Librarium Online Forums banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well, I'm not quite sure here to go for advice on the subject, so my local Space Marine forum sounds like a good place to start. I'm not sure if its my list, what im up against or how im playing, but it must be at least one and I am hoping to find help. My list is-
HQ
Pedro 175
Troops
10 tactical marines, power fist, ML, Flamer, Rhino, x2 = 460

Elites
Dreadnought with heavy flamer + drop pod x2 = 300
10 Sternguard with combi meltas in drop pod 335
Heavy Support
2 Vindicators 230
1500/
I generally drop down my dreads and sternies and do some damage with melta, while placing a rhino with 5 guys in on an objective. then I pick off what I can with the vindicators and... not much with the extra tactical squad other than the occasional bolter fire ^^;
This may be because my 4 games with the list have been vs experienced ork mek players, with lots of veichles and not many boyz on foot. one army has 60 boyz which my vindicator and tactical marine took out quite quickly, whereas the other with lots of tankbusters obliterates this list.
If you can help, give me some advise, or both, I would really, REALLY appreciate it. I love marines, I love the fluff, and I would like to improve. Many thanks.
P.S. I am thinking the first step would be to replace my sternies ?

·
Registered
301 Posts
I haven't played in a while, so take my advise with discretion.

My list is-
HQ
Pedro 175
Troops
10 tactical marines, power fist, ML, Flamer, Rhino, x2 = 460
This is fine.

A side issue to consider however is: Why take Kantor to begin with? Seeing how you've been pondering dropping the Sternguard, Kantor would be redundant. The Orbital strike wouldn't provide a substantial advantage considering your 2 Vindicators, and the Attack bonus wouldn't affect much.

Elites
Dreadnought with heavy flamer + drop pod x2 = 300
10 Sternguard with combi meltas in drop pod 335
I'm not a fan of Drop pod dreadnoughts. Especially the Melta/flamer type. For 300 points (That can scatter off mark) you get 2 melta shots (One of which will statistically miss), the other will have a marginal effect 1/3 of the time . Firing 2 heavy flamers will at best kill 16 orks: 96 points , or wound 4 marines... at the cost of 4 kill points , a mediocre close combat potential afterward. And the worst is that its only efficiently deployed if it's within range of enemy Monstrous creature assault , enemy meltas and leaving a rear Av 10 open to enemy shooting next turn...

I'd advise going with the ML/AC set up. Better range, broader list of targets it can affect. Plus it retain the "tar pit" value of a Walker with 12 front Av. If you'd rather keep Heavy flamer/melta dreads on the playing field, go with Iron clads: They'll focus shots off your Vindicators and actually survive all the way to close combat where they're more effective.

Sternguards are an other story. You need to justify their cost either by fielding more and keeping kantor : Use your basic troops as proxy Sternguards and add some scouts in the Troop selection instead. Or you need to tone them down: Switch the drop pod with a tactical's rhino ,lower their numbers.

Heavy Support
2 Vindicators 230
1500/
This is the other part of the story. Both your Stern guards and vindicators are stepping on each others toes ... and tracks. Either one needs to be sacrificed to add "disposable" units on the ground.

If you want a tactic that's more armor oriented; Drop the Sternguards and kantor , add some more Rhinos and tacticals and a "Beamer" Master of the forge or something. If you want a more infantry based tactic: I'd keep kantor , and some sternguards, drop the dreads and vindicators for some TH/SS assault terminators, a scout squad with telion.

Hope this helps.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.