Total 166pts

Rune priest, Rune of stone, great weapon
71pts

71pts

Core

22 long beards, shields, standard, champ Rune priest thane here 6x4
306pts

10 Quarrellers great weapons flank guards use cross bows for chalf get in flank charge
140pts

10 Quarrellers great weapons
140pts

Special

23 iron breakers standard champ Rune priest 6x4
342pts

23 iron breakers standard champ Rune priest 6x4
342pts

Rare

10 iron drakes go between the units my answer to heavy armour regeneration can also get in flank charges in one units stuck in the fight
150pts

10 iron drakes same as above
150pts

Total 1999pts

So thoughts it's a shield wall force with flanking elements with the main units getting armour piercing and Mr1 I was thinking of dropping bits on bsb and getting the mro grungi and make use of that Mr1 thoughts on my list?

·
Organised Chaos
1,233 Posts
Although nothing has a lower ld of 9 and some units even 10, still might be worth giving one of the Ld9 runesmiths a ward save as general just for show.

I would normally consider grouping the quarrellers into one unit but that is generally when you invest points in war machines and you have to make up the other blocks with your missile troops. Just try to concentrate fire.

It could be worth dropping an iron breaker and a rune smith in order to squeeze in a gyrocopter. Musicians could also be useful for quick reforms, as well as winning tied combats. its surprising how often a musician will pull our ass out the fire, and how often I have seen them make and break combats.

Iron drakes I would just treat as another block unit, with FC. I will be taking a unit of 20-30, 10 wide to get as many shots out as possible before reforming to a WS5, S4(5), 4+ block unit. Small units could work, but only concentrated fire will stop them from becoming targets to pick off for some easy points.

Just some thoughts, but with the new book, how you have everything at the moment could work better.

·
Registered
1,522 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The idea is to keep the Rune smiths cheap as they are there for the armour piercing though I had thought about the master Rune of grungi for 5++ for shooting and magic on all units within 6".

The idea for the Quarrellers is that they clear chalf and guard flanks and if possible charge into a flank they are my throw away unit I was thinking of dropping the great weapons to shields just to tie them in and give them a better parry.

I think the list has a good feel my experience with war machines is that you have to have a few or none sadly I can't see them in the list I like organ guns but your likely hitting on 5-6 which I know the iron drakes are to but they can fight and what not to i like the gyros to get in behind but as they move soooooo much faster than the list they will get targeted. My other list is the opposite 2 units of 30 Quarrellers gw hammerers master Rune vayalla for +2 to dispel lord bsb 2 Rune priests some war machines and gyros

·
Organised Chaos
1,233 Posts
I have to admit, I am seriously considering shields for my thunderers as they now (like the quarrellers) have heavy armour. So I would be going back to my old style of play with a 4+ armour save on my ranged units, with a 6++(5++) parry to boot. Whether or not I would opt for shields over gw on quarrellers however... not too sure I would, unless I also was taking hammerers, in which case it would give me an excuse to need a more solid block rather than another choppy choppy block unit.

My feeling on the gyrocopter, is that for less than 100pts, its worth it, even if it means your opponent spends a turn shooting at it and killing it at worst, at best, they don't kill it and it goes on harass the enemy units. its also useful to get about the board quickly to support units that get left behind or if an enemy unit starts to circle round flanks. A Gyrocopter can quickly get back and give them a blast with the steam gun.

·
Registered
1,522 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Well its whether you take thunderes over Quarrellers really. So you think the shield wall list I put up is any good?

·
Organised Chaos
1,233 Posts
I think it needs some changes.

First I would increase the LB to at least 30 if not 40. My local GW staff member has been running 40 with Belagar and they have been rocking face. 22 just isn't enough.

Drop the Quarrellers. They can provide you with some early ranged attacks, but if your shooting, your not moving and so not guarding the flank, and if your moving your not shooting, at which point you might as well have gone for cheaper warriors. They are better suited to the waiting game, were you are sitting back with a couple of war amchines that need protecting, but as you have a foot slogging army, probably be okay with just the irondrakes.

IB, same situation as the LB, need to be really 30 models.

And with no cover from war machines or magic I would definitely go for MRo Grungni on your bsb for the 5++ against missile attacks, not to mention getting a nice ward for your bsb with it.

·
Registered
909 Posts
i like the list although i really think that too many points are being put into the irondrakes, i like the models but i dont rly like how little damage they do on paper and they cant even take great weapons for CC. just my thoughts though. maybe drop a unit of irondrakes to put in a cannon with rune of forging and rune of burning to diversify your armies threats.

·
Registered
1,522 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
the thing is cannons are stationary and keeping them safe is a pain to easy victory points. yeah they would be better if they had great weapons sadly this is not the case. ok what about?

Hero's

Rune priest, great weapon, Rune of stone, mro balance, rune of iron
Total 141pts

Thane, bsb, MRO Grungi, great weapon
Total 161pts

71pts

71pts

Core

38 long beards shields standar champ rune priest bsb here.
Total 514pts

Special

29 Iron Breakers Standard rune priest
Total 416pts

29 Iron Breakers Standard Rune priest
Total 416pts

Gyrocopter xx

Gyrocopter xx

Total 1950pts so shall i invest those points in my rune priests special is at its limit

Thoughts?

·
Organised Chaos
1,233 Posts
I don't see ID working as small flank units. They don't do enough damage. If your lucky and come up against a unit of 3 trolls or ogres, or a unit of 5 heavy /10 light cavalry then they might pull something out of the hat, but they don't have the damage to clear our big block units and hordes, who will sweep other them without issue.

If you want a foot slogging shield wall army, you need to break your opponents attention from the line of dwarfs coming at them. I suggest going;

LB
IB
IB
Gyrocopter
Gyrocopter
Miners.

If you have points left add in a missile unit or cheap warriors with gw to watch flanks.

Miners are so good now thanks to point reduction and -1 to hit on the turn they turn up. No shields, but have GW so either S6 when they charge or S5 the rest of the time, and as they come on using ambushers your opponent will be reluctant to send all his troops forwards to meet your blocks.
Gyrocopters, T5 3 wounds, steam gun and potential to dive bomb. jus use what cover you have and send them both down one flank so once again your opponent cant send all his troops after your blocks.

edit: was writing as you posted-miners are good but not essential. see how your list above works, looks okay but 1 character too heavy for my liking at 2000pts. I normaly only go 4 characters at 2400pts+ but its preference and I know your going for AP on your units.

·
Registered
1,522 Posts
Discussion Starter #10 (Edited)
Yeah idea is gyro flys down just distracts and what not. The thing is yeah i normally never take this many characters but they roll in at 444pts which is a low spen on characters. with the master rune of grungi my army has a 4++ against magic that to me is massive and 5++ against range means i should get to the fight in good nick. With a quality parry and +1 str if i charge i think this list will out slog most opponents. How should i spend my 50pts should i upgrade to a gyro bomber? Should i give shields to my rune priests instead for a 2+5/6++ thoughts?

·
Organised Chaos
1,233 Posts
I would maybe look to some runic banners. Ancestor rune is okay, but is excellent on Hammerers when you want to auto pass a break test. Could still be use full. However, I would probably go for 1x Ro Spellbreaking, as they are always useful when you have to shut a spell down. Then use what points you have left on maybe the ancestor rune on your long beards standard.

...just noticed you don't have full commands. Get them. champions can accept challenges for your Rune Priests and BSB, and musicians will help you to win or not loose drawn combats, as well as quick reform when you need to. If you have to not take something to fit them in, let it be an IB champion.

·
Registered
1,522 Posts
Discussion Starter #12 (Edited)
Erm special is at its limit I lb have a champion atm so would struggle to get anything in. The thing with this list I won't be participating in either magic or shooting

·
Organised Chaos
1,233 Posts
I don't think it will hurt too much to loose an IB from each unit to squeeze in musicians. Your going to loose models on the way in anyway so its not going to hurt ranks in a big way.

·
Registered
909 Posts
i think having shields on ur runepriests is a much better idea to keep them protected as it is you dont want to be giving away free vps to the enemy. list looks good although i think multiple warrior units instead of longbeards would be more effective as it is your units dont cover a lot of space on the battlefield and this will make it easy for people to outmaneuver you, make the gyro copters job easier i say by replacing the longbeards with regular warriors with GW's that way u have one gw flanking unit per IB anvil unit, idk though its definatly your idea for a list and my own impressions of it are without a lot of the thought you have put into the concept. in the end playing it out and seeing its strengths and weaknesses will help you the most.

·
Registered
1,522 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
what i might do is drop long beards to 28 (30 with characters) and have gw warriors in the flank like 12 of them :D alongside the gyros that widens the field my opponent will be more worried about my blocks and gyros in behind so warriors will likely be left alone in low numbers? and they will break rank bonus.

Yeah i think shields will fit better i don't like the idea of droping an iron breaker. On Iron Breakers do they get their parry even then they charge? the way i read it they do :p

yeah guess i should just play it and see what happens.

·
Organised Chaos
1,233 Posts
Everyone gets a 6++ parry for having a shield to the front.
Dwarfs get a bonus of +1 on parry saves on a turn in which they are charged. (I will have to check, but I'm thinking if someone charges into the dwarfs who are already into a combat, then hey would get the +1 bonus against just attacks from the new charger if they are able to take parry at all.
IB get the +1 bonus at all times. So as long as they can make a parry save, they do so with a +1 bonus.

30ish LB should be okay at 2000pts. just a shame miners are not core or I would definitely be telling you to take them instead of warriors.

·
Registered
1,522 Posts
Discussion Starter #17 (Edited)
so yeah if they charge IB should still also get the +1 to parry as they get it all the time?

Yeah but 2 blocks of 12 warriors would give me a wider spread and some flankers?

or better yet 2 small blocks of LB with GW?

Edit new list:

Hero's

Rune priest, Shield, Rune of stone, mro balance
Total 118pts

Thane, bsb, MRO Grungi, great weapon
Total 161pts

Rune priest, Rune of stone, shield
68pts

Rune priest, Rune of stone, Shield
68pts

Core

28 long beards shields standard champ rune priest bsb here 6x5.
Total 384pts

12 warriors GW 6x2
120pts

12 warriors GW 6x2
120pts

Special

27 Iron Breakers Standard, Muscian or champ? rune priest 7x4
Total 398pts

27 Iron Breakers Standard, Muscian or champ? rune priest 7x4
Total 398pts

Gyrocopter xx

Gyrocopter xx

Total 1995pts not sure what to do with 5 points wish i could give the rune of stone to the bsb but can't :( other than that the army has a wider footprint the warriors guard flanks and get of flank charges the gyros fly forward clear chalf. Question can the steam gun be used like a breath weapon in close combat?

Overall Thoughts?

to take it to 2500. I would add another rank to each IB add a rank to the warriors make the long beards 33 7x5 and turn the rune priest into a lord.

·
Organised Chaos
1,233 Posts
I think the list is at the point were you need to play test it before making any more changes, otherwise you will just keep tweaking it until you loose interest. Play test it a few times (proxy is a good idea if you haven't bought everything), see what isn't working, or what you don't like and then make some changes.

·
Organised Chaos
1,233 Posts
that list looks great! hope it works out for you, be sure to let us know how it does!
Yes let us know how it goes. If possible keep a little note book on side and note down what happens turn to turn so you can give us a good account of how each unit preforms for you.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts