Librarium Online Forums banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Nox
1,705 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
So, got my eye on Warmachine. Mainly the undead nightmares of the Cryx. So, I'm getting the MK II rules tomorrow, and I'm currently looking about as to what I like. I've been reading up on them, and the playstyle of both the Casters I like seems to revolve around bonejacks, and long range sniping. The units I like the look of at the moment are:

Asphyxious
The Witch Coven
Bane Knights (so awesome looking)
The Wither Combine (Undead tech priests!? Need I say more!?)
Bile Thralls (I like the guns they have)
Nightmare
the Deathjack

Now, units I understand Cryx do fairly well with, are Bonejacks. So the plan is to have 3-4 bonejacks (probably deathrippers, I like cheap stuff) in a list with one Helljack. More than likely if I'm using Asphyxious I'll run the Deathjack, and the Nightmare with the Witches (mobility seems to go really well with their ranged assassinations).

So, what I'm looking for is some tips for using these units well, for an almost total newbie, some general Cryx tips would be much appreciated. As well as things to look out for from other armies that Cryx are vulnerable too.

Maybe even a starter list if you would be so kind? :) 300-500 points or so would be nice. Or if it's MkII 35.

Thanks in advance!! Give me a hand <3 Except Menoth people. I've seen them in action and I dislike them already. >=[

Archy

Edit: So I got the rules a little early, did a bit of jiggery pokery, after reading them through quickly. Here's what I've got:

List One
Witch Coven

3 Deathrippers (Arc Nodes basically)

Nightmare (Very quick arc node, and quite scary too. Reach, speed, ghostly, infernal machine, ouch)

Min unit of Bane Knights (the front line. Hard, fairly quick, ignore terrain, what's not to love?)

Min unit of Bile thralls (for going behind the bane knights at first, and clearing holes in enemy lines to run arc's through)

Withershadow Combine (this thing hurts, my friend plans on running 2 gorgons and 2 phoenix. These should do the trick nicely)

Scarlock Thrall (do I need to explain?)

35 pts (5 Warjack Points)

The plan for this list is to march up, use Nightfall to get some nice positions, then purge, or fight my way through the enemy lines. Keeping the Nightmare as a kind of "Wild Card" (with a potential to move through things at SPD 10 etc), keeping warjacks confined and hopefully Cursed then beset on by the Withershadow Combine. The ultimate play however is to hopefully fire my Bonejacks through enemy lines then deliver 3 Stygian Abyss' through it into the enemy warcaster. Otherwise I plan on keeping the army safe as it marches over via spells, and the feat. As it is fairly fragile.

List Two

Asphyxious

2 Deathrippers (Arc Nodes)

Cankerworm (Has nice synergy with Asphy. Shame it isn't an arc node)

Nightmare (Goes well with the worm I think, again, missing the arc node though)

Scarlock Thrall

Withershadow Combine (I just love these guys)

2 Min units of Mechanithralls (Awesome.. zombies with powerfists)

Min unit of Bile Thralls (love em :D )

2 Machine Wraiths OR Bloat Thrall OR Upgrade Nightmare to Deathjack (Can't decide, thoughts?)

35 (6 Warjack Points)

This list is basically pick off the jacks with the rather powerful anti jack capabilities in this list, then go for the infantry by storm (bile thralls and Asphy's trait, as well as his spells).

So, which would you recommend? Any changes to either? Any advice welcome

Thanks!!

·
Sir Proofreader
4,251 Posts
Well... I can't really help you all that much. I had a basic academic knowledge of Cryx back in Mk I with an intention to start one day, once I finished other projects... which of course are still dragging on and thus I haven't started any Cryx.

And they've gone and released Mk II and I haven't really looked in to that at all.

And I did used to have some links to some decent starter guides on the Cryx that were on the Privateer Press forums, but these were based on Mk I rules and they've also just updated the forums and not copied all the old threads across, yet. So I can't even link you to anything.

All I really remember is the (mock) angry advice I read about the Witch Coven (and Deneghra) which was; "They're Witches! Play them like Witches!" which was in essence saying keep them the hell away from anything nasty and use all those arc nodes you paid for.

Maybe I'll just hang around in the shadows hoping you post some pictures of your minis or something.

·
Nox
1,705 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
Well if you're starting Cryx then it's in the shadow's you belong. :dance:

Mini pics won't come till after december. Maybe a little sooner if I get a model or two. But you're more than welcome to lurk in my thread. :)

Archy

Edit: Ok, got my starting list. I love it already.

Witch Coven
+5 Warjack Points

Scarlock

2 Deathrippers

Deathjack

Reaper

Withershadow Combine

Bile Thralls (5+Leader)

Machine Wraith

Ok, notes. Yes, it's very small. But there's two helljacks in there (one of them being the deathjack) as well as Bile Thralls, and the Combine. I've already got a few nasty tricks worked out. Thanks to the Deathjack's pseudo arc-node ness, I can basically give what it's fighting -2ARM, and give the Deathjack +2 MAT. Pretty nice, considering the damage a Deathjack can do (especially when boosted, and it gets 2 free focus points a turn). Chances are with that combo it'll level an Ironclad without even receiving any extra focus. Ouchy.

Next up we have the reaper + combine. Using an arc node to create a lovely mist cloud in front of my reaper, it can pull things to it (boosted, RAT 5 is nothing to write home about) through the cloud, things that are easy to hit. Things like Heavy jacks. If you look at the Combine rules, you will see that if all three get to attack, chances are whatever jack they're hitting will take some intense damage. Pretty nasty. In addition to allowing me a basically free +2MAT and SPD on my deathjack as long as the combine is within my control zone (which for the sisters, is massive). And if they destroy it, I can make myself some free seethers. Ouch!

Speaking of which, we have the sisters. I discovered they work very well in a jack heavy army, mostly because they have the focus to run multiple helljacks. And their magic, while powerful, pales in comparison to gaspy, or denny (in my opinion) once you get to the nitty gritty. So that gave me the idea to run this wonderful list. Also, with the fantastic powers of Occulation, I can keep my whole army stealthed/invulnerable on the way over, and still have focus to spare. Thanks to perfect conjunction. Enough focus to give each of my jacks a point to run, and still have one spare. It's quite nasty in all honesty. Of course I can drop the upkeep once I get closer to the enemy and get to hit things with Stygian abyss.

But the overall plan is to completely decimate two units a turn (using the aforementioned combos) while using the machine wraith and bile thralls to keep wanton fast things away from my witches.

Also, the filth that is Curse of Shadows being cast on units to allow the 13" charging Deathjack complete access through them to whatever is behind them. I actually giggled a little when I read that.

In essence, this army suits me very much. It has plenty of dirty tricks and comboes to keep my mind entertained while I get to grips with the game on the table.

P.s. I know I seem to be very confident on my enemy playing a very jack heavy list. Well, he is! He's in love with the new Myrmidon's from RoS and will be fielding no less jacks than I am, perhaps more. So I can take the units I like (combine! <3) and still have a great use for them.

Thanks, any criticism, tips etc will be much welcomed!

Archy

·
Sir Proofreader
4,251 Posts
Mini pics won't come till after december. Maybe a little sooner if I get a model or two. But you're more than welcome to lurk in my thread. :)
Ah well. Patience is meant to be another virtue of the Cryx, and I don't mind waiting!

I like the idea behind your list. It certainly sounds like a solid plan, so here's hoping it works for you!

You sound like you only have the one opponent at the moment? Just a temporary measure while you get in to the game?

·
Nox
1,705 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Only one guy near me plays the game. The plan is to start playing it at the local, and get other people interested. :)

·
Sir Proofreader
4,251 Posts
Hope that works out for you, then! A pretty good time to do this, too, with Mk II rules just coming out. Actually, the more I think about it, the more I think I should be starting now as well!

·
Topic Creator Deluxe
2,146 Posts
Me too. I just stumbled across this game and I love the look and feeling of the models. That's enough for me to start. Just hope any in the local circle plays as well.
Pretty funny so many start playing at the same time.

one question though: Are all Warcasters named? Seems we have 4 (Skarre, Asphyxious, Deneghra and Goreshade) and the other factions also have 4-ish. There must be more that 16-ish Warcasters to use?
What happens if I battle another player that uses the same named Warcaster as I?

I don't have the books yet so I really doesnt know anything about Warmacine otherthan I like the looks of it.

·
LO's Shadow Captain
12,783 Posts
You seem to have a fair few bit more than only four warcasters, not even counting the epic versions of each. Every faction has approximately the same number of 'casters, but each book has a couple more. You have the starting 'casters in Prime Mk. II and you'll get the rest when Forces of Warmachine: Cryx comes out.

Librarium | Online | Forums

·
Sir Proofreader
4,251 Posts
What happens if I battle another player that uses the same named Warcaster as I?
Obviously, using some of the deepest darkest sorcery known to the Iron Kingdoms, someone has created a dopleganger of your caster. Hearing of this, the original caster must seek out and destroy this substandard imposter.

I think, in reality, you just ignore it. I'm not sure what the Privateer Press stance on the same casters facing one another is.

Also, as Lost Nemesis mentioned, there are quite a lot of casters out there. There used to be... 5 books, I think? The main rulebook with the original units and three or four casters in them, and then expansion books with new units and casters. Now with Mark II Privateer Press are switching to a main rulebook and faction books system. I read my way through Prime Mark II in the past week, which was interesting. I've never really paid much attention to any faction aside from Cryx.

·
LO's Shadow Captain
12,783 Posts
Also, as Lost Nemesis mentioned, there are quite a lot of casters out there. There used to be... 5 books, I think? The main rulebook with the original units and three or four casters in them, and then expansion books with new units and casters. Now with Mark II Privateer Press are switching to a main rulebook and faction books system. I read my way through Prime Mark II in the past week, which was interesting. I've never really paid much attention to any faction aside from Cryx.
They're only doing that for this year; after this year, once all of the "Forces of Warmachine" books are released, they'll go back to doing the standard expansion-style books. The "Forces of Warmachine" books are this year only, to get everyone nice and updated for Mk. II.

·
Topic Creator Deluxe
2,146 Posts
Lovely. Thanks for the info.
I'll make the order right now by the breakfast table (always a laptop by my side).

·
running
1,274 Posts
Nothing happens, there isn't any problem in the game with this. The only time it ever comes up is with your own armies - you cannot use two of the same named character in your own army. This includes epic and non-epic 'casters. For example, in an army with two 'casters, you cannot use Goreshade and Epic Goreshade. You could, however, play a game using Goreshade and Deneghra against an opponent using Goreshade and Deneghra.

·
Topic Creator Deluxe
2,146 Posts
How strict is Warmachine fluff? Is there an 'count as' rule for example or room to develop fluff of your own? In that way your Warcaster would never fight itself, only perhaps a Warcaster with very similar [read: exactly the same] abilities and cost.

Is there any rules or fluff interpretations saying that factions never fight among them selves? Like a Khadorian Warcaster would never ever in a million years fight another Khadorian Warcaster (Cryxian backstabbers would maybe be allowed to fight among themselves).

[OT:]
Anyone know where you read your Rep descriptions? When I Rep someone I describe why and I just assume people do the same when they Rep me. Earlier I read it in my CP, but now I can't find it.
[/OT]

·
Registered
253 Posts
I would consider it fine to use a general counts as if you wanted to have a different caster (Cygnar only has 10 people who can actually lead from the front? I very much doubt it), but i would want it to look like a caster with those type abilities.

I'll note you might want to take a peep at the new cryxian plastic jack. The corruptor has the ability to turn any living models it kills into arc nodes. Defilers are now the best type of cryx arc node (Spray template weapon causing corrosion, +1 rat and all for 5 points is generally nasty).

My LGS got its hands on the cryx packs a touch early so i have had a quick peep.

·
Topic Creator Deluxe
2,146 Posts
Early this morning I placed an order on the Cryx Card Deck, the rulebook and the Battlegroup box with Deneghra, a Classic Slayer, a Defiler and two Deathrippers. Are they a good start, and can you tell me anything of how they play to give me a head start into things.

... and yes, I'll pick up some of the plastic 'jacks. They look absolutely stunning.

·
running
1,274 Posts
How strict is Warmachine fluff? Is there an 'count as' rule for example or room to develop fluff of your own? In that way your Warcaster would never fight itself, only perhaps a Warcaster with very similar [read: exactly the same] abilities and cost.

Is there any rules or fluff interpretations saying that factions never fight among them selves? Like a Khadorian Warcaster would never ever in a million years fight another Khadorian Warcaster (Cryxian backstabbers would maybe be allowed to fight among themselves).
I'm not sure what you mean by 'strict fluff.' The fluff is just there, much like in 40k. You can make up anything you want, but it's only as real as made up fluff in the 40k universe would be (or as real as any of this would be).

There isn't a written counts as rule but as long as it's obvious what you're doing I haven't met anyone who would have a problem with it. Much like any counts as models, it's best to check with your opponent so everyone knows what's going on.

Again, just like 40k, there aren't any rules prohibiting anyone from fighting anyone else.

·
Registered
253 Posts
The battlebox is good starting army, doubly so in mark II. The first thing you want to ask yourself is "What do i want out of my army?"

I basically take units i think are cool and then see the effect of them in battle. For example, i like undead pirates. Rengrave, + terminus + Revenant cannon crew + Ghost Raiders + pistol wraith = 18 model strong, undead army which can have tough, do quick caster kills against armies that aren't expecting them, take out hordes and warmachine armies, wreck jacks and looks quite pretty on the board.
I also have my witch coven army with bonejacks and heavy jacks because i like the coven but they dont work ingame without so many bonejacks.

I also have a goreshade and random different cryx units that no one seems to take due to every other option being generally "better". Its still a fun army though.
Unlike 40k, Warmachine armies dont have instantly better choices, and because most things when linked together are "borked!!!!1111one!!" you can feel safe that there is very very little cheese going on (Except the skarre Bomb... thats cheese).

·
Topic Creator Deluxe
2,146 Posts
I like the warjacks. That's what drew my eye to warmachine in the first place. Maybe the witch coven army with lots of 'jacks is what I'm aiming at. I just like the thought of lots and lots of metal monstrosities tearing up the opponents army. To have undead warjacks just makes things the sweeter. Recykling souls and flesh is nice.

·
Topic Creator Deluxe
2,146 Posts
I just read an article on Bell of Lost Souls. Click here.

It says that Warjacks are better and cheaper now than they were before. It sounds good to me, because I like them, as I said in the post above.
Also the effects of mechanics are better as a repaired warjack can now be activated on the same turn it's fixed.
Do Cryx have any good mechanics or the likes?

·
LO's Shadow Captain
12,783 Posts
Warmachine was starting to be called "Infantrymachine" back in Mk. I due to the fact that the warjacks were simply underpowered, while infantry were becoming increasingly more powerful. That definitely appears to have been addressed by Privateer Press in Mk. II, something I'm very grateful for!

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.