Librarium Online Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
The Dark Knight
2,091 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Updated

HQ
Commissar Yarrick (Stays with 30 man squad)

Company Command Squad (Rides in valkyrie assault carrier)
4 grenade launcher

Elite
Storm Trooper Squad(5 man squad deep striking)
2 melta guns

Troop
Veteran Squad x5 (In chimera's)
15 grenade launchers
5 missile launchers

Platoon Command Squad (Rides in vendetta gunship)
4 flamers

Infantry Squad x3 (30 man squad)
3 grenade launchers
2 auto cannons

Dedicated Transport
Chimera x5
5 multi lasers
5 heavy flamers

Fast Attack
Vendetta Gunship
Valkyrie Assault Carrier
Hellhound

Heavy Support
Medusa
2 heavy flamers

Have not had much experience with orks so help would be appreciated. I'm going for the steel legion style of play.

·
4,967 Posts
HQ: Yarrik is very expensive for what you get. I would drop him entirely. CCS is fine but a chimera would be better for them to let them issue orders occasionally.

Elites: Fine but against orks they are definately suicide units and the AP3 guns are a bit of a waste point wise.

Troops: GLs have good range and the chimeras can retreat while firing them but I think you will need a few plasmas and meltas too to engage trucks and battlewagons. I would go for 2 squads of each.

Fast: Vendetta should have HB sponsons. Valk too and add missile pods for some fantastic anti horde ability.

Heavy: Useful.

If Yarrik goes you can upgrade the veteran weapons, buy a CCS chimera and some weapon upgrades on the skimmers. That should leave some points for a psyker squad in chimera to reduce ork leadership then force a morale test. It's ok against mobs but great against his elite stuff like nob bikers or lootas and can make them easily run off table after only a few casualties. Another thing to considder is dropping a vet squad for a cheap platoon with PCS+4 flamers in a skimmer and a SWS wioth 3 flamers in the other. You also get 2 squads with AC/GL to sit in cover holding an objective.

·
Registered
29 Posts
as having a brother who plays orks i have had a lot of experience, the stratagy is to bring as much heavy weapon plat forms as you can.
i mainly bring 2 HB squads an AC squad and 2 Mortar teams and a special wep squad with 3 demo charges and a second team with flamers i keep the squads pretty bare just a GL and a PW for the sgt and the PCS with HF 3 GL this equals to be around 500-550 pts and it is just 1 troop then a vet squad with FwS ML and 3 GL or Snipers. Creed and Kell probably the best for this set up with "On My Target" order it is great for shooting up the boys and nobs hiding behind Grots and in cover ( perfect for your mortar teams to cause pinning ) and the Manticore is the best weapon for taking out nob squads and war bosses with instant death and a large attack area. also the LRBT and LR demolisher are great to have for the mor up close threats.

·
Registered
470 Posts
i would have to say keep Yarrick since your going for a Steel Legion army and not take Creed (although Creed is an excellant option)

im not to sure about the storm troopers, their better suited against SM based armiess

i think you should drop the storms and a vet squad and instead take a large IP with PCS w/GLs and 3 combined IS w/flamers/GLs or heavy bolters, HWS w/HB/AC, SWS w/GLs

i dont have my codex on my but that might add up to 350-400 points most

you dont have to take this, just an idea

and being a long time ork player, theres nothing better than a great big scrap

also are you going against Ghazghull Thraka

·
Registered
1,159 Posts
if you drop yarrick, even if it fits perfectly fluff wise, you can get a small infantry platoon with 2 squads and 6 flamers (4 in pcs and 2 in regular squad) which you can then expand with more combined squads (again with flamers) or special weapons (3x flamers or 2x flamers 1x demo charge)

Flamers are your friends with orks, not GL or other heavy weapons (a lot of fat good will your autocannon do to a 30x bouz horde)

·
Registered
470 Posts
if you know your opponent will use a mech ork army, lots or trukks and kans, than id say take some autocannons and meltas, if not than take heavy bolters flamers and Glaunchers

i would also want to fix what i wrote earlier, i reckon drop some more vet squads, have 3 vets all up but with plasma guns rather than meltas, you get better range and they will work just as well against trukks and mega nobz

so i say take two IP's
PCS w/flamers or GLs

IS x2 (combined) w/flamers

HWS w/heavy bolters

SWS w/ flamers - perhaps even a demo charge if points can spare

PCS w/GLs

IS x2 (combined) w/Gls and heavy bolters

HWS w/mortars

i dont have my codex so i dont know the points

but basically the first platoon can move up and the cover fire of the second squad, the second squad will either hits trukks if their are any or thin out the numbers of mobs; that or the squads just do first rank fire order and just obliterate any mobs

·
Premium Member
4,800 Posts
No Hellhounds? They're fluffy and strong performers in any mech list. I can't think of a better anti-Ork tank. Maybe the Eradicator.

If you go the infantry route then use 30-man blobs, minimum. Blobs can win attrition against Orks if they have the numbers. Add sergeant meltabombs for emergency Kan-killing. (It's not unfluffy to have a blob or two in Steel Legion. Armageddon has a very large population.)

Reactions: nacho cheese

·
The Dark Knight
2,091 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I want to keep yarrick and I might ditch two storm trooper squads for a hellhound.

·
Registered
470 Posts
looks good, id say drop the com in the IS and put Yarrick in it, they'll need his leadership and this saves you 35 pt which can be used to buy flamers or GLs for the squad

1 - 11 of 11 Posts