Librarium Online Forums banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
301 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well I have decided to make the move into Warhammer Fantasy - and also to take Wood Elves for my army. Now I have read around the wE and looked at the tacticas and some of the army list posted here and have made some decisions about where to start building and extending an army.
However, before I wander out I would like to know that I have started off thinking and aiming in the right direction. Now I should point out that at this stage I own neither codex or rule book, so what I have below is based on what I have seen other take and also on what I think looks good to field/model (which is a must part of any army). I want to make sure that my images of this army match the tactical aspects of approaching wood elves.
2 boxed sets = £100
these would seem to give me enough core unit choices for most occasions up to 2000 points.
3 warhawks - £30
highelf dragon = £30
great eagle £15
these three choices are part of my attraction to the army. I understand the the hawks are a harrasment and heavy weapon/siege weapon hunters, hence their small number - also a similar thinking to great eagles. The dragon - its a dragon in a fantasy army - I think that is enough justification at this stage ;) plus I really want to play around with the model

2 spellsingers = £12
wardancer lord - £7
These both seem to be solid choices in many armies
2 wild riders sets - £50
3 Wardancers sets - £21
1 wardancers command = £7
not sure how many of these to aim for in the end, but I can see that they are a strong and solid choice in many armies
With the exception of the dragon and wardancer, I have left the lords and nobles section alone, because I can see that the codex offers a wide range of available options and a greater understanding of these and of an armies focus is needed to make decisions.
I assume that the great eagles and wardancer unit set can only be bought off the website and not in stores.
So that is my current thinking about an army with a rough idea that this will reach (or be in excess of) 2000 points for a cost of £272 (oh and £42 for rules and codex). If there is anything in there that you would recommend I change - or if I am aiming for totally daft areas, I would appreciate the advice; Thank you

·
4,361 Posts
I would also think about adding a treeman. Can be used as an ancient or a rare choice and are a good choice for alot of lists.

·
LO Zealot
2,610 Posts
Well I have decided to make the move into Warhammer Fantasy - and also to take Wood Elves for my army. Now I have read around the wE and looked at the tacticas and some of the army list posted here and have made some decisions about where to start building and extending an army.
However, before I wander out I would like to know that I have started off thinking and aiming in the right direction. Now I should point out that at this stage I own neither codex or rule book, so what I have below is based on what I have seen other take and also on what I think looks good to field/model (which is a must part of any army). I want to make sure that my images of this army match the tactical aspects of approaching wood elves.
2 boxed sets = £100
these would seem to give me enough core unit choices for most occasions up to 2000 points.
3 warhawks - £30
highelf dragon = £30
great eagle £15

2 spellsingers = £12
wardancer lord - £7
These both seem to be solid choices in many armies
2 wild riders sets - £50
3 Wardancers sets - £21
1 wardancers command = £7
I think a lot of it depends on what you see yourself as. Are you a modeller who plays or a player who owns some models. I used the warhawks for one game because I already had like models and realized I would never use them again. I couldn't stand them. So I was glad I didn't buy the actual models. A great eagle will always be useful. 2 units of glade guard, 2 units of glade riders and 2 units of dryads are staples and almost always in any WE army I make now days. Spellsingers are always going to be useful (but you can make your own characters in my opinion) I love wildriders and treekin, but have used different models or converted my own as well (same with wardancers) I think a treeman is also a good investment. you may play without one, but in the end, you'll want one (unless you go with the dragon)

·
609 Posts
Well welcome to the WE! I am able to buy wardancers at my local store fyi. I've only had to special order the great eagle and a BSB. A lot of what you decide on in the rare and special unit sections depends on how you want to play. I personally love wardancers and I also like warhawk riders. I'm going to take 4 of the suckers in a tournament next week. I would suggest reading the army book before buying the models so that you can know point values and don't waste money buying too much or something. I love the dragon models but haven't ever used one. If you use a dragon you need to make sure the rest of your army suits it. For example if you love Eternal Guard then you don't want to play only magic heros. You need a noble to run with them. If you play a highborn on a dragon you don't want your whole army to be blocks of eteranl guard because your dragon will advance all alone ahead of the troops and you'll die :D . Your heros need to match your army. Hope this helps some.

·
Firefly
4,209 Posts
Trodi is correct.

Wood Elf hero's tend to compliment the rest of the army. They are not "hard" enough to go it alone.

A Lord on a Dragon can be quite detrimental to your list if you are not careful. Why? Because every unit in the Wood Elf list is expensive. Our cheapest models are 12 points each, nearly on par with elite units from other armies.

I always recommend working from your core out. Work out what kind of army you want to play. Pick the core/special/rare to suit that style and then select hero's to match. This way you don't end up spending all your points on 4 models and end up with no army.

·
Registered
301 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I have been looking through the army lists shown here and I can see your points about the command squade and the expence of units in the army. Taking that into conisderation I think the dragon will probably sit out of battles in the early stages (though the model is too good to pass up).

Just a simple questions though:
branchwraith = there appears to be only one official model for this which is a special character - would I be right in assuming that a Dryad with some unique features is a commonly used figure for this model

·
Firefly
4,209 Posts
A converted Dryad is what most people tend to use.

·
Registered
137 Posts
A friend of mine also did a fantastic conversion using parts from the Dryad box but the body of a Daemonette. Looks really good as a Branchwraith.

I'll try and get him to photograph it and upload it on here.

·
A Freaking Ninja!
271 Posts
i was really slack when i did my branchwraith, only my branchwraith has the branches that arch over the back/head, the rest just have ths small branches poke out the back

simple and its really is easy to differentiate them :D

·
Registered
51 Posts
even though i don't use them anymore my branchwraith was just a dryad with a skull head (comes in the box) with that sprite on the branch (which i painted to look like fire ) glued to its base. it worked.

·
Registered
301 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Right; well I have been out and made a start on the army - 1 battle force and one dragon - lord and spellsinger were not in stock so they are on order:
However I have a question concerning the dragon and WYSIWYG - now I have looked and essentailly there is a roughly even divide between the use of spears and of swords for dragonriders - now if I model my rider with a spear or a sword and put the other weapon also on the model (such as in a sheath) will that count for both loadouts - or are the rules very strict here.
Also, if there are any other "tricks" to saving models by light modeling modifications and designes I would be very grateful if you could inform me of them
Thanks

·
609 Posts
I personally wouldn't mind it if you told me up front that for this game he has a spear or w.e. IMO it is too hard really to see some weapon on his side and be like on my strat is different now. Just say it upfront. Though other ppl might be anal about it.

·
Registered
222 Posts
I would also think about adding a treeman. Can be used as an ancient or a rare choice and are a good choice for alot of lists.
Very good to have a treeman, as with the combo of a dragon on your side, if your oppenant has a lot of shooting like empire, he will be hard pressed on which target to take out. Worked for me when i tried it.

Also if you want to save a bit of money, and potentialy have an extra wardancer, buy 2 command bilister pack for wardance, make sure the champions are different, and have one of the to represent your lord. did it for mine and saved money too.

·
Registered
222 Posts
now if I model my rider with a spear or a sword and put the other weapon also on the model (such as in a sheath) will that count for both loadouts -
Thanks
essentially, it doesnt state in the rulebook, as far i know that a model has to the specific item on him, so that they can use it. Its not like 40k, in the sense that if the model has a powerfist on it, it must use the powerfist8Y

·
Firefly
4,209 Posts
However I have a question concerning the dragon and WYSIWYG - now I have looked and essentailly there is a roughly even divide between the use of spears and of swords for dragonriders - now if I model my rider with a spear or a sword and put the other weapon also on the model (such as in a sheath) will that count for both loadouts - or are the rules very strict here.
That is perfectly legitimate as all characters come with a handweapon. You don't lose it if you upgrade to something else.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts