Librarium Online Forums banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have been reading a lot of ork-y posts lately and it seem like a lot of you really like storm boyz. I just want to know - why? and what do you use them for?

Thanks!

·
Registered
39 Posts
Well, I'm starting a footsloggerz army, mainly because the vehicles suck and im not to great with conversions. I'm looking into stormboys for guys that might get across the table without getting shot to bits, or at least provide a good distraction. Plus, Zagstruck, i think thats the guy's name, is pretty damn cool.

·
Registered
827 Posts
I like 'em just cos they look cool!:w00t: And most jump infantry are good anyway, why not these.:yes:

·
Registered
6 Posts
When you get that stormboy nob that lets you do turbo-swoop it lets you get some pretty decent bonuses in movent and attack... that and crashing... that's always orky fun... Other than looking good I have to say it fills in footslogger lack of speed quite well...

·
Registered
255 Posts
The special character really makes stormboyz kick some serious ass- 24" range, S4 charge? Wham, Blam, Thankyou Beakies!

·
Registered
34 Posts
I have been using 2 squads of 18 stormboyz with a nob + power claw. In my experience they are the safety units in our army list.

-They move twice but do not cost twice !
-They can start CC in turn 2. If you move first, it means your enemy only shot you 1 turn !!!
-They are initially(1st turn) well protected by force field & scenario
-They are easily protected by wartruck in turn 2, when you move ahead your vehicles.
-They are large units so the waaagh will work !
-Once you kill an enemy unit, you can easily assault far from your position.
(Note that when you disembark you ussually never embark and assault again, and if you do so, you need 2 turns !!!)
-You can jumpo enemies unit and atact directly to units waiting to contra-assault you.
-They react very fast. You can assault far from your position in 2 turns.
-I like the figures
- etc,etc

·
Registered
2,059 Posts
It is very true, many ork player design entire armies around Zagstrukk. I use him in my speedfreaks as my army is heading into assault anyway, might as well get a unit there on turn 1, and get the reinforcements there on turn 2. The +1 str off charge is worth the risk in my opinion. In addition, the unit has to be large, as without the Waagh storm boys are very vulnerable to getting hacked to pieces in the 2nd round of combat during round 2 of the assault.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks for the tips! I have a 'footslogger' list at the moment with lots of boyz. How many units of stormboyz do you take... just one? My main opponents will be Tau (mechanized I think the strat is called) and Daemoen hunters.. I'm especially worried about getting into combat with the Tau. Do you think stormboyz would help?

·
Registered
268 Posts
As a deamon hunter player i think the versatility of the storm boyz will help alot. With these guys you will have the ability to move very far and assault key units, like persay a unit of five IST with meltas that are going to blow up what ever tanks you might have. However remeber that stormboyz are still orks and they die like orks!

·
Registered
34 Posts
Completely true, stromboyz are still orks ans so die like orks ;-)

I have never used Zagstruck(my oponents nevar allowed me).

Anyway, I ussually play 2 units of 18 with nob + pk + horns. Number is very important for these units. If you like speed freak, use one of 20 of this boyz. I protect them in the fisrt turn with scenario or/and kustom force field and I used 4 buggies to completely confer protection to them after the fist movement turn(combine with scenario is not that hard).

·
Registered
285 Posts
they can move behind cover, trees, and not get killed.

you dont need the oppenents permission to field zagstruk.

i use one unit of 17, (da vulchas)

then two units of 15

i have 60...

·
Registered
1,019 Posts
I've never used them before, my army uses kommandos to get closer to the enemy, but I think they could be very handy against mech Tau who are a very tough army for Orks to beat. You can only ever glance their vehicles, so the only time I've ever destroyed Tau vehicles is by getting a powerklaw close to them surrounded by lots of cannon fodder so you can make use of the nob's large number of attacks. Storm boys would be good for this, especially in multiple mobs.

Your rokkits won't do anything and zzappers will ony work if you're lucky. You have to either run like crazy and hope your PK nob's still alive when he gets to the tanks, or hide and wait for them to come to you, which they won't do unless the mission forces them to. I hate fighting mech tau.

·
Registered
34 Posts
userpaladin said:
you dont need the oppenents permission to field zagstruk.
Why?
He is a special character and (at least) playing at 1500 points I think you must agree with your opponent using this chartacters, am I wrong?

·
706 Posts
ive always wanted to use stormboyz, but i was detered by one thing..... the price! i think it is 35$ for 8 of them! i cant afford to make big skwads of them with that much mullah! which is very unfortunate, because im really anxious to try them out!

·
Registered
2,059 Posts
Your supposed to seek an opponents permission prior to using Zagstrukk, this is often over looked in many situations. In tournaments there is usually a unanimous rule allowing special character, and in gaming stores most people are playing for fun so it doesn't whole matter much.

·
Registered
382 Posts
MouseC112 said:
Your supposed to seek an opponents permission prior to using Zagstrukk, this is often over looked in many situations. In tournaments there is usually a unanimous rule allowing special character, and in gaming stores most people are playing for fun so it doesn't whole matter much.
You don't need permission to use special characters in 4th ed. It doesn't say it anywhere in the rule book.

·
Registered
443 Posts
Ickebeebon said:
ive always wanted to use stormboyz, but i was detered by one thing..... the price! i think it is 35$ for 8 of them! i cant afford to make big skwads of them with that much mullah! which is very unfortunate, because im really anxious to try them out!
All you really need to do is bitz order and some green stuff the rokket on to the back thats a very simple way and i makes them look like they just strapped a rokket on to their back.:beer: :beer::beer: :beer::beer: :beer::beer: :beer::beer: :beer::beer: :beer::beer: :beer::beer: :beer::beer: :beer::beer: :beer::beer: :beer::beer: :beer::beer: :beer::beer: :beer::beer: :beer::beer: :beer::beer: :beer::beer: :beer::beer: :beer::beer: :beer::beer: :beer::beer: :beer::beer: :beer::beer: :beer::beer: :beer::beer: :beer::beer: :beer::beer: :beer::beer: :beer::beer: :beer::beer: :beer::beer: :beer::beer: :beer::beer: :beer::beer: :beer::beer: :beer::beer: :beer::beer: :beer::beer: :beer::beer: :beer::beer: :beer::beer: :beer::beer: :beer::beer: :beer::beer: :beer::beer: :beer::beer: :beer::beer: :beer::beer: :beer::beer: :beer::beer: :beer::beer: :beer::beer: :beer::beer: :beer::beer: :beer::beer: :beer::beer: :beer::beer: :beer::beer: :beer::beer: :beer::beer: :beer::beer: :beer::beer: :beer::beer: :beer::beer: :beer::beer: :beer::beer: :beer::beer: :beer::beer: :beer::beer: :beer::beer: :beer::beer: :beer::beer: :beer::beer: :beer::beer: :beer::beer: :beer::beer:

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Thanks all. I feel the mech tau will be my biggest difficulty... when we start playing larger games I'll post his list and beg for help :)

1 - 20 of 27 Posts