Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
well,
imagine it's an areana of death type of thing,
following the normal restrictions for chrecters, (like how many magic items they can have) list you own chrecter of devious strength :)

here's my own

High Elf Prince,
mounted on a dragon :D
blade of darting steel,
vembraces of defence,
heavy armour,
shield,
second hand weapon.
:) :) :)

the basic idea was, even if i lost the first turn and got charged, i'd be striking first with my nice sword, then let my dragon do th rest.

one thing ive noticed is wizards dont work to well in these situations,
cuase there are many magic items which negate magic or provide protection from it (amulet of purifying flame and a lore masters cloack, pretty much makes any elf chrecter inv to magic)

·
Registered
78 Posts
How about that vampire count special character?
Zaccharais the everliving...
He cost 1000 odd points and is mounted on a Zombie Dragon, but he is a necrach. Still he is equal to a level 5 wizard and has loads of magic items including a regenerating dispel scroll for every turn.

My tactic: Cast Hand of Dust on himself (necromancy: 7+ if hits auto kills) and then hit his enemies with that deadly touch

·
Lord of the Household
1,733 Posts
Are you talking about home-made characters?

If not then one worth mentioning would be Gotrek the trollslayer...

I love that guy...

·
1,019 Posts
Well my only character is a Necrarch, so it wouldnt last a second in a Death arena. But i'll list him later when i tweak him abit ;)

·
Registered
7 Posts
For regular Lords that are not special characters, the Tomb King from Khemri has to be up in the top.
For 170 base points and not counting mounts (I'm sorry but a chaos lord on a dragon isnt a base lord) having ws6, s&t5, 5 wounds and you can cast two spells per turn and they always have to worry about "the curse" if he is killed, that seems like he's going be able to stick around and kill his points worth.

As far as special characters though, Zacaryas the Broken and Mathkief (the dark elf guy) have to be two of the best. As far as the coolest, Sehenesmet in the newest WD is awesome (because he's a manditory conversion).

Word.

·
Registered
22 Posts
My nice new blood dragon vampire lord with the sword of might, the flayed hauberk mounted on a zombie dragon is pretty bad.

Its just zachariah's dragon with the mounted blood dragon with the long hair.

·
Registered
144 Posts
i have two people Archaon, Lord of the End Times but as you said home maid id say Wight Lord with the Sword of Kings and Casket of Ages.
Now thats what i call walking death.

·
Registered
13 Posts
This guy can take almost anyone. Even a blood dragon lord on zombie dragon. Only Tyrion, or a bloodthirster, or Valten can get him:
Chaos Lord: Mark of khorne, great weapon, helm of many eyes, armour of damnation, gaze of the gods.
He is very nasty.
On the subject of guys on dragons, especially with undead, a hard hero will just take down your mount, and kill you with combat resolution. :(
Credit must go to Bing Yang for his hard work to create this monster.
*Archaon can last a good 12 rounds of combat with him, but if he uses his daemony thing, he will probably kill himself before killing this guy.
The only way to beat him is with either a large quantity of cannon fire or some lucky dice rolls with killing blow.

·
Registered
814 Posts
The only character who could easily beat ever single lord in the arena of death is, no doubt, an empire engineer hero. :blink:
With van horstmans speculum of course. ;)
(for those that don't know it's a handy-dandy magic item that swaps stats with any character the bearer is in a challenge with.

·
Registered
86 Posts
Olonsdale beat me to it(though i claim originality due to a previos mention of it). I would of given him mark of tzeetch though. You can swap one spell for a spell that lets you reroll EVERYTHING and cast it on 5d6. 1v1 thats unstoppable,since the opponent would only hav e 2 dispell dice. Other than that,he would be strength 7 striking first with 5 Rerollable WS8 attacks. Put him on a steed and he now has a 2+ armour save and a 4+ ward save,and everything without WS9 will hit with an average of 1/4 attacks,then goes up against the armour,ward,andT5. Taking into account your ability to reroll both the armour and the ward save.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Only prob with that is that you have a considerable chance to miscast if you do that. Plus the extra attack can help deal with things you might otherwise not kill in a round (killing blow could get nasty), but essentially, there is no difference in a 1 on 1 duel. If you are not careful, you may well end up losing the combat because you couldnt bring enough attacks to bear.

·
Registered
86 Posts
If on 5 dice yes. I would never use 5 dice for a spell unless i needed to outmuslce an opponents dispell cababilities. But if you use 3d6 you will most likely get a higher roll than 2d6 dispell,and only a 1/18 chance of miscast. And most of the miscasts wont be too threatening. If i take a strength 10 hit,i still get a 4+ ward save. And even then,ive never lost more than 1 wound on this character before winning the combat. Killing blow is a problem,but not too much of it. The average killing blow character makes 4-5 attacks. With rerolls and a 4+ to hit,that means 1 hits. then a 1/6 chance of killing blow. Then a 50/50 chance of ward save,which is actually more because of the reroll. WIth the reroll,the chance of killing blow is 1/24. Not very likely to happen,and thus this can be moved into the "luck wins all battles" senario,where a spearman can kill my chaos lord through horrible rolling. So now that we've established that the downsides you mentioned require a huge amount of luck to come into effect,lets look at the upsides of +1 attack over rerolls to hit and more dispell dice,and even some missle spells. Well,for one,5 attacks with rerolls is ALOT more effective than 6 attacks. Even without,the difference between 5 and 6 is often very little. If i need 3's to hit,5 attacks gives me 3.35 attacks hitting. With 6 attacks 4 miss. The difference is just a little over half a hit Then take
into account that if you lose combat it goes away,things arent looking good. So lets weigh the pros and cons

tzeetch:
more dice for dispels
rerolls in combat
magic missiles

cons:
luck can be a very minor problem

Khorne:
+1 attack
more dice for dispells

cons:
goes away if you lose combat
luck is always a factor in 1v1 combat

So to review,my lord has a minor decrease in melee skills in exchange for the chance at a major increase in melee skills AND magic superiority by alot(the only lvl4 fightly lord on earth). This is in exchange for the odd miscast(taking into account the worst that happens is losing magic casting or a 50/50 chance of losing a wound) and the fact that the lord is supposedly "less killy"

On a final note,now that we have established the amount of hits in a 5v6 attack senario,and how minor it is,i would have to conclude anything your lord could kill quickly,mine could as well.

·
Registered
707 Posts
Meh... Sensei with Fellblade and Talisman of Protection would be one of the baddest characters out there.

Moves 14" so he will get the charge (unless you just skitterleap him right into combat). And when he gets into combat, he whups out 4 attacks with WS8 and Strength 10, and each wound he causes is multiplied by D6.

This fellow will take down almost anything.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Hmmm, gets stomped by anyone with the ability to always strike first really, especially the characters both Amroth and myself put forward. If you are able to survive the chaos lords attacks, you might have a slight chance, but it would not be terribly high, since you are hitting on 4's, and then he has a 4+ ward. Even if the chaos lord only causes a couple of wounds on your char, you could still end up killing yourself.

·
Registered
238 Posts
Seeing how most of these people are using very fighty and not much magic characters, I have several favorite characters this is just one of them, I'll post the rest later

HighElf Prince-untouchable
Radiant Gem Of Hoeth
Talsiman Of Saphery
Silver Wand
Biting Blade
Dragon Armour

What happens is this, he casts walk between worlds so he becomes ethereal, he can only be hurt by magic weapons and magic, next the talisman of saphery will turn all magical weapons into regular weapons so he can only be hurt by magic. He also has the silver wand to get himself another spell like Fury Of Khaine

·
Registered
707 Posts
Just dispel the WBW spell, and take him down =P .

About the Fellblade guy, yes he could be taken down by Strike First chars. Thats his main problem. Otherwise, he can take almost anything. And if he survives the first attacks from the strikefirst char, that strike first char most likely is dead.

·
Registered
238 Posts
but noone here really has taken anyone who could dispel it

1 - 20 of 31 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.