Librarium Online Forums banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
For the Sternguard Sergeant the metal model what are the weapons he has. To me it looks like he has a Powerfist and a Boltgun. Is that legal? Or is hi gun a boltpistol that is the same length as the other boltguns? HELP!!!!!!!!!!!

·
Registered
350 Posts
If we look in the book it says you replace either your bolt pistol or boltgun when taking a PF. Thus, it can be implied that technically you could replace either, and thus it could be either a bolt pistol or boltgun. In previous editions where armouries were concerned there may have been a problem due to the fact you were only allowed to take a single 1-handed and a single 2-handed weapon, but in 5th ed. it shouldn't be a problem due to them doing away with the armory restrictions.

At least that's my reading of it. Just consider him to be an extraordinarily BAMF to wield those weapons.

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Helpful but I am still lost. Does it mean he has the Boltgun then or the bolt pistol? If it is the bolt pistol he still gets the Special Rounds right?

·
The Uncivil Servent
900 Posts
A power fist and boltgun would be legal. I don't think you get the special rounds with a bolt pistol or a storm bolter as it says each model with a bolt gun and later says that models with a combi weapon get the special issue ammunition for the boltgun part. (technically a storm bolter is an upgrade on the twin linked boltgun so you could try and argue you get the special ammo for it but they way the rules are worded i would say that's a bit iffy).

·
Son of LO
3,930 Posts
Helpful but I am still lost. Does it mean he has the Boltgun then or the bolt pistol? If it is the bolt pistol he still gets the Special Rounds right?
He can upgrade either the bolt pistol or the bolter to a power fist. Thus either set-up is viable. If the model has a bolter then it's a bolter.

Special rounds still apply to combi-weapons if I remember correctly so they should also apply to bolt pistols. I'm not certain what the RAW is on that.

·
The Uncivil Servent
900 Posts
The wording is Boltgun on special rounds so i don't think you can use them with a bolt pistol. Have just double checked the codex.

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 · (Edited)
And so that I can clarify he gets a boltgun AND powerfist

As an added question can I do this for a Captain as well?

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Have you got the Codex? Read it.
My what help you are. Yes as it was ALREADY stated, it does say:

The Space Marine Sergeant may replace his bolt pistol and/or his boltgun with:
Chainsword
powerweapon/lightning claw
plasma pistol
power fist

Now it says somewhat the same thing for the Captain BUT! it does not say that you can have your boltgun AND a powerfist for either. while the model of the sternguard sergeant has both the Power Fist and the Boltgun so I will assume (I hate that word btw) that he can though I would like further clarification. Though To some it may be obvious if GW has put it on a model then yes but I would like some one to voice that.

·
The Future
4,848 Posts
My what help you are. Yes as it was ALREADY stated, it does say:

The Space Marine Sergeant may replace his bolt pistol and/or his boltgun with:
Chainsword
powerweapon/lightning claw
plasma pistol
power fist

Now it says somewhat the same thing for the Captain BUT! it does not say that you can have your boltgun AND a powerfist for either. while the model of the sternguard sergeant has both the Power Fist and the Boltgun so I will assume (I hate that word btw) that he can though I would like further clarification. Though To some it may be obvious if GW has put it on a model then yes but I would like some one to voice that.
I'm sorry, WTF? He starts with a bolt pistol and bolter, and can swap his BOLT PISTOL and/or boltgun for a powerfist so I'm failing to see your problem here... pay X points, and your bolt pistol is now a powerfist.

And Captains do not start with boltguns - they have bolt pistols and chainswords. You may swap either for any in the list of weapons, so yes you can have powerfist and bolter - not that I'd want to, as it's a waste of I5. Go with the relic blade and bolter instead.

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Well I apologize, I just figured that you could not have a two handed weapon as well as a single handed weapon at the same time, my mistake then. For some reason that logic just did bot click. (complete sarcasm intended.)

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Well once again I aplogize I guess I am still new at this game. Maybe I should add that back into my signature for arrogant people such as yourself to read and think before blatantly acting like an ass. Then agian that may be hoping for to much. Regardless thank you for your slight help.

·
Registered
2,638 Posts
Well I apologize, I just figured that you could not have a two handed weapon as well as a single handed weapon at the same time, my mistake then. For some reason that logic just did bot click. (complete sarcasm intended.)
Its been noted numerous times by others members, that logic should not really apply in a game that is essentially about super-mutants, aliens, and demons slap-fighting and throwing things at one another.

There's nothing in the rulebook that restricts what kind of gear a model may possess. The individual Codex books, on the other hand, tell us what each model may have. GW may catch flak for ambiguities that crop up in the rules, but they've certainly done well enough of a job that the codex books don't tell us we can take gear that the main book denies.

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Short quick and concise. Thank you. I only ask these questions because I have as a HQ choice Captain Shrike. So I figured in a 500 pt game use one of my extra Metal Sternguard sergeants as a Captain choice. I am still lacking on a lot of things actually.

·
The Future
4,848 Posts
Well once again I aplogize I guess I am still new at this game. Maybe I should add that back into my signature for arrogant people such as yourself to read and think before blatantly acting like an ass. Then agian that may be hoping for to much. Regardless thank you for your slight help.
I was being sarcastic, nothing more. You quoted the full rules regarding the subject, I just used dry humour to point out that you already knew the answer.

I would say one of the biggest mistakes people make (and there's one guy in particular I play with it's taken him a year to get his head round) is that - logical or not - if there isn't a rule to say you can't then you probably can. The main case in point for this would be the fact you can't fire a gun if you're in a transport that moved 12", but if it moved 12" and then you got out it's ok. Basically don't imagine rules that aren't there, you'll only hinder yourself.

Slightly OTT, is there actually anything in the BRB regarding putting together army lists? I don't remember seeing anything in there, but it's been a while since I read throught it cover to cover.

·
Registered
2,638 Posts
Slightly OTT, is there actually anything in the BRB regarding putting together army lists? I don't remember seeing anything in there, but it's been a while since I read throught it cover to cover.
Look to pages 86 & 87, "Organizing a Battle".:beer:

·
My backpack has JETS!
1,983 Posts
The rationale is that some individuals (typically, sergeants, captains and other such characters) are skilled or strong enough to make use of a two handed weapon in a single hand. If your codex says you can do it, then it's a safe bet you can - this is merely what I was saying.

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
I was being sarcastic, nothing more. You quoted the full rules regarding the subject, I just used dry humour to point out that you already knew the answer.

I would say one of the biggest mistakes people make (and there's one guy in particular I play with it's taken him a year to get his head round) is that - logical or not - if there isn't a rule to say you can't then you probably can. The main case in point for this would be the fact you can't fire a gun if you're in a transport that moved 12", but if it moved 12" and then you got out it's ok. Basically don't imagine rules that aren't there, you'll only hinder yourself.

Is it ok for me to quote you on that? I have that way of thinking but when it comes to a game I am new at I am not always sure. Usually I read up on it and if I have a question I end up asking even if the answer is slapping me in the face. This reminds me of Magic the gathering and other such games (yes D&D included) I hav a habit to abuse rules that should but do not exist.

Thank you all. Now I need to get a decent list ready for this tourney. . . any sugestions? its 500 pts my Tau teammate has the Heavy, and Fire Warriors while I need to bring in elites and a fast attack. . .

1 - 20 of 24 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.