Librarium Online Forums banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Sub Zero Nids' (NEW pics!)

Hey this is just a VERY rough paint scheme i'm working out. ANY thoughts are welcomed! Harsh or nice :) thanks guys

Thoughts? Comments? Criticism? ALL is welcome :) REMEMBER its a ROUGH draft (not final at all!!) thanks :)

·
221 Posts
I see what you're trying to do. Thing with nids is that the carapace is the perfect vehicle to have good contrast between light and dark, hot and cold.

Nothing wrong with an ice theme but I'd go with a light base skin color. A mix of skull and ice blue comes to mind. Carapace could be a tad darker with a desaturated color like shadow grey. I just find your current base colors are too similar, not that far apart in tone. Vary the colors a bit more and you'll get something that pops and catches the eye. My 2 cents.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I see what you're trying to do. Thing with nids is that the carapace is the perfect vehicle to have good contrast between light and dark, hot and cold.

Nothing wrong with an ice theme but I'd go with a light base skin color. A mix of skull and ice blue comes to mind. Carapace could be a tad darker with a desaturated color like shadow grey. I just find your current base colors are too similar, not that far apart in tone. Vary the colors a bit more and you'll get something that pops and catches the eye. My 2 cents.
okay, thanks. so darker carapace, lighter flesh. thanks!! +repped u :)

·
689 Posts
What aradai said. I'm a complete fan of big contrasts, so I love when there's a big difference between the carapace and the flesh, some highlights on the carapace would be nice as well. I'm also not liking the metal on the devourer very much, But that's just my preference. I never really thought about using a metallic color on my nids, they're as organic as an army can get, so I'd leave the metallic colors at home :) but if you like it like that, that's fine as well.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
What aradai said. I'm a complete fan of big contrasts, so I love when there's a big difference between the carapace and the flesh, some highlights on the carapace would be nice as well. I'm also not liking the metal on the devourer very much, But that's just my preference. I never really thought about using a metallic color on my nids, they're as organic as an army can get, so I'd leave the metallic colors at home :) but if you like it like that, that's fine as well.
i could not really think of a good looking color for the gun, what would you reccomend?? and are u guys looking at th other pictures to?

·
689 Posts
Generally, I would recommend some fleshy color for the gun, but I'm not so sure that would go well with the blue carapace/flesh. I guess you could try something like a dark red with some devlan mud or black wash to give it a bit of a fleshy feel, that would also provide a nice and big contrast from the rest of the model.

I'm unable to view all but the first of your pictures.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Generally, I would recommend some fleshy color for the gun, but I'm not so sure that would go well with the blue carapace/flesh. I guess you could try something like a dark red with some devlan mud or black wash to give it a bit of a fleshy feel, that would also provide a nice and big contrast from the rest of the model.

I'm unable to view all but the first of your pictures.
okay, thanks. and did u try clicking? it works for me

·
Registered
328 Posts
This is just my opinion, but I really like when the scything talons/spikey bits like that are really dark grey in contrast to the much brighter flesh and carapace.
Keep in mind that grey is really nice for ice/frost color schemes as well. If you tried to lighten the flesh you could mix in some kind of light grey to what you have now and I think it would look really nice. Same applies for darkening of the carapace should you decide to do that.

If you look at ice irl, it isn't usually blue. Its a more white/grey color with only subtle hints of blue mixed in.

Just my 2 cents.

P.S. I'm not sure why but I really like how the lil gant is walking on top of the Genestealer bit.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
This is just my opinion, but I really like when the scything talons/spikey bits like that are really dark grey in contrast to the much brighter flesh and carapace.
Keep in mind that grey is really nice for ice/frost color schemes as well. If you tried to lighten the flesh you could mix in some kind of light grey to what you have now and I think it would look really nice. Same applies for darkening of the carapace should you decide to do that.

If you look at ice irl, it isn't usually blue. Its a more white/grey color with only subtle hints of blue mixed in.

Just my 2 cents.

P.S. I'm not sure why but I really like how the lil gant is walking on top of the Genestealer bit.
thanks for the advice:) and funny story about that base. i put him on it because i broke off his foot, and i liked the way it looked so i did it to a few of the models. are the pic links working for othrs?

·
815 Posts
I like the color scheme. It especially stands out on the gargoyles with the lighter wings. I'd say make your lighter blue even lighter as it's too close to the darker blue. Plus I'd reccomend playing around with washes to give more depth and shading.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I like the color scheme. It especially stands out on the gargoyles with the lighter wings. I'd say make your lighter blue even lighter as it's too close to the darker blue. Plus I'd reccomend playing around with washes to give more depth and shading.
i just learned how to wash, which washes do u reccomend??

·
Registered
614 Posts
With blue, green weaponry and biomorphs tend to look quite good. I myself use an Orkhide shade base, followed by a Knarloc green drybrush, then a wash of Badab Black. It looks great and is quite easy to do.

·
Master of the Universe
251 Posts
Bulldog, I got soooooo excited when I read the name of this thread. I won't say too much, but I will show you a picture of my ice nids for inspiration. These are a bit old and the color is weird but for the most part you get the idea.

Hope this helps mate!

*Shakes fist at new crappy spinefists!

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Bulldog, I got soooooo excited when I read the name of this thread. I won't say too much, but I will show you a picture of my ice nids for inspiration. These are a bit old and the color is weird but for the most part you get the idea.

Hope this helps mate!
Dude, i LOVE that, how did u highlight the armor though?? is that drybrushing? the highlights look greatt

·
Registered
614 Posts
Looks very similar to my paint job, at least the black-with-blue does anyway. As I understand it, it involves feathering on the base blue, then feathering the lighter blue on the edge. Very effective.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Looks very similar to my paint job, at least the black-with-blue does anyway. As I understand it, it involves feathering on the base blue, then feathering the lighter blue on the edge. Very effective.
this may be a dumb question...but what is feathering? is it what it sounds like?

·
Registered
614 Posts
Ah, poop, I was hoping to avoid this. I'm not very good at explaining my painting methods, and "feathering" is defined differently in How To Paint Citadel Miniatures. Anyway, you get a brush with a good point on it, smaller for smaller miniatures, larger for larger miniatures. You then get your colour of choice (In my case, grey) and brush the colour on in quick, stabbing motions, creating an uneven "line" along the ridge of the miniatures armour plating. You then repeat the process but to a much finer extent with the lighter colour, starting with about halfway up the previous "line" and ending at the armour. The end result should be a nice uneven line across the armour plates of the model, with a highlight layer at the very edge. Here's some of the models I've done this way:

These pictures don't really show the technique all that well, but when I was taking them I was more focusing on the model as a whole, rather than the feathering technique on the armour. It was codex grey and then space wolves grey, then a asurmen blue wash though, not blue to begin with.

·
Registered
2,138 Posts
Regarding the devourer, i like to do a 2 tone scheme, having the main part of the weapon as a grey and then the actuall nest (the bit with all the holes) an alternate colour looks very effective. Given your scheme id try that as a light sort of brown.

Just visualised in my head anyway, see how it looks.

·
Registered
2,138 Posts
Regarding the devourer, i like to do a 2 tone scheme, having the main part of the weapon as a grey and then the actuall nest (the bit with all the holes) an alternate colour (id say a light sort of brown) might look very effective.

Just visualised in my head anyway, see how it looks.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts