Librarium Online Forums banner
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,

I want to start 40K and I've have chosen Orks. I don't have the codex yet so i can't post up an army list. I was wondering what would be a good start?

I was thinking about this:

Warboss

30 boyz

12 boyz with truck

Deff Dread

Would this be a good start?

p.s. Does anyone know me from druchii.net?

·
Registered
69 Posts
Sounds pretty good. Consider getting either a warbiker boss or making room in that truck for him, you want him in the melee as soon as possible after all. Get the codex right away though, since you might find some choices there you'll prefer and you'll be able to post a bit more detailed army lists here (if you need help that is). Don't try to minmax if you're new really. Experimenting and trying out is alot more fun.

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Can I make a warboss out of the biker box? And can a warboss join the 30 man squad or should it be reduced to 29.

p.s.

I have 20 (fantasy) Orks laying around. Can I just give them 40k weapons (are there leftovers?) or is there a big difference between them?

·
Registered
69 Posts
Warboss can join the 30 man squad but you better put him in truck or make him ride with a bike, since by walking he won't do much before turn 3 or 4 (depending on when you get to melee). I'm not familiar with the new biker box but I think you could make a biker warboss from that with a bit conversion without too much trouble.

·
LO Zealot
4,014 Posts
No difference

Can I make a warboss out of the biker box? And can a warboss join the 30 man squad or should it be reduced to 29.

p.s.

I have 20 (fantasy) Orks laying around. Can I just give them 40k weapons (are there leftovers?) or is there a big difference between them?
There's no difference at all between 40k orks and fantasy orks with guns attached to them. In fact, I know a 40k player who used fantasy orks and didn't even bother attaching guns to them.

There's no rule that says you have to use a specific model for a specific figure. Players are always welcome to create their own figures, and the same goes for a warboss on a bike. There are only three golden rules for making models in 40k (some tournaments may have more specific rules though):

1. Unless they're vehicles, without bases, the figures must be on appropriate round 40k bases.

2. All visible parts must either be parts from Games Workshop models, or hand crafted from base materials. Many non-official games/stores/events will allow you to use models crafted out of non-gw models or toys though (I remember one player had an ork dread made out of a Mr. Potato Head Jr., which he called 'Mr. Potato Dread').

3. The model must accurately represent what the model is, and what weapons and wargear the model possesses. Some places can be more or less strict about this, especially when it comes to wargear.

So you can take any of the bikes, give it the appropriate weapons, and call it a warboss. There's no rule against it. Warbosses tend to look more impressive though, so it might be nice to add some extra features to make him look better, but anything can be called anything, really, as long as it's on the appropriate base, and accurately represents the model.

In short, you can give a warbiker a powerklaw, and call him a warboss, but you can't clue two orks together and call it a bike. :)

·
650 Posts
The bases have to be the size of the model or bigger and round; meaning a small base model can be on a small, medium or large base if you want.

Vehicled do not require any kind of base, your choice.

WYSIWYG meaning that if you have certain wargear, it should be represented on the model. However "counts as" comes into play allowing you a bit more freedom. You are allowed to use any games workshop model as the basis of your mob on the appropriate base.

One of the great things about orkz is that they scrounge and cobble together all their gear so getting creative is a must and making sure the only thing coordinated they have is some kind of color scheme (skin, vehicle paint jobs, etc.)

If you go by some offcial tournament rules they should look like a unified army.

Orkz are a great army to mix some of the fantasy elements with giving them a more savage or scrounge look. One thing I will be doing is using Black orkz and putting the stormboyz packs on them.

Battlewagons and Lootz are purposely left out of the ork model line as you are SUPPOSED to go scrounge from other sources!!!

·
Registered
69 Posts
I think in ork boyz box there's enough bits for 10 slugga OR shoota boys so that'd make 20 pair of hands + what ever there is for da nob.

·
LO Zealot
4,014 Posts
Eleven

Does anyone know how many possible arms (left and right) I can get out of a single boxed set?
There's enough material for 10 boyz and a nob, but since you have different options for their arms, you should have this to choose from, and the rest are extra:

Various Nob arms
1 set of Rokkit Launcha arms
1 set of Big Shoota arms
10 sets of Slugga boy arms
10 sets of Shoota boy arms

If you have extra heads, legs and torsos, you could conceivably make at least 23 boyz from the 10 boy set.

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 · (Edited)
Ok that sounds good. I have the possibility to make 40 Orks out of 2 sets :D. I'm gonna buy the Codex in a few hours so that will make everything a bit more "clear"

·
LO Zealot
4,014 Posts
Keep in mind

Ok that sounds good. I have the possibility to make 40 Orks out of 2 sets :D. I'm gonna buy the Codex in a few hours so that will make everything a bit more "clear"

Keep in mind that you're going to need extra heads, torsos and legs to pull that off. Another good way to get boys for cheap is to buy a box of warhammer fantasy orks. You get about 20 orks to the box that way.

Of course, the absolute cheapest way to get boyz is to go on ebay and pick up a lot of the classic plug-and-play orks for next to nothing. You know, the ones with the viking helmets, axes and pistols? They don't look as impressive as the new orks, but they're dirt cheap. Personally, my army's filled with them. ;Y

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
What do you guys think about this? I know it's very, very basic but I want to know if it is a good start.

[FONT=&quot]Warboss with (Could you guys give an example of a good “build” for him?)[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot] [/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]25 Ork Boyz (slugga’s or shoota’s?) with 2 rokkit launcha’s, Nob with Powerklaw and ‘eavy armour = 210 [/FONT]
[FONT=&quot] [/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]11 Ork Boyz (slugga’s or shoota’s?) with 1 rokkit launcha, Nob with Powerklaw and ‘eavy armour = 116 (Warboss joins this unit)[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot] [/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Trukk with a red paint job and boarding plank(?) = 45[/FONT]

Thanks alot for all the earlier replies!

edit: I don't know why the lettersize of the list turned out smaller...kinda weird... :D

·
LO Zealot
4,014 Posts
Ch-ch-ch-changes...

What do you guys think about this? I know it's very, very basic but I want to know if it is a good start.

[FONT=&quot]Warboss with (Could you guys give an example of a good “build” for him?)[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]25 Ork Boyz (slugga’s or shoota’s?) with 2 rokkit launcha’s, Nob with Powerklaw and ‘eavy armour = 210 [/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]11 Ork Boyz (slugga’s or shoota’s?) with 1 rokkit launcha, Nob with Powerklaw and ‘eavy armour = 116 (Warboss joins this unit)[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]Trukk with a red paint job and boarding plank(?) = 45[/FONT]

It's a good start, but you need to cut out some of the fluff.

First, I'd drop the boarding plank. It isn't bad, but it's more useful on a tougher vehicle. The red paint is fine, though.

Drop the rokkit launcha out of the unit of trukk boyz. If they have a clear shot on the enemy, then the enemy has a clear shot on them. This unit, in the trukk, should be out of sight every turn until it's ready to assault.

Drop the 'eavy armor off the nobz. An invulnerable save, from cybork bodies, is a lot more meaningful, but even then I'd save those upgrades for smaller, or independent units. Most of the time, if your nob is taking wounds, it means he's the last living member of his unit, and at that point an improved armor save isn't going to mean much. The points are better served elsewhere.

As for the warboss, I'd give him a powerklaw, cybork body (for an independent character, it's meaningful), 'eavy armor and a bosspole (good for smaller, more expensive units). If he isn't footslogging, I wouldn't worry about improving his basic gun.

The footslogging ork boy unit looks good, but you should probably shave off a few boyz, simply because of point limitations, and you should definitely go with shootas. 2 shots from each shoota is nothing to sneeze at.

Rokkit buggies are great in any ork unit, but especially in smaller games, as they're a fantastic bargain. I've never played a game where they didn't at least make up their points, and they usually at least double it.

Here's my version of your list:

Warboss w/powerklaw, cybork body, 'eavy armor, and bosspole (105-108)

21 Shoota boyz w/2 Rokkits and Nob upgrade w/powerklaw (181)

11 Boyz w/Red Trukk and Nob upgrade w/powerklaw (141)

Rokkit Buggy (35)

Rokkit Buggy (35)

I'm afraid I'm not sure if 'eavy armor is 5 or 8 points for a warboss. I don't have the book with me. In either case, it's either 497 or 500 points.

If you don't have any rokkit buggies, just fill the shoota boy squad up to full instead, and give the nob in that unit a cybork body. If you wind up having a few points left over, add a bosspole onto the unit as well. They never hurt.

Or for the same points you could field 19 grotts and a runtherd, to provide a wall of troops to block for your boyz. Just don't go over 19 grotts, or you'll need a second runtherd. (Fantasy orks make great runtherds, and if you have fantasy goblins, just glue something vaguely similar to a gun to them, and you can call them a grott ^_^)

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I tried making another list (I don't have any buggies yet but I will get them...they need some conversions though...and the Orks aren't muscular enough)

Warboss with Power Klaw, Attack Squig, Cybork Body and ’Eavy Armour = 110

25 Orks Boyz (shoota's) with 2 Rokkit Launcha’s, including Nob with Power Klaw, Bosspole, and ’Eavy Armour = 210

11 Orks Boyz with Rokkit Launcha, including Nob with Power Klaw, Bosspole and ’Eavy Armour = 116 (Warboss joins this unit)

Trukk with Red Paint Job, Reinforced Ram and Boarding Plank = 50

Total Points = 501

I've added some stuff to fill up points...(ram, plank and eavy armours)

I think I will start with buying this stuff....is this an improvement?

·
LO Zealot
4,014 Posts
I tried making another list (I don't have any buggies yet but I will get them...they need some conversions though...and the Orks aren't muscular enough)

Warboss with Power Klaw, Attack Squig, Cybork Body and ’Eavy Armour = 110

25 Orks Boyz (shoota's) with 2 Rokkit Launcha’s, including Nob with Power Klaw, Bosspole, and ’Eavy Armour = 210

11 Orks Boyz with Rokkit Launcha, including Nob with Power Klaw, Bosspole and ’Eavy Armour = 116 (Warboss joins this unit)

Trukk with Red Paint Job, Reinforced Ram and Boarding Plank = 50

Total Points = 501

I've added some stuff to fill up points...(ram, plank and eavy armours)

I think I will start with buying this stuff....is this an improvement?

Definitely an improvement, although I still think anything besides a red paint job on a trukk is a waste. Do you really believe you'll be tank shocking with it, or need to attack vehicles without disembarking troops? We might use them differently, but in my battles the trukks purpose is to get the boyz into CC as quickly as possible.

Oh, I almost forgot! Do not pay retail prices for buggies. They're a complete rip off. Just go on ebay and keep an eye out for buggies, and I'm sure you can get them for no more than $10 each, and I've paid as low as $5 each in one case. You can also convert them fairly easily. Just don't pay $20-25 for them. That's a rip-off, given how small they are. Also, always be sure to load them with rokkits. If you can't get them with rokkits, just convert them.

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Well, keep in mind I've never played a 40k game before on my own (did play "together" with other people). So this list is also to try some stuff out;Y

I think I'll try to buy 2 buggies with rokkits for a low price. Then put lots of spikes on it and give the Orks a bit more muscles (don't you think they look a bit weird...)

Another question: Should I give my Warboss a powerklaw from a nob or are they easy to make out of Greenstuff?

·
LO Zealot
4,014 Posts
Eh

Well, keep in mind I've never played a 40k game before on my own (did play "together" with other people). So this list is also to try some stuff out;Y

I think I'll try to buy 2 buggies with rokkits for a low price. Then put lots of spikes on it and give the Orks a bit more muscles (don't you think they look a bit weird...)

Another question: Should I give my Warboss a powerklaw from a nob or are they easy to make out of Greenstuff?
I wouldn't make it out of greenstuff. That'd be very fragile, and look kind of weird. I also wouldn't rob your nob of the powerklaw, as I never field nobz without them. Personally, I made all the extra powerklaws out of spare parts. One of my bosses has a klaw made out of an extra tube, and two vehicle hooks. One of the best things about orks is that the more 'scrappy' it looks, the better, so I'd just convert them out of any extra pieces you happen to have lying around. If you're light on parts, just glue what you have directly over the boss's hand. If you have fantasy pieces, you could probably achieve the desired effect with a few weapons and some metallic colored paint.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts