Librarium Online Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Monkey of Mystery
2,789 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all- quick question. Now we've all read each others cool ideas and built 8 tables worth of nice scenery, how do you store it? I always find scenery never stacks and ends up chipped, broken and with fairly flat forests. Any suggestions?

·
Formerly C/-Rt3r
833 Posts
I have a whole book shelf that i am dedicating to warhammer. So i can easily just put it there. The problem is, me and my friend are going to start building an entire board and i have no clue where i am putting that? Does any1 have any good solutions?

·
Registered
113 Posts
Only a bookshelf!! I need a whole room!
ok so its a small study type room, but still.

Over the years I've accumulated a fair amount of stuff with armies and scenery, oh and my many bits boxes with bits and bobs for that scenery project that will never happen until the day after I throw out all that stuff! ;-)

I box everything up to give it protection when transporting it.
I use the boxes that reams of A4 office paper comes in. They are good because of the lids (rather than the tabs that regular cardboard boxes have).

I have one box for each of the following:
Each army (1 box at least)
Chaos trees
Regular trees (not yet assembled/painted)
Hills and other scenery
A much larger box for Necromunda stuff (about 20"x12")
This list could go on and on but I think you get the idea.

I wish I'd made some hills a little smaller (only talking about 1cm) so they would fit into the box better. I think that packing it and transporting it are important considerations when making a terrain piece. Too many fiddly bits will just get smashed off. Also how the bits will stack and interlink when put in a box might determine how tall you make that tower etc.

When I game at a mates place I have to take all my scenery with me because they are slack and don't make any. I have to make like 3-4 trips to the car with boxes stacked up precariously in front of me. Getting the car ready for a game of warhammer can be more involved than going away on holiday!!

·
Monkey of Mystery
2,789 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
nougat said:
I use the boxes that reams of A4 office paper comes in. They are good because of the lids (rather than the tabs that regular cardboard boxes have).
That's a good call- I just started a new office job so I'll keep an eye out for those.

·
Registered
84 Posts
hey i have the same trouble of trying to find how to store scenery me and my boyfriend are trying to figure out ideas i think i mite get a book shelf sought of thing. it jsut sucks u want to make this really cool scenry but u cant store your table anywhere :(.

·
Registered
113 Posts
I must add that trees are a pain to package. I think you just have to be prepared for them getting damged in the game from flying dice and damaged again in transit by crashing into themselves. AND they take up heaps of packing space.

I use a whole A4 box for my trees (about 10 separate trees which i put on a larger base in games). I put some foamy-polystyreney stuff at the bottom and cut out bits to house each treebase in its customised packing area. It works better than just trowing them in a box but they still get a bit damaged when you take them out and their branches snag on each other. -I guess that'll teach me for making gnarled trees with scraggly branches going all over the place. -They look good on the table though.

·
Formerly C/-Rt3r
833 Posts
I thought of a great solution to storing the scenery boards. I put it in my completely portable board post if yall havent checked it out yet :shifty:

Edit: Oh ya and thanks monkey for given me the idea fo dis board. This post got me tinken and *boom*

·
Registered
25 Posts
I've set up a permanent double-table in my garage (bad luck, car - face the elements...). What that means is that I've a 6'x4' 1/2"MDF sheet on two sturdy wooden sawhorses, with a second sheet mounted directly above it about 1' higher. So there's a gaming table at a good height (I'm 6'3" and hate stooping to play) and underneath there's 24sq' of storage for terrain.

But I do like the idea of A4 boxes, they'd make the terrain stackable, and free the second board for those 12'x4' games we all want to play...

·
Registered
113 Posts
To be honest, I find that the A4 boxes are the best thing for transporting scenery, but maybe not storing it. If you have a bookshelf or bonus area under a table then thats great. And if all games with that scenery are at that location then that would be perfectly adequate. But as soon as you need to take all those hills, trees, buildings somewhere else...

Storing it kind of depends on how you store your army as well, and how much space you have in your house devoted to the hobby. Whatever works for you is probably the best solution for you.

If all games are played near to where the bookshelf is then I'd even recommend against using A4 boxes. Sometimes I find that I have too many of them and can't be bothered unpacking box 3 to get the lava flow terrain out (even though it would look cool) because of the clutter the unpacked box of terrain will add to the already cluttered area around the game board. What with models, army lists, dice, calculator, pens, codex, rules, models, etc (I know models is in there twice - there are a lot of them!!)

1 - 10 of 10 Posts