Librarium Online Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
650 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
The tourney format is 3 rounds, each round has a primary (10 pts), secondary (6pts) and tertiary (4pts) objectives. They are a bit themed, but there is a lot of controlling points, having scoring units in their deployment zone and scoring units in your own deployment zone so my list will be troop heavy. Honestly you can win many of these scenarios by tieing up killy untis and focusing on knocking out scoring units. Guess it is also worth mentioning that it is a 90 min "dice-up" tourney meaning no finishing of turns or rounds after 90 min so high model count is not a helpful thing.

HQ
Wolf Lord, Frost Axe, Storm Shield, Wolftooth necklace, Wolf Tail, Thunderwolf, Saga of the Bear

Wolf Priest, Meltabombs, Wolftooth necklace, Wolf Tail

Elite
WolfGuard - 2x combi-melta & PF, 1x stormbolter (extra guy to meet the min unit of 3)

Troops
8x GH - melta, & MotW (Wolf Priest Rides with these gusy as well as one PF WG) Rhino (Extra Armor)
8x GH - melta, banner & MotW (as well as PF WG) Rhino (Extra Armor)
5x GH - melta (Razorback with TL Laz & extra WG)
5x GH - melta (Razorback with TL Laz)

Fast Attack
Thunderwolf Cav x4, SS x4, TH x1 (Wolf Lord Rides with these guys)

I used a similar list and it works rather well at the style of tournament. The razorbacks are transport/Walker poppers and bunkers holding points in/near my deployment zone. Wolflord/ Cav and rhinos rush forward to engage hard units and takes points. Nothing too fancy. I usually move at max speed and pop smoke turn one or two depending on cover.

Please provide feedback. Hoping to use these units. I am looking for obvious weaknesses or tweaks. I do notice that I can drop the 3 WG, upgrade 1 GH in the two rhino units to have a PF to gain points, but then to get the WG 2A/9LD versus the 1A/8LD GH argument.

I also considered replacing the rhinos with drop pods to get in quick and have the pod contest points, but two pods means the first gets strung out from help for a round or two and the 2nd is a gamble of when it will be helpful. I usually can move the rhino clsoe enough that on the following turn my guys can get out before it moves and get the charge.

·
Cheeeese
559 Posts
Some tidbits:

- I would prefere a RP over the WP.
- In 1500 points i would consider a expensive mounted WL and a WP with eq. too much pointwise. I usually prefere the RP. Great bang for the bucks .
- I see some of those TWC, but they are rather costy. I prefere more of them without SS.
- I think GH is a great buy - and use them a lot.I would say 4 squads is too much in 1500-lists. But it's different opinions around.
- i would change placement of the wolf banner (or invest in another) so you get one into your squad with WP.
- overall i think you seriously lack long range firepower.

My 2 cent. And good luck with the tourney. Maybe we get a battle report :soldier:

:beer:

·
Registered
2,094 Posts
one thing screams at me, lack of fire support? I personally wouldn't rely on rzorbacks and you don't really need them, because long fangs in my opinion work better and survive alot longer, sure it costs alot more points, but i believe they are a better investment for fire support. Also, do you really need an over kill unit? the TWC seems too expensive for a 1500 points game, maybe you could trim their claws abit.
You also seem to have 2 objectgive sitting squads, that really isn't necessary from my experience as one usually does the trick with no trnasport ( and with hard cover ).
thanks
antique_nova

·
650 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Some tidbits:

- I would prefere a RP over the WP.
- In 1500 points i would consider a expensive mounted WL and a WP with eq. too much pointwise. I usually prefere the RP. Great bang for the bucks .
- I see some of those TWC, but they are rather costy. I prefere more of them without SS.
- I think GH is a great buy - and use them a lot.I would say 4 squads is too much in 1500-lists. But it's different opinions around.
- i would change placement of the wolf banner (or invest in another) so you get one into your squad with WP.
- overall i think you seriously lack long range firepower.
:beer:
I found that termie units and cybork nobz were a problem I could not handle. I considered terminations, but the 2 wound. 3+ invul, cav moving beatsticks have proven really well (tried against orks, eldar, salamanders and deathwing. No SS means to saves against rending snipers, laz, plas, melta, vindicators, etc, etc.

The number of troops is due to the scenarios at our LGS tourneys deal with putting troops just about all over the board. We had a 4 corners capture, a more-in-your-deploy zone- than-mine (and the reverse) so effective troops really were king.

I put it in the other squad as the WP gives preferred enemy making the banner null on attacks. I would rather it be in a unit that uses it 100% than 50% (offense)

Mobility is the key to this one. Max move, smoke and get in their face. The mech negates small arms fire. The TL Laz razorbacks provide very solid range shots to pop transports.

·
650 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
one thing screams at me, lack of fire support? I personally wouldn't rely on rzorbacks and you don't really need them, because long fangs in my opinion work better and survive alot longer, sure it costs alot more points, but i believe they are a better investment for fire support. Also, do you really need an over kill unit? the TWC seems too expensive for a 1500 points game, maybe you could trim their claws abit.
You also seem to have 2 objectgive sitting squads, that really isn't necessary from my experience as one usually does the trick with no trnasport ( and with hard cover ).
thanks
antique_nova
See my above post about the troops being king in our scenario formats. I luv my LF and have 2 units of them, however they are not scoring units and they can die to strength 4 blasts and sniper fire.

The TWC cav are the only good counter for opponent termies, nobz and other power weapons/AP I have been seeing. Their speed puts them into CC turn 2 except against gun lines.

·
Registered
2,094 Posts
jotww my boy, jotww and 2 squads of long fangs with 2x lascannons and 3x missile launcher should do the trick :D. hope that helps!

·
650 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Here is what I may end up going with:

WolfLord, thunderwolf, frost axe, SS, wolftooth

WolfPriest, wolftooth (May exchange for RP with Lightning)

10 footslogging BC, flamer, PF
5 GH, melta, Razorback TL Laz
5 GH, melta, Razorback TL HB

TWC, SSx4, Thunderhammer

9 fenrisian wolves

Vindicator

BC on foot screened by the wolves. They guys go up one way, the TWC+WL the other. Laz-backs sit in my zone to hold points (or be scoring units in my zone). HB-Razorback advances up middle with the vindator taking shots of opportunity.

·
Registered
2,094 Posts
you don't need two hq choices for 1500 points. one's enough and any more is jsut over expending. plus i don't think TWC cut with balanced, competitive lists. So your points could come from your wolves and a hq choice. gl with the tourney! I wish i could join!
thanks
antique_nova

·
650 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
you don't need two hq choices for 1500 points. one's enough and any more is jsut over expending. plus i don't think TWC cut with balanced, competitive lists. So your points could come from your wolves and a hq choice. gl with the tourney! I wish i could join!
thanks
antique_nova
The Wolf Priest turns BC a very killy scoring squad with preferred enemy. Their only weakness is power weapons.

Here is what I decided on:

WolfLord, thunderwolf, frost axe, SS, wolftooth, Saga of the Wolfkin

WolfPriest, wolftooth

9 BC, flamer, PF, Rhino with extra armor (WP hitches a ride)

TWC x3 - SSx3, Thunderhammer, 1 meltabomb

9 fenrisian wolves (tend to run in shadow of the rhino for cover then split off for objectives if possible)

Vindicator
Long Fangs - Laz x2, ML x3

Init 5 fenrisian wolves are a nice unit to race across the board to find small dug-in units and/or to contest a point. Hard to ignore and cheap for me when/if they draw fire.
Long Fangs are useful as always.
I like this list as it has 3-4 advancing threats (Cav, Vindicator, WP with BC's, and the wolves) and 2 scoring units in mobile bunkers that have 48" TL threats.

·
Registered
2,094 Posts
A wolf priest turns any unit into a very killing unit, but very killy units are usually asking for a very messy death. Also i think your TWC unit is very very expensive, over 250 points or near enough. just beware that you only have a squad of TWC and a rhino taking the fight to the opponent's DZ and they will quickly be swarmed and once they are gone then your facing a loosing battle if they have firepower. Vindicators work best in pairs, because you can always count on one being anything but wrecked and any of those results makes the vindicator either unable to shoot or it cannot turn to fire at a target or out of range. Vindicators aren't very helpful against armies entrenched in cover as well. Personally from experience people will see the threat of your list as:

Rhino,vindicator, razorbacks.

Once their gone, they can spend as much time as they want sucking in your TWC and making them unable to hit the big targest that you want them to hit.

On a more helpful note, you only need one objective sitting squad so why not turn one of your rzorback squads into a rhino assualt squad? to buffen up the assualt.

thanks
antique_nova

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.