Librarium Online Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So, after years of on/off 40k my friends and I decided to start fantasy. I'm excited, because although I liked the scifi theme a lot, the rules seem a lot more sophisticated and strategic for fantasy.

Anyways, after looking around the armies and army books I decided I want an army that's got good magic, and the only things that caught my eye were the Lizzies and the High Elves. The elves seem...well, elves aren't really my thing, I'll leave it at that. That leaves lizardmen!

So I read through the army book, and decided that starting off my army would require a bunch of Skinks and Saurus. So, after filing some horrendous mould-lines, I now have a regiment of 15 Saurus warriors, and am ready to go to town on the Skinks. I'm looking at hitting a 500 point list with 2x12 Skink units, the Saurus regiment, and a Nike Scar Vet, although this comes out to be more like 450 points.

My question is how to fill the other points without just throwing Sacred Spawnings all over the place (although I have considered it). One option I've considered is ditching the Nike vet and bringing a priest, but I'm not sure how viable that is. Is it possible for me to whittle numbers down a bit somewhere and include the priest and the vet? Or will that be too many characters?

Thanks, it's tough getting into fantasy from 40k since so many of the little rules are different, but people do it every day so I'm sure I'll be able to figure it out. :)

·
RAWR! KROXIGOR!!
1,935 Posts
So, after years of on/off 40k my friends and I decided to start fantasy. I'm excited, because although I liked the scifi theme a lot, the rules seem a lot more sophisticated and strategic for fantasy.
Fantasy is alot better then 40k (I may be just slightly bias...mabye...) as it has less stupid children, less uber units, more strategy, rules that make more sense and better fluff. Oh and you don't play something with a 3+ save and a S4 gun 8 games in 10.

Anyways, after looking around the armies and army books I decided I want an army that's got good magic, and the only things that caught my eye were the Lizzies and the High Elves. The elves seem...well, elves aren't really my thing, I'll leave it at that. That leaves lizardmen!
Lizardmen do indeed have the best magic in the game. High elves where taught magic by us anyway so obviously we are superior.

So I read through the army book, and decided that starting off my army would require a bunch of Skinks and Saurus. So, after filing some horrendous mould-lines, I now have a regiment of 15 Saurus warriors, and am ready to go to town on the Skinks. I'm looking at hitting a 500 point list with 2x12 Skink units, the Saurus regiment, and a Nike Scar Vet, although this comes out to be more like 450 points.

My question is how to fill the other points without just throwing Sacred Spawnings all over the place (although I have considered it). One option I've considered is ditching the Nike vet and bringing a priest, but I'm not sure how viable that is. Is it possible for me to whittle numbers down a bit somewhere and include the priest and the vet? Or will that be too many characters?
You should have your skinks in units of 10 even if you want to use all your models (don't worry, in the long run lizardmen have very few models, particularly if you bring a Slann). Taking any degree of magic at 500 points is not a good idea as the 2 free dice the opposition have is a large hurdle for one little skink (as a reference point; normally there are about 4 dispel dice and 2 scrolls against you at 2000 points where you can get a Slann). I would suggest keeping the JSoD (Jaguar Saurus of Doom, or Nike Saurus) on a budget (113 points if you give him no spawnings) and trying to fit in a special or rare unit (salamanders or kroxigors would be my choice) possible by either reducing saurus unit size or dropping a skink unit.

I suggest you post your army list in the army list section to get more critic.

And finally, WELCOME TO THE LIZARDMEN! :drinking::party::drinking::party:

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the help everyone.

If I were to include a unit of Kroxigors (which seem very appealing) it looks like I'll have to drop a unit of Skinks AND trim down the Saurus squad...I believe that for 500 points I can get a cheap JSoD, 12 Saurus, 10 scouting Skinks, and 3 Kroxigors.

One question I have is regarding the outfit of the JSoD. I'm obviously going to give him the Charm of the Jaguar, light armor, and shield. The question I have is about his weapon...while I can dig that the Great Weapon gives him S7 attacks, if he doesn't win after the 1st round, he starts to strike last. A Halberd would give me S6 attacks (still -3 to save modifiers) and would let me go in initiative order. If I were to just stick with the hand weapon, then he'd have 4 S5 attacks but would benefit from a 2+ CC save, as he no longer has a 2-handed weapon.

As counter-intuitive as it seems, I think for cheaper games the basic hand weapon is a better buy. Against T3/5+ opponents, he will kill 2.03 vs 2.22 models with hand weapon vs. GW/Halberd. Against T4/5+ opponents it drops to 1.63 vs 2.22. On the other hand, it will take an average of 36 S3 attacks to wound him with the hand weapon rather than 18 with the GW/Halberd in CC. The difference for S4 is 12 vs 8 attacks in favor of the hand weapon (all calculations are assuming the other models have WS < 5).

I guess it depends on how I use him. If I'm going to be using him against lone high-toughness models (chariots, etc.) then it'd be smart to give him a GW as his staying power won't be as important as the high-strength attacks. If I'm going to be hunting more rank-and-file guys like archers, then the need to live longer is probably more important.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts