Librarium Online Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Shoop Da WAAAGH!
237 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all

Around May last year i posted a thread on the same theme but it was only a 500pt army of a unique tau force themed around a swamp.

WELL, i completely forgot about that project in its entirety when life went a bit tits up for me. So now im back and i think its finally time to get the hobby ball rolling again.

First of all, allow me to revise the theme of the army so you all know what your going to be looking at over the next few months.

Ok. The theme of the tau army is this: It is a force made up almost entirely of stealth suits and kroot based on a death world covered by swamp and marshland. When it comes to the modeling and painting of this army, i plan on having infantry wading knee/waste deep in greenish water, their armour well be painted in muted browns and greens with battle damage on the larger sections.

As for the stealth suits i have something special planned for them. The idea is to paint them so that they look as though they are blending into the terrain around them, much like a chameleon.

The other idea i had was to add more scenery to their bases and paint the suits so that it looked like they were actually invisible, but then i realized my freehand work is poor and i should never attempt this EVER.

I was also thinking of converting the batttle suit commander to look more like Shadowsun using a mixture of stealth suit, space marine and other such kits. (Could do with some advise of this one.)

The army will be between 1000-1500pts and il be starting work on it by the end next week. Il be posting the finalized army list within the next couple of days.

Let me know what you think, and if you have any recommendations, let me know!

Cheers all.

Mr T

·
Registered
150 Posts
Sigh, i posted a second ago and it got deleted somehow so this will be shorter.

I love the concept, some advice for guys wading in water. I had pathfinders doing this in my old tau army. It looks wonkey if you just cut them off and glue them on the base. If you grind out the base to be bowl like, even slightly, glue the figure in after painting, then paint the base and use water effects it works a lot better.

As far as stealth suits you could try to make guile capes or suits out of fake pete moss from a hobby store. Good luck!

·
Registered
164 Posts
have you looked at the forgeworld battlesuits for your commander? They all look very unique, and you can pretty much take your pick of weapons. just my two cents

·
Sir Proofreader
4,251 Posts
Sounds like an interesting project.

I think the bases of the models are going to be critical for something like this, to be honest. [MENTION=28498]jwh0142[/MENTION] has a point; I think the hasty amputations might look a bit odd. Maybe you can just use the bases upside down, filling the hollow with marsh-like stuff (and maybe some water-effects of some kind?)

The Stealth Suits you could really use a lot of scenery on the base, building up shrubs and bushes and maybe even small trees so they're almost completely concealed in them!

I'm not really sure about the bits you'd use for a Shadowsun conversion as I'm not overly familiar with the model in question. Maybe just sticking a few additional 'sensor pods' and antennae on a Stealthsuit would help?

·
2,399 Posts
Ding! Done it, to good effect:
Two ways of doing it:

1) Car body filler 2 part epoxy - It's see through / reddy / brown. I tried this on a whim once, and it worked. however:
DO NOT put on F/W. It heats up and I imagine with dire concequences on F/W.
Test your mix first (re different brands & heat & color ) - it stinks too btw.

2) Varnish / model plus water effect (dries clear after a week or so) . add ink (brown?) sculpt this gel onto base. (yaght varnish is too smooth and runny)

Now you may need to paint 1st, and 2 is probably the safer option

1 - 5 of 5 Posts