Librarium Online Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have about 80 spinegaunts right now, with most of them painted. When I busted out the new codex, I was a little surprised that they now cost more then the standard gaunt, and they really aren't that much better. Plus they can't even be used for tervigon spawns.

So.. what do you guys suggest? get out the clippers and start cutting off arms?

What is everyone else doing with their swarms of cannon-fodder spinegaunts?

·
1,648 Posts
Well, don't know about how good the spine gaunts are overall. Here's some on-the-fly math hammer (may or may not be correct).

AP on both are the same so I'm not taking armor into account.

Spinegaunts vs. T3 - 37.5% chance to wound
Spinegaunts vs. T4 - 25% chance to wound
Spinegaunts vs. T5 - 12.5% chance to wound

Termagants vs. T3 - 33.33% chance to wound
Termagants vs. T4 - 25% chance to wound
Termagants vs. T5 - 16.67% chance to wound

The spine fists are slightly better at T3 and equal at T4 to the fleshborer. I have no idea what you are doing if you're taking termagants after T5 things (most of which will have a good save as well). Eh, overall I'd say keep the fleshborers, but if you have the spinfist models, why not.

80 spinegaunts cost 480. 80 termagants cost 400. For slightly better effect against T3.

Your call, really.

·
689 Posts
In my opinion, there's really no reason to take spinegants anymore. They're not that much better than fleshborers to be worth the higher cost. It's basically the same problem with spikerifles, but they've got a longer range which makes them a lot tastier than spinefists, but their efficiency is lowest of them all. I only relly see clean termagants or devourergants as the only good options for shooty gants in the new codex. I've yet to try out the template weapon, but I doubt their effeciancy.

·
249 Posts
gah. i only have 16 spinegaunts painted up and i'm stil not looking forward to clipping the arms for vanilla termagaunts

·
689 Posts
You could perhaps try to convert them to spikerifles :) I would love to hear how they fare.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts