Librarium Online Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I am planning to start joining the ranks of the beards. I played Tomb King, Bretonnia, and Dark Elves. Sold bretonnia and dark elf, leaving Tomb King as my first and main army. I love to reign in the movement side of the game. I am more of an offensive player rather than a defensive one.

Right now, you might be wondering why i chose dwarfs as my next army. Frankly it is the models that sucked me in. I love dwarf models. After five years of warhammer, I can say that my painting skills has reach to a level that i can proud of. So i would like to paint a nice army with the models i liked. So to satisfy my need of gaming and painting, i want to ask all of you, great beards advices to my initial purchase and possibly future purchases.

So far i got myself the following from a trade :

Anvil of Doom
2 Thane
1 Master Engineer
1 Thane BSB

32 Warriors
16 Quarrelers/Thunderers

20 Miners (gonna convert them to hammerers. Cut the candles and switch great hammer frontage)
1 Grudge Thrower
1 Organ Gun

Im the kind of player who would like to have every unit type rather than doubles (doubles possible when i got everything). So i can have options and get the feel of the army in every different ways. I plan to purchase more models. The question is which models come in priority to close combat dwarfs? Should i buy ironbreakers? slayers? Metal Hammerers as second hammerer unit? Bolt throwers? But i do know that i want gyrocopter. btw, i plan to bring painted dwarfs on february tournament so competitive options is better.

Here is a rough list on my head.

Anvil of Doom, RoStone, RoSpellbreaker
Thane BSB, Strolaz, guarding
ASF Thane of pain / Basic Master Engineer with GW, brace of pistols

15 Thunderers, FC, brace of pistol, shield
10 warriors, shield
22 Longbeards, FC, magic banners (BSB)

20 Hammerers, FC, magic banners (ASF thane if i take him)
1 Grudge Thrower, Accuracy, burning, penetrating, eng with brace of pistols (ME here if i take him)

1 Organ Gun

With possible purchase as the following to complete the 2250 list

List 1
20 Hammerers, FC, magic banners
1 Gyrocopter

List 2
20 Ironbreakers, FC, magic banners
1 Gyrocopter

List 3
15 Slayers
2 Boltthrowers with runes
1 Gyrocopter

List 4 (skull pass purchase)
10 Quarrelers / Thunderers, Sh
20 Full block of warriors added to complete the small warrior unit from the above list
1 Cannon with runes
1 Gyrocopter

Which one from the above additions would prove better in competitive environment? Or you might have better purchase list? Remember that i only have one and a half month to paint. Suggestions is very much appreciated. Thank You.

·
Registered
115 Posts
Well, I have played Dwarfs for around 5 years now, so ignoring painting and comp, I figured I'd just list the things that I take and why.

First of all, I never use an Anvil of Doom. Alot of people seem to like it, but I feel it is very ineffective. I'm not going to go into detail, nor will I rebut any rebuttals against this. If you think the Anvil is good, that's fine. I always go with a Lord on shieldbearers. It gives him a great armor save and makes him immune to killing blow, which is fantastic. I also always run him in a big block of Hammerers. And..I always have the BSB in or near that unit. A block of 20 guys, immune to fear and terror, and rerollable stubborn on a 9 is an amazingly resilient unit. I've been back and forth on the Lord as far as defensive build vs. offensive. I think both are ok and work well depending on your play style. Ironbreakers are also very good, but getting stubborn and immune to fear and terror far outweighs a +1 armor save in my opinion.

Other things as far as effectiveness: Bolt Throwers, of course. Organ Guns are solid. Thunders are amazing. My favorite unit in the army is the Gyrocoptor. I'm never very aggressive with it, but the opponent always feels like he needs to deal with it, so it easily disrupts his army.

Finally, I don't know many people that do this, but 2 units of 5 miners. Dwarfs biggest disadvantage is the inability to move. My having 2 units of 5 miners, they can take or contest table quarters for 200 points.

Here is the list that I am currently running when I play dwarves.

Lord - Shieldbearers, Flaming attacks with x2 Str against To5. 1+ armor save rerollable, immune to fire and 2+ ward vs. first wound

Thane - BSB - MR(2), units within 12" get a free move

Runesmith - 3 dispel scrolls.

Hammers x20 full command, Standard - units within 6" get 5+ ward against shooting
Thunders(10 )x2
Warriors(20 )x2 3+ armor save
Hammerers(10 )x2 - used to flank charge things that charge the big block of hammerers or the warrior blocks. Can take a charge if necessary due to stubborn.
Bolt Throwersx2 - both Str 7
Organ Gunx2

Again, this doesn't take into account the amount of time to paint or the models that you have.

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Well the reason I take anvil is to make up on the movement phase. I have explained that movement is my best interest in the game. Anvil will help me with the movement reliably. Gyrocopter for this very reason too.

See the 15 man thunderer with command? They also march forward on strolaz move so within firing reach on the first turn. When the enemy is near or possible flanking, they reform into block and anviled to charge the enemy. (See the occurence of tk gamestyle :p ) will this work? Anybody tried them?

Regarding the dwarf lord build. Yes they are powerful, but they will make the army static and playing on the defensive side. You can't choose your battles. Dragons and cavalry will circle you all game long. And I'm gonna hate myself for starting dwarfs. :p

Gyrocopter will also help me with movement flexibility and/or charge redirection (like eagles but more expensive) so no double organ for me. I've taken miners as an option for anvil target but they seemed to be a suboptimal choice and could be random so I didn't pick them.

I guess it is safe to say that hammerer is the safe purchase choice for tournament.

·
Registered
110 Posts
See the 15 man thunderer with command? They also march forward on strolaz move so within firing reach on the first turn. When the enemy is near or possible flanking,
Unortunately, if shooters move with strollaz rune before combat they can not shoot.

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Umm, why? Strollaz move happens after deployment, before the first turn so it should be legal to shoot on the first turn cause they didnt move.

·
Blistering Barnacles!
895 Posts
Anvil of Doom, RoStone, RoSpellbreaker (good choice - may want another spellbreaker)
Thane BSB, Strolaz, guarding (get rid of strollaz and guarding and take mrogromril, spite etc to make your BSB really tough... I wouldn't take strollaz in this army, however much you like movement, Dwarfs are defensive and shouldn't be running towards the enemy much - you win on CR. It also means the BSB is expensive and can only take guarding - he's better off vanilla and very hard so he won't die and will benefit you with extra CR all game)
ASF Thane of pain (take this thane)

15 Thunderers, FC, brace of pistol, shield (leave shields but ditch command)
10 warriors, shield
22 Longbeards, FC, magic banners (good)

20 Hammerers, FC, magic banners (good)
1 Grudge Thrower, Accuracy, burning, penetrating, eng with brace of pistols (good, but get rid of the pistol,small waste of points)

1 Organ Gun (good, take two if you can)

I can't really be bothered to explain most of my input now; but belive me if you want a competitive army you should heed it.

A very good list on the whole, definitely take the Anvil. The guy who says it is ineffective has NOT played Dwarfs for 5 years... :act-up:

Reactions: Pixie

·
Registered
34 Posts
I would bump that 10 man unit of warriors up to 20, dwarfs are all about combat res so the more dwarves the merrier. also i disagree on dropping the brace of pistols on the engineer. I don't take grudge throwers that often, but my engineers always have it with my bolt throwers. The command on the thunderers doesn't really help you at all, i would take that off(if you have the points however you could keep the musician).

I think if you want to take strollaz you should, however it is going to be hard winning tournaments that way. The strength of dwarves is wittle down tough units with our shooting and then use our infantry to finish the job.

If you do keep the anvil/strollaz i would definetly take miners so that you can deal with any pesky flankers or warmachines.

Good Luck in your tournament (make sure you beat all the elves)

-ThatGuy

1 - 9 of 9 Posts