Librarium Online Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
190 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Today the following comes up.

2000 points Nids V Marines.

Dawn of War deployment, I am to set up first, but first I have to do my 3 x single spore mines via Orbital bombardment rules. So I do, I place them about 2' apart along the entire length of the table in the marines deployment zone.

I then place 1 Tervigon (HQ) and 60 gaunts (2 x Troops) on the field. Hard up on the centreline.

This now means that the marine player cannot place any models on the table as "no model may be deployed within 18" of an enemy model"

Is this right... As it is stupendously over powered. You can keep his entire army off the table and butcher it the moment it arrives!!

·
BANANA!
1,161 Posts
I have to laugh! That sounds amusing and annoying for the opponent. I can't find anything that would make the situation illigall, but....

XD

·
Registered
961 Posts
It's not illegal (assuming their Orbital Bombardment specifically tells you to put them on during deployment, not your first turn) but it's not particularly overpowered. They just roll on first turn under Dawn of War rules, while you have nothing to shoot during your first turn.

·
Scourge Lord
1,638 Posts
Well, it would suck when playing objective missions against 'nids. It's hard to capture objectives when the enemy is already swarming all over the board and you have to enter off the edge. And by the time you bring in reserves, the bugs will be ready and waiting in defensible positions (or denying area to deep strikes & outflanks).

·
Registered
2,638 Posts
my 3 x single spore mines
Read your codex. Spore Mines are taken in squad sizes of 3-6.

via Orbital bombardment rules. So I do, I place them about 2' apart along the entire length of the table in the marines deployment zone.
The Orbital Bombardment rule requires you to Deepstrike them. Either you forgot to mention your scatter rolls, or you didn't roll scatter at all.

·
Registered
190 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Good point psi. It's pretty unlikely that none of the three clusters will scatter and open a hole in the coverage somewhere.
True, I did forget that they came in 3 - 6 squads, but I did scatter them and the point would still be valid if I had 3 x 3 .

As each cluster would prevent and models deploying within 18" AND my huge horde on the centreline prevents deployment any further than 6" from their side of the board. This massively limits their options, on my case to effectively nil.

The dark green is my deployment, the light green is how much of the table I block with my deployment. The orange dots are the target points for the spore mines each is 12" in from the nearest edge, the orange circle is the amount of the table that is blocked by a hit and the red circle is 7" away from each target point.

This shows that any scatter away from my deployment is in my favour and just how much this can affect deployment in Dawn of War missions.

Imagine the large ruin you can deny to a shooty army, the large forest that is now out of bounds to kroot.....

·
Registered
2,638 Posts
I think you're little tactic is only gonna help against armies containing lots of footsloggers or stationary heavy units. Frankly, Dawn of War already limits them for you.

Opponent's with fast and/or mounted armies should be wise enough to leave everything off the board to come in first turn with this deployment type.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts