Librarium Online Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
402 Posts
Im not sure about the colour sceme.If I were to use blue as a base colour I would use a contast to this like an orange or red. The bases are a bit bland.FRom what I can see the sand hasnt been painted, which is fine if you want a desert theme but they could be more intresting I think. I cant see if you have used any highlighting techniques but they should be emphasised on models like Warhammer to make them more lifelike, espescially when tau armour is so flat and open.Hope this helps.

Tygra

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Tygra said:
Im not sure about the colour sceme.If I were to use blue as a base colour I would use a contast to this like an orange or red. The bases are a bit bland.FRom what I can see the sand hasnt been painted, which is fine if you want a desert theme but they could be more intresting I think. I cant see if you have used any highlighting techniques but they should be emphasised on models like Warhammer to make them more lifelike, espescially when tau armour is so flat and open.Hope this helps.

Tygra
The blue looks a lot brighter in the picture than it is in real life. If I can find a place to take the picture without the flash (my house is really dark) I will take a different picture so you can see. In person the tanish yellow is brighter than the blue so it looks nicer.

The bases are little rocks (dunno if you can paint that) with static grass. I would like to start doing fancier things with the bases though. As for highlights... its an art I have not mastered yet so I haven't done it.

·
Registered
402 Posts
I had a second look at the pics this morning and noticed a few things you may wish to change.Im sorry i should have said last night that I couldnt comment on the big pictures, my internet is screwed up and it wont let me load a whole load of stuff.LO is about the onlything I can look at, but I did get the third from last pic to load .IMO the gun barrels on the burst cannons should have some boltgun metal, oh and the railgun is still grey from the black spray in places, not something thats hard to fix when the guns are black,you cant get paint where you dont want it.Youve really worked hard on those recessed lines.they look really neat.Something I find difficult to acheive without messing up the rest of the paint job.

tygra

·
Monkey of Mystery
2,789 Posts
Best piece of advice I can give is to avoid using flesh wash (or is it brown ink?) on the cloth parts of the fire warriors. It makes it shiny and looks... funny. It also distracts the eye from the armour plates which should be the most prominent. Try using a thinned scorched brown instead, or start with a darker base colour and highlight the cloth. Tau often have very 'foldy' sleeves and trousers so they highlight well. Make sure you get complete coverage with the wash that you use too, it stops that slightly patchy look that can happen. And don't listen to the others, I like the blue (but maybe thin the paint slightly?).

Nice work, keep up the practise.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks for the input everyone. I just started my devilfish and tried using thinned paint... 2 coats and it looks amazingly better. So I will definitly do that from now on. I am going to take The Paint Monkey's advise and paint the pants and such a dark color then highlight the raised edges that will probably end up better. I like the colors, like I said above the flash makes the blue look pretty intense... looks good in natural light.

·
Banned
1,318 Posts
I'd maybe throw a dark tan on the light tan (dry brush) and a blue ink the lining and the groves.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts