Librarium Online Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello everyone!

I know pretty much nothing about warhammer FB. But I have a long strategy gaming history and I want to learn this game and play it competitively. Currently i own zero figures.

My friend already started with dark elves and i chose Warriors of Chaos. I think we build around 1k armies first and if we like the game then expand fast to 2250 (that`s quite standard, right?).

Could you help me to build 1000 points army that has very good match up against most 1000 DE armies, please. Preferably most parts of that army would fit into 2250 all-around Warriors of Chaos tournament list. Mark of Slaanesh, Chaos Dragon looks awesome! I will play that in 2250 army for sure :)

I know there was already quite similar thread as this, but i wanted to be a bit more specific.

·
Champion of Chaos
2,415 Posts
Lvl2 nurgle on steed: 196 pts
power familiar
enchanted shield

lvl2 tzeentch on disc: 230 pts
book of secrets
dispel scroll
blood curdling roar

5 x khorne horsemen with flails and light armor: 110pts
5 x khorne horsemen with flails and light armor: 110pts

5 tzeentch knights: 290 pts
musician/standard
Blasted standard

5 warhounds
5 warhounds

No mark of slaanesh, but its the basis for my dragon army I run all the time. Add in a lvl4 dragonlord swap around some magic items on your lvl2s, throw in another unit of knights and horsemen and maybe a hell cannon.

Its a relatively cheap start, box of knights, 2 boxes of horsemen, mounted sorcerer, lord on disc works good for the tzeentch wizard, box of hounds. You hit fast and hard with tons of magic for 1000 points and have enough screens to mess with the tons of shooting that the DE will most likely bring.

·
Registered
185 Posts
Against DE, you have some very specific things that you'll need to do:

First of all, Mark of Nurgle, DE are high weapons and ballistic skill units, and nurgle is a big boost your protection against them, and all the units you want alive, you'll want to be marked nurgle.

Hounds: shootong, no matter what means you go about to protect them, your whole army will get shot to pieces, fortunately, hounds are meant to die, thier cheap, and you essentially just run them right in front of your elites, and theirs no more line of sight. And jsut one more thing... dont get attatched to them, thier meant to die.

Cavalry: your real saving grace against dark elves, i would suggest an all cavalry or plenty of cavalry in your army, when your running infantry, you tend to get shot right up until turn 3 or 4, with cavalry, BOOM, you're in combat in turn 2, and at most, 2 turns of shooting.

Bolt Throwers!!!!- Ouch, these guys really, really hurt, so my suggestion would be an exalted of tzneetch on disk. 20" move, and deck him out to provide a 2+ plus ward save for fairly cheap, plus when you up to 2250 he can be a very nasty sorcerer, but your job is for him to sop up all kinds of fire from those bolt throwers, and have him rip right through thier crew. Try to get an angle on the flank of the bolt thrower, and once you kill it you can run into the next thrower or another enemy! Just a note though, watch out for killing blow, the killing blow will kill your 4 wound hero with 1 wound!! You want your hero alive, stay away from them

Magic - I really haven't seen a magic heavy DE army, but you could just run a cheap scroll caddy, (2 dispell scrolls, casts no spells) and let your army do the heavy lifting.

Always strike first - many DE armies live on this rule, the get to hit before anyone else, even if they get charges, so how do we fix this, my personal favorite unit... CHARIOTS!!! They do D6+1 impact hits, that always get to go before always strike first.

So, my list that I use against my brother that utilises a great cannon,

Exalted Hero - 205 pts
MoT
Disk
Armour of Morisleb
Shield
Bloodcurling Roar

5x Marauder Horsemen - 75 pts
Flails

5x Marauder Horseman - 75 pts
Flails

5 hounds = xxx points

5x Chaos Knights - 250 pts
MoN
Standard

5x Chaos Knights - 230 pts
MoN

Chaos chariot = 130 pts
Mark of Slaanesh

Very useful, the flail horsman are mean, with strenght 5 in the first round of combat, the knights are almost too good to be true, and the hero has a 3+ armour save, and a 4+ ward save! Almost untouchable! Go get em, bring favor to our great gods! Plus, run the chariot into his strike first unit, the knights should be looking for elites like cold one knights, and the horseman can mop up the rest.

Made some changes: thanks for the imput everybody.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thank you guys for input. It has been really educational reading.

Still waiting for answers on Vampire Counts and Daemons of Chaos forums before making a final decisions about my army. Though cavalry sounds really terrifying against elves. I like that! :p

·
Champion of Chaos
2,415 Posts
Probably executioners are the only infantry chaos knights need to worry about and they generally aren't taken. As far as DE magic, well 1 lvl2 wizard can dominate a low point magic phase with their #0 spell giving them more casting dice.

·
All Cav WoC General
693 Posts
Against DE, you have some very specific things that you'll need to do:

First of all, Mark of Nurgle, DE are high weapons and ballistic skill units, and nurgle is a big boost your protection against them, and all the units you want alive, you'll want to be marked nurgle.

Hounds: shootong, no matter what means you go about to protect them, your whole army will get shot to pieces, fortunately, hounds are meant to die, thier cheap, and you essentially just run them right in front of your elites, and theirs no more line of sight. And jsut one more thing... dont get attatched to them, thier meant to die.

Cavalry: your real saving grace against dark elves, i would suggest an all cavalry or plenty of cavalry in your army, when your running infantry, you tend to get shot right up until turn 3 or 4, with cavalry, BOOM, you're in combat in turn 2, and at most, 2 turns of shooting.

Bolt Throwers!!!!- Ouch, these guys really, really hurt, so my suggestion would be an exalted of tzneetch on disk. 20" move, and deck him out to provide a 2+ plus ward save for fairly cheap, plus when you up to 2250 he can be a very nasty sorcerer, but your job is for him to sop up all kinds of fire from those bolt throwers, and have him rip right through thier crew. Try to get an angle on the flank of the bolt thrower, and once you kill it you can run into the next thrower or another enemy! Just a note though, watch out for killing blow, the killing blow will kill your 4 wound hero with 1 wound!! You want your hero alive, stay away from them

Magic - I really haven't seen a magic heavy DE army, but you could just run a cheap scroll caddy, (2 dispell scrolls, casts no spells) and let your army do the heavy lifting.

Always strike first - many DE armies live on this rule, the get to hit before anyone else, even if they get charges, so how do we fix this, my personal favorite unit... CHARIOTS!!! They do D6+1 impact hits, that always get to go before always strike first, but again, watch out for those pesky bolt throwers, as far as I understand when a bolt thrower wounds a chariot, its dead, no taking of any wounds.

So, my list that I use against my brother that utilises a great cannon,

Exalted Hero - 200 pts
MoT
Disk
Armour of Morisleb
Talisman of Protection
Shield

5x Marauder Horsemen - 75 pts
Flails

5x Marauder Horseman - 105 pts
MoK
Flails

5 hounds = xxx points

MoN

MoN
Standard

Chaos chariot = 130 pts
Mark of Slaanesh

Very useful, the flail khorne horsman are mean, with strenght 5 in the first round of combat, the knights are almost too good to be true, and the hero has a 3+ armour save, and a 2+ invulnerable save! Almost untouchable! Go get em, bring favor to our great gods! Plus, run the chariot into his strike first unit, the knights should be looking for elites like cold one knights, and the horseman can mop up the rest.
a) no such thing as invulnerable saves
b) ward saves don't stack, as i've told you before.

·
Registered
442 Posts
@dandaman,
the bolt thrower only ignores armor saves and so won't autokill a chariot, although, causing D3 wounds, it might.....Str 7 weapons however, destroy chariots no matter how many wounds they might have.
.....and now you vile curs have got me thinking about a chaos army.........

·
Registered
185 Posts
Yea, sorry to everyone for my mistakes, i did this very tired, and i forgot about the no stack, so sorry everyone! Finally got my rulebook! So I hope not to make those kind of mistakes again, thanks for the corrections, hope i didnt insult anyone.

·
All Cav WoC General
693 Posts
lol i dont think theres a person on the planet who gets offended over misstating warhammer rules... but i could be wrong.

·
The Dvl in Pale Moonlight
889 Posts
lol i dont think theres a person on the planet who gets offended over misstating warhammer rules... but i could be wrong.
You'd be suprised how touchy people can get when they're told they're wrong. Some are even downright aggressive about it. Funny world, we live in. Though in most cases I think it depends on how people are told they're wrong. Like above, perfect example of how it should be done. Simple format and to the point with no emotion attached. It is when people get told off in a rude and offencive manner the poo hits the fan.

As for your list dandaman, I'd just sawp the talisman of protection(and drop something else) for bloodcurdling roar. Since the guy is flying he will often be in a good position to use it. Or my personal favourite, Stream of Corruption. Swoop in, put down the flame template and watch them elves burn.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Thank you guys for input. Strong cavalry that is then.

If I`m about to upgrade into 2250 army, how viable Dragonlord and Chaos Dragon are against dark elves?
The idea of running those was one of the things that got me into WoC army.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts