Librarium Online Forums banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
309 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Being rather new to this I'm considering sarting an SM army so far I have 1 tac squad (from the battle of macragge box) and will probably be fighting tyranids mostly.

Any advice on what I should buy first please?

·
Registered
206 Posts
MORE MARINES!

I started just the same way as you...with the BFM box set. I then went out and got 2 boxs of tac. squads, and then a HQ...this gives u the basics with some options. As for your HQ choice it depends on how many points ur planing on playing, but a Space Marine Commander is pretty versitile as im sure ull be playing smaller point games first off. Then i got Dreadnaught and scouts. A list that i tend to play with is Commander, 3 or 4 squads or marines, dreadnaught and some scouts. It depends on how you want ur army to play, but tac. squads are MUST.

Hope this helps, good luck and welcome to the hobby.

...SquishyB

·
Slave to the flesh
3,354 Posts
Probably a chaplin would be a good buy for a HQ. I reccomend having at least 30 marines but 20 is the bare minimum.

A whirlwind is also a good buy as it devastates 'nids. A dreadnaught might be worth it (I love dreadnaughts) as they are an all round unit.

Maybe some assault marines for good measure.

Remember, you can never have enough marines. Hope this helps.

·
Registered
156 Posts
Heh. Now I know the answer. 8D Get another tactical squad, at least, and a HQ unit (Chaplain, Hero or Librarian), and go for as much shooty stuff as possible. There are specific weapon choices that might work better, but that's really up to ya.

·
Registered
309 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks, I'm thinking a captain (is a command squad a good idea), 2 or 3 tac squads and maybe a devestator squad. Shooting's simpler than cc. Does this sound good? and any thoughts on what to give my captain and heavy weapons marines?

·
Registered
92 Posts
You should invest in another tac squad (2 would be good) a chappie and some LST's with HB/AC combo. The AC and HB will rip through nids like butter and help contain their numbers. Also, I suggest equipping your tac squads with HBs. Assault squads would be good to attach the Chappie to, and equipping them with plasma is usually a good choice.

·
Slave to the flesh
3,354 Posts
Command squads aren't really worth it unless (@ 1500 points) you have an uber assaulty army. They cost too much for basically an expensive tactical squad.

·
Registered
309 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 · (Edited)
I never actually considered Land speeders, I'll have to think about that. Any advice on how to equip a commander, nothing too expensive points wise hopefully.

·
Registered
206 Posts
yea your best bet is goin to be shooting the crap outta em....as you proberly know.

I took a devestor squad into 600point games when i started and i was flamed pretty heavyly for it. But i was vs. nids once, and they just sat in cover and kept shooting, and they did dwindle their numbers, but they werent the best.

·
Registered
309 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Right, purely speculatively at the moment how does this army list sound for a tyranid killing army?

HQ

SM Captain
master crafted storm bolter
power weapon
100 points

Command squad
1 sergeant + 9 marines with bolt pistol and ccw
2 Heavy Bolters
180 points

Troops

10 man tac squad
missile launcher
flamer
166 points

10 man tac squad
lascannon
meltagun
175 points

Fast Attack

2 land speeder tornados with HB and AC
160 points

Heavy support

5 man devestator squad
4 HB
135 points

A few questions: Are the points right? Is this a legal army? Am I putting in too many Heavy Bolters? And most importantly, is it any good?

·
Registered
92 Posts
Nix the command squad.

Drop all your weapons in the tac squads and take HBs instead. Think about maybe taking another tac squad, maybe a 5 man squad this time with an HB. Oh and powerfist your sarges.

Beef up your dev squad. 8 is a good number there.

·
Registered
309 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 · (Edited)
More Heavy Bolters? I thought 8 was rather excessive if anything. Also I'm not too fond of the idea of having tanks, they seem awfully expensive and are basically big targets. Also are power fists for your sergeants really that great? they seem very expensive. I was thinking of having the command squad as my only cc squad and the rest firing away.

·
Registered
309 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 · (Edited)
Changed my mind again. Realised I needed more cc in the command squad But does the set up of weapons in the tac and dev squads look alright for a balanced, mostly anti swarm army?

HQ

SM Master
storm bolter
power fist
termy honours
120 points

Command squad
1 sergeant with termy honours, power weapon + storm bolter
9 marines with bolt pistol and ccw
2 meltaguns

Troops
10 man tac squad
150 points

10 man tac squad
150 points

Fast Attack

160 points

Heavy support

5 man devestator squad
4 HB
135 points

Whirlwind
85 points

Total 1000 points

·
Slave to the flesh
3,354 Posts
I (personally) would drop the command squad as they aren't really worth it at 1000 points. With the free points a whirlwind is a must (against horde armies it take out squads/mobs/broods at a time). Add another tactical squad and you will have a balanced list that is also a good basis for a 1500 list.

·
Ghost of LO
3,861 Posts
SM Master
storm bolter
power fist
termy honours
120 points
er, i hope you havent modeled him yet...

Dont field masters, they are the weakest HQ, with the least powerful effects.

Instead take a chaplain with jump pack, bolt pistol, and frag grenades, plus termintor armour.

Command squad
2 meltaguns
Ditch this squad, instead pick up a 10 man assault squad, sgt with powerfist, 2 members with plasma pistols. Much easer to use.

10 man tac squad
150 points

10 man tac squad
150 points
Make both of these 6 man, 2 lascannons, and 2 plasma guns, if that makes sence.

Then maybe make a third squad like this, or make a CC support squad like this:
10 men, sgt with powerfist, melta gun.

160 points
Very good choice.

5 man devestator squad
4 HB
135 points
Make these be MLers, then add 3 more bolter marines.

Whirlwind
85 points
this works wounders against nids.

Good first try.

·
Registered
309 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Quote:
SM Master
storm bolter
power fist
termy honours
120 points

Instead take a chaplain with jump pack, bolt pistol, and frag grenades, plus termintor armour.
I haven't got many models at all yet, only one tactical squad.

Quote:
Command squad
2 meltaguns

Ditch this squad, instead pick up a 10 man assault squad, sgt with powerfist, 2 members with plasma pistols. Much easer to use.
Assault marines are more expensive though, unless I'm reading this list utterly wrong

Thanks for all the input though, this is only speculative and I'm sure I'll end up changing it/adding to it over time

·
Registered
296 Posts
ForgedInTheFurnaceOfWar said:

Thats a big no no. Terminator armour cannot be combined with jumppacks. An artificer armour could work though.

·
Registered
2,076 Posts
To answer your question yes its all legal except for the command squad, it cant be 12 man. make it 1 sergeant, 1 heavy bolter, and 8 marines with bolters..
(& thats if u really want the cmd squad. personally i wouldnt bother, id use the points an a whirlwind or predator or something)

no its not too many heavy bolters. that is the best type of dev squad against nids!

I wouldnt go with a flamer and missile launcher in the same squad. a 12" weapon with a 48" weapon?? means one or the other wont be used. get rid of the flamer
same deal with the metla gun and las cannon (12" & 48").. change the flamer and melta gun to plasma guns or just normal bolters.
if u want flamers or metlaguns they should go in larger Close combat style tactical squads, not small shooty ones.
and trust me, against nids you dont want close combat. so yeah..

you should also make the two 10man tac squads 5 or 6 man shooty ones(like i said before)and have 3 squads instead.

another good cheap HQ choice would be a chaplain (reclusiarch) with terminator honours, bolt pistol & frags, he'll get the power weapon and 4+ invulnerable save included in his point so u wont have to buy them again.. only the bolt pistol and TH.
this should equal 102 points and would be more effective than your captain.
and if u had a spare 15 points u could give him artificer armour which would make his save 2+. and other 15 points could promote him to master of sanctity

1 - 20 of 22 Posts