Librarium Online Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hello Everybody!

So i, like a lot of my other friends lately, have begun starting to look into starting a hordes/Warmachine force. however i am unsure of what force i should really pick up. i have been playing 40k for a while and am a fairly experienced nids' player and was hoping to play a somewhat different or unique faction to the nids' play style. i will say initially i am drawn to the Cryx because they look so righteous. i have aquired through a friend (a friend i like to call the internet) the Prime Remix, Apotheosis, and Escalation rule books and have tried to familiarize myself with the races to an extent.

I've been lurking on some forums and have been reading that the Cryx have a very similar play style to the nids which i find rather disappointing. Also after lookign through the rules i have taken also liking to the Protectorate, but i have read elsewhere they are one of the toughest factions to play.

I am open to anything really as long as it promises to be different and engaging. i kinda want to shy away from an army that features larger groups of weaker melee troops, but not to the extent that i want a gun line army either. Really i just want ppl's oppinions and experiences with em.

So i guess my final questions are
A ) Are the Cyrx really that much like the nids? will the play styles be too similar?
B ) is the Protectorate really that hard to Play?
C ) i initally am favoring a Jack heavy list just becasue they are so damn cool, does this kinda eliminate the most effective way of playing Cyrx?

·
Registered
30 Posts
Cryx are debuffers most of their spells debuff your enemies troops. They are more of a hordy army in warmachine than any other and are quick as well, so they may be similar to nids in that regard.

But it wont feel the exact same because warmachine plays tottally differently than warhammer. So there really isn't an equivilant to any army.

Protectorate are quite easy to play, just check out battle college and all your info will be there.

Also in mk. 2 rules going warjack heavy is the best thing you can do.

·
Registered
186 Posts
C ) i initally am favoring a Jack heavy list just becasue they are so damn cool, does this kinda eliminate the most effective way of playing Cyrx?
Playing Cryx is mostly about being dirty and sneaky. But this doens't go in the way of being jack heavy.

Look at warcasters like Master Necrotech Mortenebra (https://battlecollege.wikispaces.com/Mortenebra), who is te best jack controller of the Cryx.

But a good idea is to work around a lot of bonejacks. With their arc nodes, you can literally casts spells from any point of direction, leaving the opponents warcaster more vulnerable.

·
Registered
430 Posts
The only reason that Cryx play "like nids" is because they use a large number of models. That's it. However, there are a few different ways to play Cryx, like using Master Necrotech Mortenebra as Dethklaat said.

If you don't want a gunline army, steer away from Cygnar, as that is what they are best at.

Menoth are generally considered to be the hardest army to play since they rely very heavily on unit synergy and a web of buffs. If you can handle this, then you're fine.

Khador are probably the polar opposite of nids 99% of their units hit HARD and are tough/slow, and the ones that aren't are support units that have special abilities. Their warjacks are easily the toughest in the game and they arguably pack more of a punch than their counterparts in other armies, though they are slightly more expensive. In general you will always be outnumbered.

I am a nid player as well and I chose khador. They haven't let me down yet and they have proved a huge change from nids, at least for me.

·
Registered
924 Posts
Every last Warcaster in the game has his own unique playstyle, so it isn't too hard to get away from any particular playstyle you don't like.

By the way, a gunline in Warmachine is nothing like a gunline in Warhammer 40,000. Mostly, it is because those very long ranges don't exist in Warmachine, so you have to keep your force moving.

Especially if you are playing either version of Alister Caine as your warcaster. You can have an extremely mobile force that shoots a lot and moves around a lot.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Hey guys im new to Warmachine and Libarium.com. I have been wanted to start up warmachine for a while now but when I heard of MarkII I decided to wait until the new rules came out. Now the question remains what army to start out with .... Out of the six armies I am interested in three. Khador, Protectorate, and Cryx (not nesscarely in this order) I like the look of all three but im not sure on the playstlyes or which one would be the easiest one to play starting out. I have three questions. 1. Wat are the playstlyes of the three armies that I listed. 2. Which or the three would be the easiest to play when you are still learning. and 3. When buying an army what are the boxsets/rulebooks that I should buy? For the third question I know that I need to buy the ------ army boxset battlegroup (could I just buy plastic kit(s) and the warcaster instead of the battlegroup or which is more fitting for someone who is starting out), the rule book (does the battle group boxset come with the complete rules?), and the card deck for the army (is this required for newplayers or just when I want to expand my army?) Thanks and your answers you help me get into this great looking hobby. Thanks for your time. :)

·
running
1,274 Posts
Lets see:

1. Playstyles. These are generalizations, because any faction can be effective at most anything, but Khador is generally slow, durable, and very heavy hitting in melee, Protoctorate is has weak units on paper but has a lot of units and spells to buff their models to very high levels, and Cryx is all about sneaky, dirty tricks and debuffing their opponent. Again though, you can make most any faction behave any way you want.

2. I'd say that Khador would be the easiest to start with because, in general, they have a more straightforward play style. Protoctorate thrives on setting up combinations of buffs on your units so you have to know which buffs to put on which units and when. Cryx is always looking for a trick to pull off so you always need to be mindful of what everything in your army and your opponent's army is doing so you can find and take advantage of opportunities.

3. The boxsets are a good starting point but you don't have to use them. If you're interested in the models or the 'caster they're a good way to get the models a little cheaper but you could certainly start out buying whatever you want individually. The boxes come with quickstart rules (I think, they used to anyway) but you'll want the full rulebook too. The card deck is probably not required since you get the card in the blister / box for any models you buy. They're a good way to see everything at once, but not something that's necessary.

Hopefully some of that was helpful. My best advice is to pick models you like any play with those.

·
Registered
924 Posts
As has been mentioned, each warcaster has his own playstyle. But the factions do have some themes common to them.

Khador- Khadoran 'jacks are slow, heavily armored, and punch really hard. Their infantry is some of the best in the game before you add in buffs and synergies. However, Khador has a little less synergy than other factions, so they have to rely on the raw strengths of their units and warjacks.

Protectorate- The Protectorate playstyle is all about stacking buffs. You have a unit that can be buffed in three different ways, and if you buff them properly, they become unreal. Their other big theme is denial- they can keep the opponent from using magic to buff up his troops.
They can be difficult sometimes, because you have to plan out your strategy before the game more than most forces, and you have a little less ability to pull yourself out of a hole. However, this style can be very rewarding.

Cryx- Cryx is all about dirty tricks. Usually, if a Cryx force goes toe to toe with any other force, they're sunk. Their advantage lies in their ability to move around the battlefield without trading blows. They tend to look towards assassinating the enemy warcaster and ignoring as much of the enemy army as possible.

Each of these factions have 'casters that are more difficult and 'casters who are easier. I would suggest some starting 'casters for you:

Khador- Vlad or Sorscha (non-epic) are the easiest 'casters to work with. They can work with almost any kind of army, and they're pretty forgiving.

Protectorate- Kreoss is a forgiving and capable 'caster to start with. Another solid option is Feora.

Cryx- pSkarre is a very solid 'caster to get you started, as is Denegra. Both have their challenges, but Cryx tends to feel more like a finesse force than most other factions.

·
Registered
7 Posts
thx for the replies guys really helping out. One question though odinsgrandson, which varient of Vlad should I pick or does it matter. and is the warcaster, Kommander Sorscha, in the battle group boxset 'epic' or is her varient 'epic' im lost....???

·
Registered
924 Posts
-I think that the easiest to use warcasters are non-epic Vlad and non-epic Sorscha. Non-epic Vlad is a fairly straight forward 'caster. At the start of the battle, he has one of the best support spells in the game (Signs and Portents) and he wants to spam that. As the two armies wittle each other down, he'll want to switch to spamming Blood of Kings- turning him into a one man army.

Sorscha represents a different side of straight forward. She has a solid spell list and an absolutely stunning feat that can win you the game if used at the right time. She is much more about timing that feat to get the most out of it.

-Variant, Classic and normal pose are all the same mini according to the game's rules. They just do different sculpts to give us some options. So pick the one you think looks best. I prefer the Variant pose for Sorscha.

-Epic warcasters represent the same character from later in the storyline. Some of them change quite a bit (Haley lost her arm, Thagrosh turned into a giant dragon-beast) and some of them didn't change much at all (the Butcher is just a little more crazy than he used to be).

-For the most part, Epic warcasters represent a more nuanced playstyle than their counterparts. Epics are just a little trickier to play (not that they aren't as powerful, they're just tricky).

1 - 11 of 11 Posts