Librarium Online Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
306 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am thinking about starting a necron army. Does anyone one have any advice on what I should buy in order to get started?

·
No Life King
2,819 Posts
Depending on your funding either start with a battleforce, or a Warrior Phalanx set. If you get the battleforce your next step is to get yourself a Necron Lord to lead your forces, the phalanx includes on. Both are great deals, hand you the core for a very strong army and get you along the way towards having a solid necron force.

·
1,880 Posts
The Warrior Phalanx set is the BEST deal around! Try thewarstore.com or other places you can easily get free shipping and 20% off the GW price too! I've seen some sites doing deals up to 30% too!

·
Registered
1,006 Posts
I've had good results with Maelstrom Games myself. And yes, both the Phalanx and the Battleforce are good buys, so get whatever you can afford.

·
LO's Resident Time Lord
3,270 Posts
Thanks. I think I will start with the battleforce set and then move on from there.
Good start. It almost goes without saying, but if you haven't yet, get the codex.

You'll also need a lord to start you off. With the Battleforce, I'd recommend the blister pack with the Lord on foot carrying a resurrection orb. Nice, simple warrior support.

When fielding your troops, remember to keep them together. Necrons are supposed to be a lurking, slow-marching force. Any high-speed units (scarabs and destroyers, in your case) are not there to shoot off on their own, leaving the rest of your force behind. This is a Bad Idea(TM). Instead, use the scarabs to act as a counter-charge unit to stop any "regular" units that are threatening to charge into close combat. The destroyers are mobile firepower. Again, every unit in the Necron army should be helping the rest of the force, so use the destroyers' mobility and speed to get into better firing positions, NOT to go "lone wolf."

Your battleforce + lord will give you about 750 points. Play a few games at this size, then decide what aspects you'd like to see more of in your army.

Mobility? Consider more destroyers, more scarabs, possibly wraiths, and/or a destroyer lord, but again, don't expect this to be a fast-moving army. Ever. High-speed units should run circles around the slower ones, offering support and preemptive strikes.

Close combat? Not the Necrons' forte, but when done well it can really throw your opponent for a loop. Stock up on flayed ones, wraiths, scarabs, and MAYBE pariahs (though they are NOT for beginners). Larger forces will want a Monolith and/or a C'Tan and Tomb Spyders.

Shooty? No problem. Again, consider a Monolith in 1,000+ games, but for now get immortals, at least 7 of them, to go with a lord with Veil of Darkness (use the walking lord I mentioned above. There's no veil-equipped model out there), plus lots and lots of destroyers, heavy destroyers, and warriors.

If you can't make up your mind, buy warriors. You can NEVER have too many.

Good luck!

·
Registered
1,006 Posts
Also, for budget's sake, know that you can easily get some of the more expensive units by converting warriors. And the conversions are easy too:

Lord - Give a warrior a cape, a staff, and a marble to represent a rez orb. Obviously, don't use the rifle.

Flayed one - Ignore the gun, just glue him hunched down. Cut off his hand (the one not holding the gun, obv) and give him some plasticard claws. Add a bit of greenstuff here and there to represent the pieces of flesh.

Inmortal - Use the extra gun from making flayed ones, and glue it on top of the rifle your warrior has, upside-down. If you don't want to cut off the extra hand (it's a bit complicated) you can instead add some greenstuff decorations on top. Extend the shoulder pads with plasticard.

Pariah - This one is the hardest, and the one that needs the highest greenstuff skillz. BUT it is still quite easy. Add a few extra armor pads here and there. You want to bulk the mini out so it doesn't look so much like a skeleton. The head is really important: Add some crests and/or decorations on the top/front, and cover the teeth so it doesn't seem like a skull. Take the rifle, cut out the small axe, and add a larger one made out of plasticard.

Wraith - Ignore the legs from your warriors, and the rifles. Expand the shoulder pads a LOT, so they also cover the back, and once again give them plasticard claws. Cut a piece of wire (as long as you want the tail to be). Make a roll of greenstuff that's slightly thicker on one end, and as long as the tail. cut it into regular rings while it's still soft, and pierce them with the wire. Give the tail whatever shape you want. When it hardens, add small beads along the back, on each ring. You can detail the end of the tail by repeating this process only much shorter, thinner, and like 3-4 times, or just stick that on a base.

Scarabs - They come for free with your warriors, and you'll need lots of warriors, so yeah. If you want, glue 3 to each base instead of 4. Follows WYSIWYG beter than if you use 4, and gives you and extra swarm per box of warriors.

I hope some of that helps. :)

·
My backpack has JETS!
1,983 Posts
I can't stress how good the Warrior Phalanx boxed set is. That's a very playable 1,500pt army straight away. As people have said above with some creativity you can convert Warriors to Flayed Ones and Immortals.

A good rule of thumb with Necron armies is focus on your Warriors. Because they are our one and only scoring unit, it helps to load up on them. The more the merrier, because once you reach your Phase Out number, you lose. I tend to run 30 Warriors in 1000pts.

·
Registered
306 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I would get that set but I don't have a lot of money and I think it is expensive. I have to build up my army slowly because I have to rely on my parents giving me money. =(

·
LO's Resident Time Lord
3,270 Posts
Well, I sympathize with the interest in starting now but not wanting to buy the set.

The other drawback is that there is a MASSIVE pile of plastic staring you in the face when you buy that thing. I thought I had a lot with the regular battleforce! Might seem overwhelming at first.

Don't be afraid to start small, but as others have said, in the long run the big boxes, while expensive in the moment, will ultimately save you money.

·
Registered
306 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
That's true. I can earn some money this summer. I had already planned to save up to get the battleforce set. I might as well wait a little bit longer in order to get the bigger set.

·
Registered
1,006 Posts

·
LO's Resident Time Lord
3,270 Posts
EBay is definitely your friend on this one. Also, check out online dealers like thewarstore.com, many of whom offer discounts on GW products. That will make it even easier, and ultimately save you even MORE money.

EDIT: Lemt, that's the Monolith Phalanx. We're talking about the warrior phalanx, which I THINK you can still get from GW direct, or through a discounted online dealer.

DOUBLE EDIT: Yes, the Warrior Phalanx is available. I know for a fact thewarstore.com sells GW stuff at a 20 percent discount, and at that price, shipping is free. This is just ONE way to make this uber-expensive box set cost LESS than the two battleforces you were thinking of buying. It pays to shop around at as many dealers/auctions you can find before buying. If you want to check out a dealer's reputation, post a question about it in General Hobby Discussion here.

Good luck!

1 - 15 of 15 Posts