Librarium Online Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm making a SW army to play against what looks to be mostly IG and 'Nids, its either 750 or 1500 points friendly SW. I gotta take wolf scouts, for reasons which are many and obvious, but i can't decide whether i want them to pop from OBEL with a meltagun, bp+ccw, frags, maybe a WGPL and act as CC assassins, or if i should give them bolters and a plasma gun, and just have them dig in and shoot. either way, they will be in squads of 6, and i see them cutting off the head of the enemy pretty much, or at least doing serious damage to vulnerable support weapons. anyways, i was hoping some of the SW players could give me some advice on what combos work for them?

·
Registered
156 Posts
I don't really know much about SW, but I seem to see alot of talk about Lemun Russ tanks. What I do know is SW is a CC army, so you'll get outnumbered by 'nids and shot to death by IG.... In other words, I guess you are going to end up on depending on what little shooty you have and your scouts to mess up the IG.

·
Wolf Lord
426 Posts
I play 5 scouts with a melta, 2 plasma pistols + ccw, and 2 bp+ccw using OBEL. These guys cost 100 points and have NEVER, I repeat, NEVER not made their points back either by killing units or holding quarters / objectives. They pop up and take out a tank / dev squad / dread and then get stuck in vs. a squad or an HQ and tie it up for a few turns or hold a table quarter. They are devastating. I have not run my wolf scouts any way other than via OBEL, but I can not speak well enough about their value.

Against IG, OBEL scouts are going to cost your opponent a leman russ, or two. Against nids they're either going to eat up a sluggish heavy / hq or hold an objective.

I would advise not putting too many points into them however as once they pop up and let loose on something they are going to be facing a lot of opposition while standing very close to a table edge. Only spend as many points as you don't mind losing as they will more than likely not hang around long if they come in early.

·
Registered
499 Posts
I've used my SW scouts OBEL and as infiltrators. If you are likely to pay the same opponents regularly you need to mix it up a bit.

How many squads of souts are you planning on taking?

Remember you take take one squad of scouts as per any SM scouts, which means 10 and the ability to take snipers or heavy weapons.

I tend to take a meltagun, 2 plasma pistols and ccw, 2 bp and power wepons, and 1 bp and ccw, this works well enough for me. That one squad of 6 managed to take out almost 700 points of tau by themselves, whilst the rest of my army footslogged up the field.

Against nids i have used infiltrate, which again worked well. I was playing a genestealer heavy army so it seemed pretty poitless having them OBEL as most of his army was swarming towards me. That time i took two squads, one as above the other with 2 bolters, a plasmagun , a bp and power weapon and the remainder bp and ccw. This second unit were played mid field and popped out to rapid fire, whilst the other unit hid until the 'stealers were crossing through cover and i then popped out shot at them and then charged them striking at initiative, which put a ding in his forces.

Reactions: Chaplain Stephen

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
i'll join it with pleasure. but, uh, how do i do it? =P

·
Registered
2,044 Posts
Just post in the topic in the Clubs & Clans forum.

Tai'shar

1 - 7 of 7 Posts