1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

·
LO Zealot
1,744 Posts
The model you have painted looks very nice. And I say looks because the picture does not show the full painting effects of it.

I can see the cape is dark purple with highlights, the robe in front is blue with highlights, the weapon gold, the inside of the cape is white with a very nice freehand trim around the edge and the rest, I think, is black.

I would say, judging by what I see, that I would put it in the Above Gametable Quality.

·
A bit of alright.
675 Posts
The painting looks to be up to the expectations at the very least. I can't really see but if it is not based that might rub some people the wrong way.

·
Registered
248 Posts
Hey Guys,

I've just come back to 40K and started an Eldar host. I was looking into some local player groups and they make reference to bringing miniatures painted to Tabletop or Wargaming standard.

I've just finshed my First Eldar mini and was wondering 1) Is this good enough and 2) What qualifies a mini for these standards.

P2050060.jpg - Image - Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting

P2050059.jpg - Image - Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting

Cheers guys
Your painting was clearly more than required for Tabletop / Wargaming standard. Generally all the groups want is not to be facing unpainted models the actual quality of painting isn't really the priority.

·
Painting Machine!
2,668 Posts
Your painting was clearly more than required for Tabletop / Wargaming standard. Generally all the groups want is not to be facing unpainted models the actual quality of painting isn't really the priority.
I agree completely. You've gone above and beyond what's required. Keep up the great work!

Tekore

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Cheers for all the positive feedback, guys!

I was abit unsure of it because you see a lot of awesome miniatures on here. I was thinking if these are only wargames quality- i'm not gonna make it. If the Farseer is more than what's required than i understand the quality scale a bit more- still amazed by the pics on here and the pic of the day painting!

I thought it was better to ask then to turn up and be told it's not up to scratch to play. I can deal with my limitations an all but i don't like discussing them in public and RL, lol.

·
Undersecretary of Decay
184 Posts
Someone told me once that the only requirements (per GW?) for tabletop quality is at least 3 colors and a base of the correct size. You have a far above average tabletop model there. Would like to see some more pics in better light, however.

edit: Don't be intimidated by the quality of the work on these forums. There are some fantastic painters and modellers on this site (not me, for sure) who reqularly produce work of at least display, and often golden deamon quality.

·
Registered
121 Posts
What I always tell my friends is paint them to a standard that you are satisfied with and you'll never disappoint yourself.

That being said good job.

The 3 colour minimum is if you're entering a Grand Tournament, all your models need at least 3 different colours of paint or you can't compete IIRC. I might be wrond though. Anyway, it's irrelevant for this members case as he has over 3 colours.

·
things will change
2,707 Posts
Tabletop standard is generally considered to be:
  • At least 3 colours are used.
  • The model/army is based.
  • The model has some highlighting/shading.

After that, everything else is gravy.

Of course, you may want to push yourself for higher standards, and you might want to impose extra restrictions upon yourself.

Having had a look at your model, I wouldn't be worried about it. Basing is generally considered a good thing to do (it's one of my favorite bits to be honest), but is a matter of choice.

The quality of the model is above what many people will be able to achieve, especially if you've just re-entered the game.

A few things I would suggest, however, would be to tidy up the few little spills of colour. The bone, especially, is a little messy in some places, and spills out onto the base. Simply paint over the bit on the base, and consider washing/shading under the collar of the cloak to hide the spills there.
I would also consider adding some extra shading to the metallic areas (especially the gun). I can't tell if it is shaded or not, due to the quality of the photo, but an extra wash (or two) of chestnut ink (as a very quick and simple start) would really help you out.

-t.

·
Registered
28 Posts
My personal rule is that, does it look good at arms lenght? Does it look good on the table? I will of course push it well above that! Those are just the bottom line standards for me so that they can be fielded! Just a few rule I live by ;Y

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.