Librarium Online Forums banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i recently bought a can of black spray, citadel one, and after i sprayed on a light layer on my marines, the paint layers just cracked, giving this very ancient texture that looks stupid. what the hell's wrong???

·
Registered
76 Posts
I've heard of the problem before...unfortunately, I think Citadel sprays work better once you get about half way through the can. <_<

·
Registered
969 Posts
Well... it also depends on whether or not you washed the minis before you spray painted it. Plus spray paints tend to do that sort of thing if there is high humidity, too high or low temperature... these factors tend to affect spray paint in such a way.

·
Registered
1,770 Posts
Depends on how you treat the minis.
Touching them again and again with greasy fingers before you spray them won't exactly make this look better.
Rather keep a long distance from the models, trhen you get the rough surface that actually is the best undercoat when it come to ge a coat for other paint ot hang on to.

·
Lord of the Household
1,733 Posts
Also, did you shake th can properly? It needs a good shaking for at least 30 seconds before use...

·
Registered
85 Posts
I had a can of Ultramarine Blue spray paint but it would always come out much lighter then the paint from the jar. It screwed up my Land Raider and one of my Dreads.

Please heed my advise and STAY AWAY FROM CITADEL SPRAY PAINTS.

·
Registered
841 Posts
i never use sprays for my models
just but a 'blob' of black on ur paintbrush (a crappy one will do), clean most of it off with a sheet of paper towel, then drybrush the model and voila
:)

·
Registered
60 Posts
If you want a truly reliable spray-on coat, either track down black primer from a company called "The Armoury" (DO NOT USE THEIR WHITE THOUGH), OR use black Krylon brand spray paint.

Don't buy Citadel anything. Their crap is garbage and you have to sell a major organ to afford it.

·
Registered
878 Posts
If it's too watery, it won't work. This is caused by humidity, being too close, spraying too much, etc.

·
Registered
222 Posts
spray in short bursts and just get the mist to hit the figures, not the stream (meaning spray like 18"-24" away) spray during the afternoon when its hot too.

·
Registered
199 Posts
thats really wierd.....the spray paints ive used (citadel) have always worked really well and unless I did something stupid (like not shaking enough) it behaved

The other 3 or so brands of spray paint i have used were sickening, its a really good way to wreck your minitures, luckily i had plenty of expendible Bretonnian bowman models

·
Registered
229 Posts
If the paint seperates like you described then most likely you have some type of oil on the miniature.

If you handle your miniatures a lot before painting them, wash them down with some brake parts cleaner from your local auto parts store. You will need to do this before you glue them though, as the chemicals can dry out some glues. Also, make sure to not get this stuff on your skin, as it is toxic. It evaporates very quickly and leaves the surface free of all oils that can ruin your paint.

I always use spray paints on my minis. I use black for an undercoat and the acrylic black undercoats are too thick for my tastes. They seem to hurt the amount of detail visible on the models.

I use plain old flat black Rustoleum and a grey primer. Both of which are available at any hardware store. The colors are very consistent and it is all very cheap.

·
Registered
49 Posts
sounds like either you havn't shaken the can enough, shake even after you can hear the ball, or that the minis have a foreign substance on them, most likely oil.

I use citadel black spray for all my minis and it is, in my mind anyhow, the most reliable undercoat available. I live in Ireland so I lack the shops such as Home Depot that the States are gifted with. I don't know how much Spray is over there but its about €7 over here.

Cheers

·
Registered
593 Posts
Hmmm, ive never had any problems with citadel paint. lol, even Laurence Llwelyan Bowen from changing rooms (who, if your not from the uk, is a poncy interior designer from a uk home improvement show) used citadel spray.

Do not, however, under any circumstances, no matter how little cash you have, and no matter how tempting that can of car spray paint looks, do not buy it. It should be obvious to most people, but sadly, it wasn't to my friend, who decided to use it to spray his brand new land raider.

If you dont know, citadel spray is designed to shrink when it dries, so as to help stop filling in the details. Car spray paint, however, expands to fill in cracks and the like. My friend ended up with a black brick, which no amount of brake fluid would shift. £30 down the drain.

·
Registered
857 Posts
I use Citadel spray, and my only complaint is its tendency to come off if the figure is touched by skin. My sisters all look like they use shampoo with lead oxide.

·
Registered
229 Posts
Hmmm...I've never heard of "car" spray paint.

·
Registered
49 Posts
On the subject of Car spray paint, its excellent for scenery. Works brilliantly on cardboard if applied in thin layers. Does exactly what K-Tana says happens, fills in the cracks.

On that subject as well though, if car spray paint is applied in about 4 thin layers figures turn out perfect. you'd have to up it to about 6 layers for plastic minis though.

Car Spray Paint is usually found in Autoshops and the like, Carplan make a brilliant range of paints but there is another one whose name escapes me right at the moment.

Cheers

1 - 20 of 31 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.