need to check the BRB, antique_nova.
Fast vehicles moving at cruising speed (between 6" and 12") "may fire a single weapon (plus all defensive weapons, just like other types of vehicles moving at combat speed)" - page 70, BRB. And only the typhoon can count one of its weapons as defensive - if it fires frag missiles.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.