Librarium Online Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1,349 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have decided to start another Space Marine army. After trading off my old assortment of Space-Wolves and a few second-hand Tactical Marines, I realize I kind of miss them..

After a lot of consideration, I have decided to return to Space Wolves -- and not because of the Codex, but because of the new box-sets. My local hobby store has been running a special, buy one box, get another 50% off, which is fan-freaking-tastic, because I'm severely budgeted.

At any rate, here's what I'm proposing to buy:
2x Rune Priests = $13.25 x 2.0 (The sale doesn't extend to blisters)
2x Battleforce = $90.00 x 1.5
4x Razorbacks = $35.00 x 3.0

All together, $266.50. ( retail $346.50 )

The list I plan to make is:

HQ [ 370 ]
Rune Priest [ 185 ]
+ Master of Runes
+ Artificer Armour
+ Chooser of the Slain, Wolf Tail Talisman
+ Psychic Powers

Rune Priest [ 185 ]
+ Master of Runes
+ Artificer Armour
+ Chooser of the Slain, Wolf Tail Talisman
+ Psychic Powers

Elites [ 424 ]
Wolf Guard Pack [ 212 ]
+ 5x Wolf Guard
+ 4x Storm Bolters, 2x Power Weapons
+ 1x Thunder Hammer / Storm Shield
+ Razorback w/ TL Heavy Bolter

Wolf Guard Pack [ 212 ]
+ 5x Wolf Guard
+ 4x Storm Bolters, 2x Power Weapons
+ 1x Thunder Hammer / Storm Shield
+ Razorback w/ TL Heavy Bolter

Troops [ 705 ]
Grey Hunters Pack [ 235 ]
+ 10x Grey Hunters
+ Flamer and Meltagun
+ Wolf Standard, Mark of the Wulfen
+ Rhino

+ 10x Grey Hunters
+ Flamer and Meltagun
+ Rhino

+ 10x Grey Hunters
+ Flamer and Meltagun
+ Drop Pod

TOTAL: 1,499 Points

What do you think? Good purchase? Or should I reconsider my options. If the latter, what do you suggest, taking the BOGOHO deal into consideration.

Also note that I chose this list because of the flexibility the Wolf Guard and 6 total transports offer for later purchases (and I like Storm Bolters, so don't go there =P )
----------
It is also worth mentioning that my future purchases include:

Wolf Guard Terminators
A Land Raider Crusader
Long Fangs
Blood Claws (I'm well aware that, point for point, Grey Hunters are vastly better, but I consider any Space Wolves collection to be unfluffy without them)

·
Hive Fleet Pandora
5,068 Posts
The Rune Priests need to be equipped differently, but that's easy enough to do. Just drop 1 wolf tail talisman. Also, it's best to put them in the rhinos so that they can still use their psychic shooting attacks. Thus while you have 10-man GH units, two of them will only be 9-men when you attache the RP's to them (assuming you still want them in the rhinos).

Also, the wolfguard units are not that good. 5-man wolfguards are too fragile and expensive. Ditch them for some Long Fangs, though I do like the idea of attaching WG's to my GH's.

·
Registered
1,349 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Perhaps I should have explained my case better. This is just my starter-list, taking advantage of a local sale. The intention is not to be competitive right off the bat, but to build a cost effective ($$) army list that, 1) Is capable of winning games, while more importantly, 2) will easily highly modular with consideration to future purchases.

Long Fangs are currently not an option, unless I drop 2 of the Razorbacks from my purchase. I designed the Wolf Guard as I did to take advantage of what few models I can purchase for so cheap, and to fill in some points (90% of the games I play are going to be 1,500 points. Having a 1,500 point army list right off the assembly-line will be nice, as to not force my friends to design smaller lists just to play against me)

I am more-so looking for advice regarding my proposed purchase, and an army list that can be designed thereof. Currently, I am looking at:

2x Rune Priests
{ 4x Space Wolves Packs
2x Wolf Scouts
2x Drop Pods, and } <- These all come from the 2x Battleforce boxes.
4x Razorbacks / Rhinos.

If you could suggest an alternative list (1,500 points is not as much of a concern as points 1) and 2) made above) that I could purchase for around-about the same price (consider Buy One, Get One Half Off), it's be muchly appreciated!

I have also been considering:
1x Rune Priest
1x Wolf Guard Terminator Box
1x Land Raider
2x Battleforce Boxes
2x Razorbacks
Total: $283.25 (Normal retail price $370.75)

·
Registered
2,094 Posts
have you thought about land speeders with multi-meltas and heavy flamers for dual anti-Av14 and anti-horde roles? they are very effective and a good long term inverstment for any sm army.
thanks
antique_nova

·
Registered
1,349 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
have you thought about land speeders with multi-meltas and heavy flamers for dual anti-Av14 and anti-horde roles? they are very effective and a good long term inverstment for any sm army.
thanks
antique_nova
:soldier: Indeed I have. I'm quite a fan of all three, Land Speeders, Multi-Meltas, and Heavy Flamers. These as well as possibly a Typhoon or two are likely to populate my Fast Attack choices, considering I am in not in a position to fund Sky/Swiftclaw or Thunderwolf conversions.

I'm also a fan of magnetizing weapons (I'm also considering pinning every variant weapon included in the Wolf Guard Terminator Box), and since each Land Speeder box comes with all possible options.. it looks like a fantastic deal to me!

However, at $30 a pop (or in my case, $45 for two), I'd rather get my fill of Infantry and Transports (via approx. a $250 budget, give or take. More if I buy less alcohol for the holidays >.>) before expanding beyond. Land speeders are on my list though, likely to be either my second or third installation depending on what I decide to purchase initially.

·
Registered
1,349 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Also, I'm not completely set on purchasing Space Wolves, as I personally find the vanilla Codex to be a (little) bit more appealing. Which do you consider to be a better deal?

SW Battleforce ( $90 )
+2x Space Wolf Packs (Each contains ten models and a tonne of accessories, can build either: Wolf Guard, Grey Hunters, or Blood Claws)
+5x Scouts
+Drop Pod

or

Vanilla Battleforce ( $90 )
+Tactical Squad
+Combat Squad
+5x Scouts
+5x Assault Marines
+Rhino

In either case, I'd purchase two boxes (for $135). I decided to go with the SW boxes initially because of the additional bitz offered. Opinions?
----------
how about ordering from gws retailers?
Hmm?

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.