Librarium Online Forums banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Egg Head Miniatures:fbook
1,900 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Heya all,

Nearly finished this guy. Need to add a little damage, touch up the face a little and neaten here and there. However, I've never used snow before and very unhappy with the effect at the mo'. If anyone has any tips they would be greatly appreciated. General crit' is of value to so please leave helpful comments.

·
The Future
4,848 Posts
Have you done any power effects on the blades? The colour is out in the top one and the angle is wrong for the others so it's hard to tell.

I think the weakest point on the model is the fur - I'm not a great painter so I don't know how to fix it but that to me seems like the main 'flaw' (if you can call it that).

Still, cracking work :)

·
1,900 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Have you done any power effects on the blades? The colour is out in the top one and the angle is wrong for the others so it's hard to tell.
No effects, as I like blades to look like blades. Just my taste really.

I think the weakest point on the model is the fur - I'm not a great painter so I don't know how to fix it but that to me seems like the main 'flaw' (if you can call it that).

Still, cracking work :)
I agree with your fur comment. It's the first time I've tackled it. I'm happy with my first proper go but I've seen some great effects by other painters. I'm doing a few others so will be concentrating on refining my fur effects on those models. ;-)

·
The Future
4,848 Posts
I agree with your fur comment. It's the first time I've tackled it. I'm happy with my first proper go but I've seen some great effects by other painters. I'm doing a few others so will be concentrating on refining my fur effects on those models. ;-)
Bear in mind the only fur I've seen painted for ages is all of the SW stuff in GW - so those are some pretty high standards I'm comparing your fur to :)

·
Registered
214 Posts
It's a nicely painted mini the blends on the yellow on the Knee pad are in fact quite nice. I agree you need something on the blades, they seem a little dull, maybe some dried blood/gore or something, or maybe some true metallics something similar.

Also there is a small yellow splash on the right thumb you can see in the first photo, so you might want to catch that one.

Otherwise very nice.

·
Lord Admiral
2,608 Posts
I would rectify the blades as follows.

1) Wash them with a thinned mix of blue and black ink

2) Paint from the edges with boltgun metal - you can apply this over most of the blade, leaving a little bit of the current base in the middle.

3) Then highlight with chainmail, but not quite to the edge of the bolt gun bit

4) Wash again, this time with thinned down blue ink

5) Highlight with chainmail mixed with mitril silver

6) Wash again with the blue ink

7) Add mithril silver highlights to the raised edges, then on the blade edge, add a very fine highlight of mithril + white.

The washes will unify the colours and add a little steely blue to the effect, and the white+mithril highlight will really bring about the sharpness of the blades.

·
1,900 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I would rectify the blades as follows.

1) Wash them with a thinned mix of blue and black ink

2) Paint from the edges with boltgun metal - you can apply this over most of the blade, leaving a little bit of the current base in the middle.

3) Then highlight with chainmail, but not quite to the edge of the bolt gun bit

4) Wash again, this time with thinned down blue ink

5) Highlight with chainmail mixed with mitril silver

6) Wash again with the blue ink

7) Add mithril silver highlights to the raised edges, then on the blade edge, add a very fine highlight of mithril + white.

The washes will unify the colours and add a little steely blue to the effect, and the white+mithril highlight will really bring about the sharpness of the blades.
Thats great! Thanks mate. I'll give it a go this evenng and post my results later.

·
1,900 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Thanks Kithre. ;-)

Well, I've managed to take some pics of the finished article this morning. Thanks lots guys for your various suggestions. I'm much happier with the overall look. Decided not to add damage to his armour or weather it as there is so much great detail it may get a bit lost.

·
Lord Admiral
2,608 Posts
One final comment - on the jewels, I would glaze them with red ink, and add another really thinned highlight on the centre cross of pure white - really thinned down...
(check out my Ragnar with the same backpack for some pointers..I did these the "long" way from scab red upwards...)

·
Lord Admiral
2,608 Posts
Wicked - i must say I really like the shading on teh face and the yellow and black Wolf Guard markings are nice as well. One general comment is perhaps teh paint appears to be a little think in places, but that's not really noticeable on teh model I'll bet, as the pictures are very much blown up vs the model...

·
1,900 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Wicked - i must say I really like the shading on teh face and the yellow and black Wolf Guard markings are nice as well. One general comment is perhaps teh paint appears to be a little think in places, but that's not really noticeable on teh model I'll bet, as the pictures are very much blown up vs the model...
Yea, very true. With the picture being 3 times the size of the actual dude it is a bit misleading. I do think I need to put the time in to get smoother blends though.

Glad you like the face. I really believe the face makes a figure.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.