Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 76 Posts

·
Registered
213 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A question for you

A spore mine fired by Bivore ... misses the targer .. misses everything, and is now just floating around .... as they do ...

Now if someone shoots it .. does it cost me a kp ... or does the unit of Bivs also need to be killed as well

While I`m at it .. same situtation, but it is now close enough to contest a objective, with out blowing up ... is that objective contested ???

Thanks

·
Firefly
4,209 Posts
Yes it is worth a killpoint and yes it can contest.

·
Firefly
4,209 Posts
It doesn't for a unit with the biovore. It becomes its own unit and therefore can contest and is worth a KP.

If you do some searches you will see this has come up a couple of times before.

·
Dark Eldar Zealot
3,699 Posts
. It becomes its own unit and therefore can contest and is worth a KP.
Hi,
I was under the impression that Spore mines could not contest objectives, table quarters or count as scoring units being “Mindless” page 29 Nid Codex.

Thanks.

·
Firefly
4,209 Posts
I'm working from memory here wiki (always dangerous) but I believe it states "cannot capture table quarters, hold objectives or count as scoring units".

Whilst it cannot "hold" objectives it can contest them.

·
Registered
472 Posts
I'm working from memory here wiki (always dangerous) but I believe it states "cannot capture table quarters, hold objectives or count as scoring units".

Whilst it cannot "hold" objectives it can contest them.
this issue arises because everybody tends to assume it is a unit, it has special rules and follows its own subset not the general rules. when a rule is found to be lacking we tend to fill in the gaps with what we feel to be the logical additions.
while your quoted rule is correct the argument can go either way, due to the unique set of rules it follows one can argue it is not a unit and therefore cannot contest...nor count as KP.

·
Registered
744 Posts
For those who feel that spore mines fired from a biovore count as a kill point if they miss and land on the talbe, what about if they hit and explode instead? Afterall they technically do not explode until the end of the shooting phase (Tyranid codex: Detonation, page 29) so they still would have been a unit for a short while - it's just that they don't actually get placed. Is this not similar to a deepstriking unit that gets destroyed accidentally in the deepstrike? Even though a destroyed deepstriker was never actually placed on the table your opponent gets the kill point for it. This would mean that by taking biovores your opponent automatically gets 6 kill points without having to even kill anything for it unless you don't fire them in which case they weren't worth taking.

Somehow I don't think this was GW's intention and I expect it to eventually be FAQ'd out of existence. Until then though, just don't use biovores.

·
Firefly
4,209 Posts
personally I agree with you. But a lot of tournaments are enorcing then as a KP.

·
Registered
167 Posts
personally I agree with you. But a lot of tournaments are enorcing then as a KP.
In Games Workshop's own 'ard Boys Tournament , spore mines did not give up a kill point. Funny really. They should just errata what gives and doesn't give a kill point just to satisfy people.

·
Registered
472 Posts
In Games Workshop's own 'ard Boys Tournament , spore mines did not give up a kill point. Funny really. They should just errata what gives and doesn't give a kill point just to satisfy people.
no fair I was gonna say that!

·
Dark Eldar Gerbil
1,522 Posts
That would be a lot of work and it seems like they didn't really care to do a lot of work when turning everything into kill points.

I'm not really a fan of the things but they do make for some interesting decisions.

Really it comes down to asking before a game.

ZenGamer: I believe that they are not yet a unit as they have yet to be placed and you don't roll to see if they come on like you do with a deep striking squad.
I will admit however that this is a grey area.
Deep striking says they are eliminated at the end of the gae if not deployed. Does this acoumnt for any biovore ammunition as well, fired or not? I ask as if you do not fire it then you have a number of mines off the table that could have been units and as a result are not units on the board at the end of play.

·
Dark Eldar Zealot
3,699 Posts
If Spore Mines are a unit then –

1. Can they run?
2. Can you attach independent characters to them?

·
Registered
744 Posts
ZenGamer: I believe that they are not yet a unit as they have yet to be placed and you don't roll to see if they come on like you do with a deep striking squad.
I will admit however that this is a grey area.
Deep striking says they are eliminated at the end of the gae if not deployed. Does this acoumnt for any biovore ammunition as well, fired or not? I ask as if you do not fire it then you have a number of mines off the table that could have been units and as a result are not units on the board at the end of play.
I agree with you - it's a very messy section of the rules. I was just illustrating a point and I really do believe that spore mines should (and may) be FAQ'd so that they do not give kill points and cannot contest objectives. If they're non-scoring, they should be completely non-scoring. Afterall, they're ammunition that sometimes doesn't explode immediately, not living, thinking beings.

But for now it's a weird situation that should probably be ruled that spore mines give kill points... which makes biovores more or less unusable in 5th edition until a new codex or a FAQ comes out.

·
Fun guy from Yuggoth
772 Posts
If Spore Mines are a unit then –

1. Can they run?
2. Can you attach independent characters to them?
But if they aren't a unit, what is? That is to say, what makes one thing a unit and another not a unit?

·
Registered
472 Posts
But if they aren't a unit, what is? That is to say, what makes one thing a unit and another not a unit?
that is covered on page 3.
for those without Eidetic memory a unit is defined as one of the following: Infantry, Beasts & Cavalry, Monstrous Creatures, Jump Infantry, Artillery, Bikes/jetbikes, Vehicles

which one are spore mines?

·
2,076 Posts
As for them contesting objectives.
I for one, would not like to be the luckless guardsman who was told to take the objective held by the floating bomb who explodes when I go near it.

·
Pedantic Englishman
1,229 Posts
As for them contesting objectives.
I for one, would not like to be the luckless guardsman who was told to take the objective held by the floating bomb who explodes when I go near it.
Commisar voice: COWARDICE! *bang*

RAW, I think they do give a KP, as they certainly don't form a unit with the Biovores, and I can't think of anything similar that exists but isn't a unit.

I suppose it's similar to booby-traps and minefields... But as it's never even hinted that they're treated like those...

Anyway, personally, I don't think they should give away KPs... but RAW, there's nothing which exempts them from this.

1 - 20 of 76 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.