Librarium Online Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey all, getting back into 40k after a year break from it and deciding to start Black Templar. As I type this i'm still slowly digesting the codex. Anways, could i get a little insight on whats effective, and whats not, any help would be appricieated. Thanks.

·
Registered
1,457 Posts
Generally speaking, the Emporer's Champion is all the HQ we really need. Usually you'll want to run him with AACNMTC, unless you know that there's another vow that'll be more useful against whoever you're fighting.

Though if you do find yourself taking other HQs, I wholehearted recommend the Holy Orbs of Antioch. It's stupidly useful wargear.

Also, go only footsloggers or only mechanized infantry. Mixing the 2 never works well. And be sure to max your squads if you footslog.

·
Registered
1,003 Posts
"AACNMTC" is a confusing way to say "the 'accept any challange' vow"

take this vow, it's pretty much mandatory, without this our army would suck

Dont bother with neophytes and foot sloggin, 10 initiates in a rhino it more worth the points

·
Torn ACL FTL
4,404 Posts
BTs are kinda outdated currently, but still good.

Generally though, the best ways to run them are foot slogging or LRC spam. If you want mech, SM/SW do it better. Between their super angry speed and preferred enemy BTs can mess up lots of things in assault.

·
Registered
230 Posts
Haven't been playing the army too long, but fwiw:

1) footslogging BT may not be the most competitive way to run them, but it is FUN. At 2k, I field 4 full crusader squads. No other army can run a horde of MEQs, and thanks to righteous zeal you can even make it to assault before everyone dies!
2) Land Speeders w/ MM are very helpful for an army that doesn't have a lot of amazing down-field shooting. Dreadpods w/ MM serve the same purpose with a little less "suicide bomb" feel.
3) Our assault squads can take melta bombs on every model for just 10 pts total. This is pure win. I run a naked squad w/ melta bombs sometimes and they always kill every tank they assault.
4) Buy the upgrade sprues. This one is kinda personal preference, but IMO the bits that come in these things are amazing and make crusader squads just beautiful. Gets expensive though.
5) Sometimes I run a naked marshal for ld 10 when I run a footslogging force. I rarely fail righteous zeal this way, and it is only iirc 85 pts.
6) The emperor's champion is one of the best combat characters in the game. Use him wisely.
7) Always run LC on assault termies. Our SS are only 4+ and re-rolling both to-hit and to-wound is way too good.
And finally... 8) terminators w/ 2 Assault Cannons and tank hunters are probably the best unit in the codex. Take them in every list, deep strike them, love them.

·
Registered
1,349 Posts
I've never played as, or against the latest BT Codex, but I am quite fond of reading through it. I suspect, agreeing with ==Him==, BT are one of the few viable foot-sloggers in our current mech-heavy climate. A full unit of 10x Initiates and 10x Neophytes is stupid cheap for what they do. And I absolutely love the fact that BT can purchase Veteran Skills still! On Dreadnoughts, nonetheless. Throw in the possibility of LRC as dedicated transports for Troops.. Despite being an older Codex, BT still have a lot that set them apart.

If I had the money, I'd be playing BT right now.. of all the Chapters, I like their fluff the most, and the models are pure win. Unfortunately, though, it's AOBR Vanilla for me, for a while. Glad to hear someone isn't being sucked in by the power-creep, especially for BT!

:beer:

·
Registered
365 Posts
alright, well, I dont really want to hi-jack this thread but seeing how I'm thinking about starting Black Templars too, I figured I might as well type in here instead of starting a new topic.

I was wondering,

1) is it a big loss having to miss librarians? I used to collect some Imperial Guard and some Tau. Didn't play with them, but never got to see much Psyker action with either. When i decided to play Space Marines, I thought, well they gotta have some cool Psykers... then I learned BT refuse to use them. A big loss?

2) what is the use of adding Neophytes to a unit of Initiates? Initiates being regular space marines and Neophytes just scouts, how is it a good thing to mix them in the same unit instead of having regular scout units?

3) Is it annoying to have Righteous Zeal, I imagine it makes holding an important fortification or something quite difficult... or wait, that's not really the point with Black Templars, right?

·
Torn ACL FTL
4,404 Posts
1) You miss out on psychic defense, but it's hardly a big deal. If you want psykers, Grey Knights are very much a viable solution.

2) Neos let you field 20 man foot squads and that many more attacks in HtH. At worst they're cheap ablative armor for your Initiates.

3) Righteous Zeal is what makes BT foot armies possible, the extra movement is a huge help. And since it's like a normal consolidation, you may move up to the distance rolled, but you don't have to.

·
Registered
365 Posts
hmm... regarding 3), and having re-read the books just now, i am confused. It seems to be rather conflicting.

The BT Codex states that "... an infantry unit (...) must move towards the nearest enemy unit. This is identical to a Consilidate move..." (emphasis on "MUST"?) while the 40K Rulebook states that "...they may move up to D6" in any direction..." (with emphasis on "MAY"?) (btw i couldnt find anything about Consolidation after a Massacre!, I'm guessing it's something from the 4th edition Rulebook?)

So one person could impetrate this as stating that the Black Templar unit MUST make the move it otherwise MAY make during Consilidation. While another could understand these two rules as saying, that the Black Templar unit must only make the CHOISE whether or not to Consilidate.

It's kind of confusing to me right now, as basically the Codex says they are oblidged to move D6" as stated in Consilidation rules, while these very same Consilidation rules state that making this move is entirely voluntary!

And regarding 2). I'm guessing that it would be best to give the Initiates and Neophytes mostly Bolters + CCW's, then?

·
Registered
230 Posts
The way I interpret it, when it says that they must move towards the nearest visible enemy unit it means that if they should choose to move, they must move up to 6" in the specified direction. In this way, it supersedes the wording in the Rulebook, which states that this consolidate move may be made in any direction. The only bad thing about RZ is the possibility of having to make a fall back move after losing just one marine. This is why marshals are worth it sometimes, especially for a foot army. Failing that morale check and ending up another 12" away doesn't help at all...

·
Registered
230 Posts
Aye, true, but Chappies are more expensive and give fearless to only one squad.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.