Librarium Online Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
ok me and all my mates have all decided that with the new rule book coming out in less than a month that it would be great to start fantasy. So i genuinly went straight for the army i liked the look of the most which is obviously dwarfs incase you didnt take the hint in the title. looking through the army book i sort of figured out how the dwarfs are gonna play out for me. i normally hit last in combat, i get good saves most the time, its a slow army. But looking at all the armies my friends chose and when i look at mine i feel as if i have a considerable disadvantage most the time.so we me and my friends will be making 750 point armies to start with and get to grips with our armies. so i was wondering if anyone can tell me how the dwarfs work in a game against most of the armies core units and what i need to look out for in a game and what i need to take to counter certain types of opponents.so please post away with some tips for all the units in there which you guys think i should take in a 750 point force. thx

·
quik-quik, kill-kill!
2,651 Posts
What are your friends playing? If we know who your regular opponents will be, it will help considerably :)

It's all personal preference. I feel a 750 pts dwarf army should have 20 warriors with shields and full command, ( 205 pts ) 15 to 20 longbeards with shields and full command ( 205 - 265 pts ) , a cheap thane ( thane, master rune of gromril and a great weapon, and you're done. ) ( 94 pts ) , and have
some units to support them from range. You can take 10 quarrelers with shields ( 120 ) and a bolt thrower with engineer, ( 60 )This should be effective enough. If your bolt thrower manages to shoot a knight or two, or shoot through the ranks of a unit once or twice, it will suit it's purpose. If the enemy has monsters, KILL KILL KILL!
with 15 longbeards: 684 ( that's 66 pts to buff up your units and hero. A rune of battle on your longbeards' banner, and say.. rune of resistance or master rune of challenge on your thane )
with 20 longbeards: 744

Dwarfs are formidable close up, and from long range. You should be able to hold out in a fight against most enemies but the most overwhelming force, or terrible bad luck. Dwarf core units are excellent, especially compared to that of most enemies. Longbeards, and sometimes even our basic warriors are comparable with enemy elite. 3+ saves, T4 and ws4 or higher is nothing to sniff at, combined with ld9 and good shooting back them up.

Just be prepared for being charged into the flanks, rear, or combo charged by multiple enemies, because we do not win really on kills, but by losing less models than the enemy. 1 or 2 warriors each round, while winning through combat res, and having a than in the unit slaughtering some enemies ( preferrably with great weapon ) . Best is to deploy your units with a terrain piece to anchor it, and protect that flank. Put your battle line slightly curved, so that it is harder to reach it's flank.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
well there are 5 of us but the main armies i am worried about are warriors of chaos and vampire counts.

reasons being chaos warriors core units are so amazing compared to all the other armies i seens core units and vampire counts because of their ability to 'regenerate' pretty much every turn and somehow the really weak zombies make me worried because they can regenerate faster and get stronger and stronger in numbers and im not sure that a group of 16-20 dwarf warriors is gonna be able to compette with that. I have considered taking thunderers to try and destroy the necromancers on corpse carts from a range.

The other armies being used are high elves, dark elves and skaven but i dont feel as if i cant take them on as chances are with all armies, that the opponent will have to come to my side of the field

but any tips on what to look out for from any of the armies will be appreciated thx!

·
quik-quik, kill-kill!
2,651 Posts
I will give you my own list. So far I feel it is a great all-comers list, and able to handle just about anything except maybe some very outrageous stuff that would need to have a taylored list to play against. Although I laugh at things like 2 steamtanks ( I kill those too easy to describe. )

My own list;

Dwarf lord• Great weapon, Rune of Stone, Shieldbearers, Master rune of spite,Rune of resistance
251 pts

Thane
• Battle standard, Master rune of gromril, Rune of cleaving, Rune of might
160 pts

Thane
• Rune of fury, Rune of snorri spangelhelm, Rune of cleaving, Rune of Stone, Pistol, Shield
147 pts

Runesmith
• Rune of stone, Great weapon, Shield
81 pts

20 Dwarf warriors
• Full Command, Shields
205 pts

20 Longbeards
• Full Command, Shields, Rune of courage
295 pts

10 Thunderers
• Shields
150 pts

10 Quarrelers
• Shields
120 pts

Cannon
• Rune of forging
125 pts

Bolt thrower
• Engineer, Brace of pistols, Rune of penetrating
90 pts

14 Hammerers
• Standard bearer, Gate keeper, Shields, Master rune of Grungni
256 pts

Organ gun
xxx pts

2000 pts.

A pretty balanced list in firepower and CC units, good all-comers, and good diversity in units, nothing double except 2 thanes. This might be a good goal to build towards, it's got pretty much anything for every occasion.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
very nice list it really helped me get an idea of how to build a dwarf list but i have a couple questions that only someone with experience could help me with. So which should i take out of thunderers and quarrellers and what problems should i expect with the dwarf warriors beside movement???

·
quik-quik, kill-kill!
2,651 Posts
thunderers & quarrelers, the age-old debate. It's all down to your personal preference. Do you want +1 to hit ( awesome ) and armourpiercing? Or do you want the longer range ( cool ) and cheaper in points?

If you are relatively short on points or want to use more points to buff another unit, go with the quarrelers. If you have the points, just go with thunderers.
I think a unit of thunderers is best to start with, because their armourpiercing +1 to hit shots can be a real menace and help you take down heavily armoured foes such as graveguard and elfish knights. If you see black guard, shoot and don't stop shooting at them!

But looking at the armies you face, I am unsure. 2 units of quarrelers would work best, if you had the points. Elves can be the sort of army that stays far away and uses it's own bolt throwers on you. I depends on what armies your opponents build. If they also have a good amount of missile fire, take the quarrelers to fire back. VC, Dark Elves, High Elves and Skaven aren't the best armoured bunch, so quarrelers should suffice, and the armour piercing of the thunderers isn't strictly necessary. The +1 to hit however is always nice.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts