Librarium Online Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
718 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
As the title says,

One of the features you get for being a subscriber is: "Access to Exclusive Forum", but I can't see this 'special' forum.
I don't miss it, heck I became a subscriber because I want to support LO (and those custom user titles, I admit..) and I hope this isn't regarded as a complaint in any form, I just wanted to point this out and suggest you remove it from the features or actually add it, to prevent sadfaces.
I don't see the value of having a 'special' forum though, I like to walk around and be able to point and laugh at the 'peasants ' in their own environment. :messed:

Cheers,
Idomisei

·
Registered
269 Posts
Yeah, the whole "Access to Exclusive Forum" thing is probably a bad idea anyway. Why would anyone post there? If you had a straight choice of posting your thread in a restricted forum where only "subscribers" can see it, or in the main forum area where far more people can see it, respond to it, and it can get more general attention; which one would you pick? I know I wouldn't bother.

It's good that you like to support LO though. I'm quite enjoying the site myself. I'm still fairly new here though. I've decided I'm going to make my introduction post as my 25th post rather than my first. I thought it would be better that way as I've so far joined about 5 sites, only to find things like the members are overly snobby/elitist, the forum was so excessively 40k focused the fantasy section may as well not be there, or worst of all, the moderators are far too easily offended and/or power-mad and like to treat every new member like they're a child *cough*WarSeer*cough*. It's good here though, generally pleasant people so far, unintrusive moderators who don't lose their shit if you say a harsh word (massive bonus), decent level of activity, it's all good. Honestly, an "Exclusive Forum" would likely change that dynamic and make the site less welcoming.

·
Keeper of Records and Ale
10,982 Posts
This 'exclusive forum' is a throw back from when we first set up the subscribers to help LO out. It was removed a long time ago, that part of the subscription was just never removed. There was a point where LO had a number of forums that were used for a select group, and yes it did lead to some division. This was scrapped some time ago, so now we have no hidden forums except for the mod/admin ones.

Kuffy

·
Registered
3,220 Posts
I was a subscriber for several years, when I believed it helped blackhat out, but then LO was sold on, to someone who also runs a planted fish tank site. My subscription ran out, and I could not think of a single reason to renew it. For something like this, either everybody should pay, or nobody should pay.

·
Benevolent Dictator
9,222 Posts
Initially, the Subscriber forum was meant to be a lot more informal. We're pretty tight on language rules, keeping threads on topic, keeping thread content relevant to the sections we already have laid out (meaning that "general and off topic" was the only place to talk about football, for example). The Subscriber forum was just sort of a clubhouse to talk about anything, and say whatever. If you wanted to argue politics, do it there, etc. Unfortunately, it was never really used and got cut out - like Kuffy said.

I do agree with Praxis though - I like Blackhat, and while I never subscribed, I did make quite a few offers to help him out in various other ways. It was 'Hat who upgraded me to my present status. When it was sold over to KyleT (the fishtank guy) I was actually kind of hopeful. You could tell that 'Hat was kinda burned out and wasn't really doing much with the forum any more. Kyle tried to run events with actual incentives, like cash etc. He really wanted to bring more members to the site (because it made more money for him, sure, but it was nice to have new faces). He burned out quickly though - I guess that when 'Hat sold it, he really made it sound like a sweet deal, and Kyle was a touch annoyed that it didn't pan out as a huge cash cow (I'm sure he has a monopoly on the planted fishtank forum idea). I think that he wound up selling the site off to someone else, or at least put us into some kind of forum network, which means that we have a lot less direct contact with the "big guys". Kuff's been sticking his finger in the dam for a while now, I think, and keeping the place running because - he's a Dwarf, they don't really "walk away", so a big thanks to Kuffy, everyone!

Luckily, LO pretty much runs itself, and Kuffy appears to have a Matrix/Terminator-like ability to replicate other folks with access to the bits and pieces that help him keep us functioning. I'm sure LO will be around for quite a while to come, thanks to the fact that we're a good, solid base of users, and we don't raise all kinds of hell whenever the owners aren't watching (which, face it, is probably 99% of the time any more).

·
Keeper of Records and Ale
10,982 Posts
Thanks for the support guys, but I don't do that much. I just keep an eye on things, make sure people are doing their jobs etc. But as Captain said, LO basically runs itself. We have a good solid, core group of mods who know their job well.

We are part of a large group now. I don't know the name off hand but MO is the guy who watches over our forum and helps fix problems that myself or Rork (as Admin) can't manage. That isn't that often either. LO is and always have been a group effort. A forum is only as good as the mods and members. I am just here to make sure everyone behaves. ;) Luckily that is quite a quiet job.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts