Librarium Online Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
134 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone I am writhing up a new army list and with the list I am thinking about I only have enough room for one unit of 40 troops so I was wondering which is best to protect my wizard, BSB and witch hunter.
Swordsmen, spearmen or Halberdiers?

Thank you for your time and I look forward to your reply's

·
Registered
71 Posts
would help if you told us a few more details.... how many points? what Lore you are taking for your wizard? if you are using an all comers army or if you are fighting a specific opponent.

·
Registered
134 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Sorry I am writing up a 2000 point list that I am planing on taking to thrown of skulls in June I am not going expecting to win I am going to have fun but I don't want to get beat in the first couple of rounds because my only foot troops with some Heros in it got wiped out early on.
I hoe that makes sense.
I have not really thought about a lore yet but the only lores I have used so far have been shadow and life so was thinking about maybe taking something diffent but bear in mind I am probably only going to have 1 maybe 2 level 2 wizards.

Hope that helps

·
Registered
71 Posts
without knowing the make-up of the rest of your army, my advice would be this........ forget making him a level 2 wizard.... keep him a level 1 and make him a wyssan's caster. Get a dispel scroll and the ruby ring. Then, as far as your troops go, take swordsmen. 5+ armor save and WS 4 are a good thing when you can also get the Wyssan's bonus. Better the definite buff spell then maybe not rolling the ones you want from Lore of Shadow.

I am interested in seeing the rest of your list.

·
Registered
616 Posts
lvl1 caster with Beasts. Wyssan's Wildform is the signature spell (probably best sig spell in game) so you can guarantee getting it. +1S/T is incredibly useful on any army, which is why a lvl1 with D Scroll (and maybe ruby ring) is a really useful model.

·
Benevolent Dictator
9,222 Posts
The only downside is that as awesome as that spell is, you're only throwing +1 to cast it, and they're going to attempt to stop it. That's fine if you're drawing out dice to get better spells later in the phase, but if you're relying on Wyssan's I'd go with a full L4 with Beasts, give him the sig, and then hope to get the Character version as well, which makes your characters awesome - especially Empire, who can spam a lot of cheap characters.

As far as Core - if you're only able to run 40, I second the vote for Swordsmen. Spears are just terrible and you really should never consider them. Halberdiers are good, but they're going to die quickly and without knowing what else is in the list, if you're leaning towards damage or lots of anvils, I feel like I'd play it save and run Swords, 5 wide, 8 ranks to drop enemy Steadfast.

·
Registered
4 Posts
As far as Core - if you're only able to run 40, I second the vote for Swordsmen. Spears are just terrible and you really should never consider them. Halberdiers are good, but they're going to die quickly and without knowing what else is in the list, if you're leaning towards damage or lots of anvils, I feel like I'd play it save and run Swords, 5 wide, 8 ranks to drop enemy Steadfast.
I'll third swordsmen due to their longevity (HW and shield ward save to the front in melee) - halberdiers die a bit too quickly and spearmen suck. says me who may well go for a horde of halberdiers (DONT !) but 8 ranks deep is good. (or 6/7 wide depending on the opponents deploy and if they're expensive e.g. high elves. I assume you have a musician in there too.)

·
Registered
120 Posts
I fielded a 40-man strong halberdier unit yesterday. I was positively surprised how well they held out against a unit of grave guard. Their Str of 4 makes them rather Killy and the insane amount of wounds (40) makes them hold uit quite well.

·
Benevolent Dictator
9,222 Posts
Depending on the kit, GraveGuard aren't quite the best thing to be comparing them to. That's definitely something of a "best case scenario" right there. GG are naturally S4, so you don't get a save anways. The fact that you're 1W means that their Killing Blow is entirely wasted. Their high strength with Greatweapons (S6) is wasted - S5 is enough to wound Halberds on a 2+. All of this, plus the Undead rule and the price penalty levied against them because of their place in the VC army, makes them a touch expensive to be throwing against something as flimsy as Halberdiers. GraveGuard are meant to fight off things like our Knights and Greatswords. Even our Demigryphs would probably be a better match for GG than Halberds.

I think that if you want to see "just how bad it can get" - throw that same unit of Halberdiers up against an equal value of Goblins or Elves and see how you fare. Some of it is up to the meta in your area as well - 40W in a Core unit really isn't much. My Elf Spears cost 2pts more each, and I field them in blocks of at least 30, and try to aim for 40+. When I base my Empire line around Halberdiers, I run a block of 60.

·
905 Posts
I remember testing my army against daemons before throne of skulls (the old daemon book) and I never faced them and got trashed by Lizards and Skaven. My point is don't go expecting to win, and a lot of people bring the same army. I lost 4 out of the 5 games and got the most favorite player votes, wood elves are fun to struggle with lol.

These guys are right though, you want balance, so the swordsmen are probably your best bet. Halberds will give you a better killing ability with the +1 strength but they can't get shot at, and spears are defensive and typically only run with a gun line. But that's just my 2 cents.

·
Registered
120 Posts
Hm.. dunno about fielding in unit sizes larger than 40. I never field them wider than 5 and a unit of 5*8 is already unwieldy enoug. 60 would increase them to 5*12, which is one son of a b... to manouvre.

·
Benevolent Dictator
9,222 Posts
If you go with 60, you run 10x6. Halberdiers are a damage unit, you want to give them a frontage. If you're just looking for ranks to provide an anvil, then you run Swordsmen. With 60 of them however, you can run blocks of 30 Swordsmen on either side, 5x6 for your "anvils", then run your Specials/Rares outside of that. It gives you a reasonably sturdy center brick that can do a bit more damage than their points might otherwise suggest - for an opponent to send something in to deal with them, they're risking being flanked by Swordsmen, as well as hacked apart by Halberdiers. Add in a little magic, and you can cut down Chaos Warriors.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts