Librarium Online Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
The Alchemist
699 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
At the moment I have 36 warriors at my disposal. I could seperate them into groups, but then they're rather small and only one can be chosen. So I thought about it for a while, and came up with this:

36 Chosen Chaos Warriors, with Mark of Khorne, two Hand Weapons, Banner of Rage and a full command group, at 953pts (!). This brings them to 4 attacks each IIRC (haven't played in years), 5 on the charge. If i put them into 3 ranks of 12 they should be wide enough to charge one large unit or two small units while retaining some ranks. I'll probably throw a Chaos Lord of Khorne into the fray, with two hand weapons also.

The problem is, I haven't played in ages, and I've probably made some stupid mistakes. Can anyone tell me whether this unit will be decent on the battlefield? (I play against orcs and ogres mostly)

·
575 Posts
What came spontaneous to me were the following two words:
Fire Magnet

Well, it might not be so bad (proper screening assumed), but the protecting units will be similarly unwieldy.
And they can absorb some casualties without problems, but as advancing infantry they gonna suffer several rounds of enemy fire (I'd suggest at least adding shields, they won't make the unit much more expensive)

And it won't happen that you'll be able to charge several units at once, even with a 12'' frontage.
I at least would position my units so that you would have to chew though them one after another with havein enough space due to your wide frontage to counter-charge them (If I wouldn't just evade them)
Well luckily Orks don't have any stubborn/unbreakable units that would simply bog them down (but they have chariots, not to mention savage boar boyz with nogg's banner of butchery :rofl )
And Ogres do already impact hits on their own (and they have some stubborn/unbreakable in rare)

So all in all, I'm afraid they won't be too effective.

In a regular sized battle [around 2000 points] I'd either shoot the heck out of such a behemoth unit or if that's impossible, i'd wipe out the small fry and just avoid contact with it (or encircle/charge-bait/march-block it)

·
Advocatus Diaboli
4,571 Posts
It's utter overkill, and I field a unit of 9 CKoK (with a lord). It's slow, and you don't really need any more than the first 18-20.

Curse of years or black horror could be hilarious.

·
Registered
136 Posts
2 hand weapons on chosen aren't too hot at times either IMO.

It might look cool where you get to throw out 20+ attacks and you will win the combat res by miles but you only have 4+saves.

Shields would be a much better buy, you lose an attack but you'd get 3+ saves from shooting and 2+ in combat much better. You might say have only 15+ attacks in your khorne unit but that's still going to win you the combat (usually).

·
Registered
238 Posts
Well the idea itself isn't bad.

The problem is, you're going to crush armies that lack shooting and magic (hey you've got 12 attacks on the side, i wouldn't even dare a flank charge LOL) but in any other case this unit is going to vanish in a couple of turns.

You must think that any opponent will just try to make them run around the battlefield uselessly (exploiting their frenzy), while throwing everything and anything at them: that is ratlings, handguns, cannonballs, bolts, magic missiles, metal magic, FANATICS (since you play against O&G)
Just consider that 75 points of fanatics will completely crush your 1000 points unit.

On the other side, you could make 3 units of 12 that is widely accepted as the right amount for chaos warriors.
;Y

Cheers!

·
The Alchemist
699 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
When you say adding shields, do you mean 2x ccw and shields also?

Orcs and Ogres don't have amazing firepower, so that's not much of a problem. For me, attacks are far more important :) Would Marauders be sufficient meatshields?

42 Posts
When you say adding shields, do you mean 2x ccw and shields also?

Orcs and Ogres don't have amazing firepower, so that's not much of a problem. For me, attacks are far more important :) Would Marauders be sufficient meatshields?
If attacks are more important, it would be best to break your guys into 3 units of 6 front 2 deep. You can plow into close combat, but your front row is the only one doing any fighting until the guy ahead of them dies. So unless you do an 18 man front, you're getting... 25 attacks a round? If you used 3 groups of 12, you could get 25 + 19 + 19 or 63 attacks. That said, Khorne warriors and Chosen warriors benefit more from Halberds than EHW. Not only is it a little cheaper, but now you have S5 hits instead of S4. You're getting lots of extra attacks from the Mark of Khorne and unit champions.

The Short Story:
Chosen Warriors of Khorne w/ Extra Hand Weapons x36
-- 25 S4 Hits
-- A single unwieldy block is easier to avoid and easier to hit with artillery/magic.

Chosen Warriors of Khorne w/ Halberds x12
Warriors of Khorne x12
Warriors of Khorne x12
-- 19+ 13+13 or 45 S5 Hits
-- It's a lot harder to avoid 3 units.

That's my opinion.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.