Librarium Online Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Oh No! Not Him Again!
779 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have had the 5th edition guard codex for quite a while now, and i have finally got the money, and decided the theme for a mighty rock-hammer of the emperor army.
Im going for a mainly catachan themed army, just cause i love their background and style, and i love stracken and marbo...

Though going for a themed list, i would definitely like some hints on what to get from experienced guard players as, im no noob at 40k, but i need to know what works on the table, not just on paper....
So Basically, any good ideas on ANY units for guard to use, maybe any ideas for army lists would be gladly accepted... as im always looking to convert, and catachan converted creed does have a ring to it......

·
Registered
470 Posts
A good way to learn what works well is to play some test games with proxied models. Try out some of the different units and see what you like and what is effective for you. You can also go to the army list section and read some of the competitive lists there to see what they have in common. The units that are taken by the most people are generally the most effective. For instance, everyone and their dogs are using units of melta vets riding in chimeras.

·
Formerly Prince of Excess
3,560 Posts
I'd proxy up an army has been suggested. You should figure out what type of player you are, do you like Mech, do you like all foot, maybe a mix? How much do you like tanks?

Once you know that it's easier to go forward and make a list. Catachans as a theme would be tank light, Veteran heavy and use Marbo, Straken and Harker in 1500+ games. Creed is just a guy who sits back and tosses Orders, not Catachan themed.

·
Registered
281 Posts
Are you sure 3 special chars are necessary? meep...

But I personally feel jungle fighters are one of the more reasonable themes for lots of valks or vends which seem quite popular (highly based on personal fluff perspective). Quite literally the ride of the valkyries mwahahahah :soldier: (does anyone else think its a shame you can't attach assault cannons and flame-based weapons to valks?)

·
Formerly Prince of Excess
3,560 Posts
I thank god you can't because I'm tired of that reference every time I use a Valkyrie, or talk about one. Would just make things worse. I'm gonna start calling them Guardcopters so people hush.

Yeah they fit with a jungle fighter theme if it's Vietnam, I don't think Catachans make much use of them though.

Reactions: slobulous

·
Premium Member
4,800 Posts
The way to get ideas is to look through the Lists subforum and the battle reports section. Next step is to do some proxies (if you already have an army or can borrow one) and you can generally take things from there. If you're looking to buy something right away, two Catachan regiment boxes and a Catachan command squad box will get you the minimum requirements for a Guard army.

The Catachan fluff heavily favors Veterans without transports. It isn't a common setup and you will likely be better off finding your own playstyle while using Catachan models.

·
Registered
1,474 Posts
Are you sure 3 special chars are necessary? meep...

But I personally feel jungle fighters are one of the more reasonable themes for lots of valks or vends which seem quite popular (highly based on personal fluff perspective). Quite literally the ride of the valkyries mwahahahah :soldier: (does anyone else think its a shame you can't attach assault cannons and flame-based weapons to valks?)
Flamers... meh. I'm with you on assault cannons though. While we're dreaming... How about Vendettas as heavy support choices with the option for single-shot AP1 missiles? Or Armored Sentinels and Rough Riders as Elite choices. /DREAM

·
Oh No! Not Him Again!
779 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Yea, thanks, i havent proxied much, only one match with a 'penal legion' 1000 points i was dreaming of.... it sort of worked....

I was thinking of vets, maybe a platoon with spec weps squads with demo charges!!! The only vehicles i would have would be sentinels and the odd hellhound... maybe one or two transports... then just flamers, heavy flamers, demo chrges and a few meltas to see me through games. I've only ever played guard a few times, and all but one was against the old codex, so new guard are still quite baron (at least at my local club, me being the only one of 2 people who collect non marine armies.... yes, the name makes it obvious...

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.