Librarium Online Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
ive decided to mak a tyranid assault army but I hardly know anything about what I should buy

·
Registered
156 Posts
Well, since you are going for a fast army, I would say don't get the battle box. The fex and warriors are nice, but you don't need them.

Get a Broodlord for HQ, and enough genestealers to make up 2 troops. That's probably around 2-5 boxes depending on how big your army is. You might want some hormagaunts to help out with CC, but I wouldn't solely because they would look out of place. XP

Once you have the basics, then you can get some lictors or raveners to come from behind (Or just nearer to enemy lines etc) to take out or tie down your opponent's shooty units. Then additionally, or you could just get instead some gargoyles.

Later on, you might get a Winged CC Hive Tyrant to up the CC damage or a VC Tyrant to do some blasting from behind. A fex with weapons or a biovore to provide ranged support. Your pick, really.

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yeh I need Tons of help so if someone could post a list here (say 500p) that would be great

·
Returning Lawman!
1,712 Posts
Winged Hive Tyrant With Cc morphs,
Hormagaunts,
Warriors/Winged Warriors (For the Sypanse. You can trade for 1 or 2 zoanthropes but they are slower.)
Maybe a nice brood of genestealers for the rending claws.
And it may not be fast but a big ol' 'Fex with Posibbly Venom cannon and barbed trangler (For infantry and abit of tank fighting)
Some garoyles possibly but alot of people do not like them.
Death leaper+1 lictor
Thats what i think. alothough it probably really exceeds your points that you wanted...

·
Registered
361 Posts
I play a pretty fast list at 1500 points. I use the Broodlord as my HQ and have 5 Raveners, 1 Lictor, 39 genestealers and 2 fexes ( you need some VCs and Stranglers ). By turn two I'm assaulting with a lot of my army. I present a lot of priority for opponent to make his life difficult by breaking up the ravs into 3 squads and spreading out the stealers. I load up both flanks terying to get his troops to move into the middle and this tactic works quiote well. I've toyed with gargoyles but I'm a big fan of ravs and lictors and the stealers are a must in my list so there is just no room to add them. At higher point levels I add zoans and more stealers.

I will not go into win percentages, etc. I can only say that this list presents problems for marines and tau which I happen to see a lot of. Synapse can be a bit tricky for the ravs but I live with it as it has hurt me only on rare occasions. The best part of ravs is that you can staryt them on the table with FoC if DS is not allowed and lictors can always DS. Not being able to infiltrare your Lord is also a bit of problem at times but thankfully most missions allow it. Lictors also allow rerolls on reserves so if you want DS ravs, lictors become a no-brainer insertion.

At 500 points I just use a Broodlord and stealers and add enhanced carapace.

HQ: 180
Broodlord (80): E.Carapace
5 Genestealers (100): E.Carapace (retinue)

8 Genestealers (160): E. Carapace
8 Genestealers (160): E. Carapace

Unfortunately at 500 points genestealer lists are tricky. You need to stay in cover and wait for your opponent to get within charge range. If you can pull it off you will win. Twenty models require careful tactics.

·
Registered
235 Posts
this list is virtually all fast except the carnie and can take out tanks unlike a genestealer list

Hq 3 tyranid warriors 129
Extended carapace
Leaping
Toxin sacs
Adrenal glands Ws + I
Rending claws
Scything talons

Troop 12 hormaguants
Scything talons

Troop 12 hormaguants
Scything talons

Heavy support 1 carnifex 136
Venom cannon
Scything talons
Enhanced senses

this is a fast (except for carnifex) list that can deal with anything quite easily in 500pts and is easy to build upon, you can add a flying tyrant some raveners hormaguants or genestealers to get it up to 1000 pts in no time.

as an example of speed, if you had a 48" board and your opponent was as far back as possible your homaguants could be in cc turn 2-4 (depending on fleet of claw rolls) and your warriors by turn 4

·
Registered
670 Posts
If you're looking for fast units, i'd go with nice solid units of hormies, backed up by two units of stealers. I'd defenitley take some cc warriors (ST, RC, AG-I, leaping, EC (114pts for 3)) for the synapse control. I guess u'd also take a broodlord, and defenitely some raveners, split up howvere to make use of the three slots in the FoC. Lictors would be good to.

·
The Love Muffin
1,830 Posts
bloodthirst said:
as an example of speed, if you had a 48" board and your opponent was as far back as possible your homaguants could be in cc turn 2-4 (depending on fleet of claw rolls) and your warriors by turn 4
On a 4'x4' board, your deployment is up to 1' from the edge. Hormagaunts have a minimum charge range of 19", max of 24", so it is quite possible to get into combat second turn even if you opponent isn't boardering their own deployment.

This is the 500 [498] point list I started out with...

3x Warriors
-Extended Carapace
-Leaping
-Adrenal Glands(WS)
-3x Rending Claws
-3x Scything Talons
114pts

8x Hormagaunts
-Adrenal Glands(I)
88pts

8x Hormagaunts
-Adrenal Glands(I)
88pts

8x Termagaunts- 32
-Fleshborers- 16
48pts

8x Genestealers- 128
-Extended Carapace- 32
160pts

·
The deep down truth
5,714 Posts
Mephiston the king said:
ive decided to mak a tyranid assault army but I hardly know anything about what I should buy
This is my 2000pt fast assualt nid list, obviously you may not want to field 2000pts, but you can get ideas from it.

The whole list (apart from Lictors) can get into CC by turn two, it has exactly what is needed for a fast assault army speed and lots of distraction with masses of rending.
I would actually dissuade anyone without a lot of nid experience from fielding a totaly fast assault army and advise a balanced list until the tactics for nids are learned, then you can go for an extreme list like this.
Anyway hope this helps in someway as it gives you the framework for weapons fits / wargear for fast assault units

HQ Winged Hive Tyrant

Winged(obviously), Scything talons, Rending claws, Implant attack, Warp field, Adr Glands(+1I), Tox sacs. 189 points

Broodlord

Acid Maw, Extended Carapice, Toxin sacs, flesh hooks. 105 points

Retinue

5 Stealers with Ext carapice, flesh hooks, 105 points
===========================================================
Elites

2 Lictors 160pts
Fast attack

Warriors

4 with Winged, Toxin sacs, Scything talons, Rending claws, Symbiote rippers, Adren glands, 45 points each

2 with Winged, Toxin sacs, 2x Scything talons, symbiote rippers, Adren glands, 43 points each

Deployed in teams of 3 with 2 rending and 1 double scything talon equiped warrior in each team, total points for both teams= 266 points.

Troops

Genestealers

Extended carapice, Scuttle. 2 teams of 12 and 1 of 10 782 points

Hormagaunt broods

Toxin Sacs, Adrenalin glands, 3 teams of 10, total points 390

1997 points

I use the Tyrant, Warriors, Broodlord and retinue plus the Gaunts to close quickly and close down lines of fire and distract and split the oppositions units. The Stealers with scuttle and ext carapice plus fleet of claw should be in combat by the 2nd turn (1st with good deployment and good dice rolls)
The lictors are their to add a bit of disruption because I notice most opponents when they see my list set up in cover as much as possible, perfect for the lictor and they are good at taking down armour.

I wanted the list to be 100% close combat madness with zero shooting and with all that rending It deals with any list thrown at it.

By the way Bloodthirst, the best unit by far for taking tanks out in a nid list is a unit of stealers the sheer amount of rending a unit can bring to bear on a tank is astonishingly good and will deal with any tank better than a few glancing shots from venom cannons etc, the only thing they struggle against is skimmers but even then they will usually stun shock the skimmer, I have never had any trouble with vehicles when using massed rending.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts