Librarium Online Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
247 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This is actualy a copy of a post from my LGC's forums. Ive now decided to keep it up and running here in the public eye on Librarium Online. Ofcourse any C&C will be apreciated.

This first post if a consolidation of about 1 weeks worth of updates. So excuse the bad layout :)

This is what Ive been doing the past few days since I got recrippled due to an operation on my legs again.

Its good practise as I need to get back into the swing of things.
This is an Ultra marine HQ and because I havent a clue what's a good layout for it, Ive decided to magnetise the different arm and weapon layouts for it. It sounds a pain but Ive actualy realy enjoyed it so far.
I have used it as a chance to experiment too, this is the first time Ive painted in sub assemblies, magnetised anything other then a vehicle, and not used washes to shade. So far, so good!

Edit: - FYI the torso isnt complete, the red's needs shading and highlighting and some general touchups too

update

Still not actualy stuck together, but its comming on nicely :D

Update

Here we are. Arms are not finished, but with the base coats you get the idea. Ive got the shots with the other weapons on too. camera isnt in great focus, but it will do for these update shots.

·
LO's Resident Time Lord
3,270 Posts
Second the photo issue. You don't need a white background strictly, just something uniform and light-colored. Minus-T uses what looks like a gray dishtowel or tablecloth or something.

Lighting is key, too. Kudos to you for using daylight (which is best), but if your physical condition permits it, take them outside. If you need to stay indoors, invest in at least one positional lamp (one of those flexible-necked desk lamps will work fine) with a "daylight" light bulb. It's one of those bulbs with the sky-blue "frosting" on it. You can get one cheap at most hardware/DIY shops.

Whatever you use, do everything possible to make sure the light is pointing at your model from the SAME DIRECTION as the camera. This eliminates the harsh shadows that are making it tough for us to see these.

From what I can see, though, it's looking good so far. Magnetizing is a good habit to get into. I've done it a couple of times, and I will do it a lot more before I'm done!

Good luck with your legs. Hope you feel better.

·
Registered
3,220 Posts
Very nice looking commander, much better than mine. And thanks to all for the photo tips, I'm just about to get into that myself.

·
LO's Resident Time Lord
3,270 Posts
Looking much better, but I still think the angle of the light source could be better. If that's the window you're using, consider getting another light shining from the opposite direction. It will help a lot!

So far, though, the paint job looks pretty darned good. Keep it up!

·
Registered
247 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Its been a long time since I have used this thread. But Im back on the painting waggon. So here wego, my new Dark Eldar force, and my first trial mini. A dark Eldar Warrior

With flash

Picks out the colours more. But it actualy looks more like this in real light.

Think I should try another more extreme highlight? Any other tips? Please be critical, I want to improve.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.