Librarium Online Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
165 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My first question is how many attacks do they get on the charge in a squad of ten? I counted 4 each but that seems rather cheesy. I counted 1 to start, +1 on the charge, +1 mandiblasters, and +1 pistols. Also if I infiltrate what types of units should I want to attack? thank you and sorry for my newbish questions.

·
1,059 Posts
You have the numbers right. Add in 3+ save and the extra str and you can see why these are a great aspect. As for targets try to stay away from stuff with +2 saves or FnP and lots of powerweapon/rending. The standard marine tac squad is fair game though, it may take them two rounds of combat to win but they generally will only loose a couple of models themselves. If you have your choice of good targets hit what will cause the rest of your list the most problems.

·
Thinks he's a big deal
1,233 Posts
My first question is how many attacks do they get on the charge in a squad of ten? I counted 4 each but that seems rather cheesy. I counted 1 to start, +1 on the charge, +1 mandiblasters, and +1 pistols. Also if I infiltrate what types of units should I want to attack? thank you and sorry for my newbish questions.
Not particularly cheesy. Striking Scorpions are slaughtering machines that are a terror to massed infantry. I'm debating whether or not to blow my friend away by charging his Tyranids with Banshees and Scorpions (against Nidzillas and medium infantry, respectively). 4 attacks (with the chainsword +1 S factored in) is pretty murder to light and medium infantry.

Just remember, any Eldar unit is (theoretically) specced to be very good against certain units. This is what Striking Scorpions do VERY well.

·
Registered
846 Posts
I use them to tear through our local IG player. Not just against his infantry, but I give my exarch the biting blade. And against his stationary vehicles he gets 4 S8 auto hits! But all of those S4 hits against AV10 armor will undoubtedly do some damage also. Not a cheesey unit, but an effective one.

·
Thinks he's a big deal
1,233 Posts
I use them to tear through our local IG player. Not just against his infantry, but I give my exarch the biting blade. And against his stationary vehicles he gets 4 S8 auto hits! But all of those S4 hits against AV10 armor will undoubtedly do some damage also. Not a cheesey unit, but an effective one.
Alternatively, you could arm him with the Scorpion's Claw and be able to pop Leman Russes.

Edit: That isn't to say that the Biting Blade can't pop Leman Russes, but not having mathhammered it I would estimate that it's more likely to pop heavier armor (like the LRBT) with a Scorpion Claw than a Biting Blade.

·
Registered
392 Posts
Alternatively, you could arm him with the Scorpion's Claw and be able to pop Leman Russes.

Edit: That isn't to say that the Biting Blade can't pop Leman Russes, but not having mathhammered it I would estimate that it's more likely to pop heavier armor (like the LRBT) with a Scorpion Claw than a Biting Blade.
Why? The only difference is in the strenght of the attack, the claw will always be S 6, with the biting blade varying between S 4 and S 8 depending on the amount of hits, and against a stationary vehicle he will have the maximum amount of hits thus resulting in more likelyhood of destroying it. I'm not sure how you handle the modifiers on the damage chart, but power weapons are not ap1 (they just do not allow armour saves) so I don't think they get any bonus when rolling the damage against vehicles, I'm actually not sure how to resolve melee attacks against vehicles, off hand it seems they should always get -1 on the damage roll since there are no melee attacks I know of that have an AP value and thus should count as 'AP- weapons' attacks, but I'm not sure about that last part.

·
LO's Shadow Captain
12,783 Posts

·
Thinks he's a big deal
1,233 Posts
Why? The only difference is in the strenght of the attack, the claw will always be S 6, with the biting blade varying between S 4 and S 8 depending on the amount of hits, and against a stationary vehicle he will have the maximum amount of hits thus resulting in more likelyhood of destroying it. I'm not sure how you handle the modifiers on the damage chart, but power weapons are not ap1 (they just do not allow armour saves) so I don't think they get any bonus when rolling the damage against vehicles, I'm actually not sure how to resolve melee attacks against vehicles, off hand it seems they should always get -1 on the damage roll since there are no melee attacks I know of that have an AP value and thus should count as 'AP- weapons' attacks, but I'm not sure about that last part.
Are powerfists 2S + 1D6? If so, you are right, as long as the tank didn't move.

·
Registered
392 Posts
AP is for shooting only. You only use the Strength of a close combat attack and the D6 rolls to figure out if it meet the AV or not.
Yes I know that you only use the strength, I was pointing out that you don't get the AP1 bonus from power weapons. In a sense I think all melee attacks are really AP-, but since it never explicitly says so either I would say that according to the rules you can never get either the AP bonus or the AP drawback on the damage roll against vehicles.

·
LO's Shadow Captain
12,783 Posts
Yes I know that you only use the strength, I was pointing out that you don't get the AP1 bonus from power weapons. In a sense I think all melee attacks are really AP-, but since it never explicitly says so either I would say that according to the rules you can never get either the AP bonus or the AP drawback on the damage roll against vehicles.
I understand that "in a sense" that could apply, but in actuality, there is simply no AP value, anyway. AP- is still an AP value; AP just simply does not apply at all.

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

·
Registered
846 Posts
Reg my local IG opponent. I generally position my Scorpions to assault his Basilisks, it will also force him to move his other vehicles out of my assault range, thus limiting his fire an forcing him to react to me rather than me to him.

Again, for the psychological factor, infiltrating a full sized unit that can more than hold their own can force your opponent to adjust his 'deployment' in his first turn. Thus throwing a wrench in his initial plans.

I often will support my scorpions with Pathfinders, since they both infiltrate. A scary and deadly combo. And pathfinders rending on a 5+ has some armor popping potential (not much, but enough to give my opponent pause).

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.