Librarium Online Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hey guys im trying to build up a decent chaos army for a 1000 point game and was hoping to get your opinions on how my list seems any insight would be great this is the first larger army im building.

*HQ Terminator lord - mark of nurgle, combi weapon, lightning claw
*Elites
terminators x3 1 with reaper autocannon
Dreadnaught
*Troops
Plague marines x7 - plasma gun, plasma gun,
plague marines x7 - plasma gun, flamer
Havoc x 5 plus aspiring champion equipped with melta bombs with chaos rhino dedicated transport equipped with second bolter - 4 with missile launcher

total 997 points

·
Registered
2,965 Posts
I'm assuming it's a Lascannon Dreadnought? As you've written it, it seems like you're saying the Terminators have Lascannons.

It's mostly good for 1000 points, but you definitely need to give the Rhino to one of the groups of Plague Marines. Once you set them up, you will most likely never move your Havocs, and nor should you. You should be firing them every turn, and taking a turn to move, embark, have the Rhino move, and then another turn to disembark and only get to fire Snap Shots is a huge waste. Same deal with the meltabombs on the Havoc, he should never be getting into a position to use them. Use those points to upgrade the flamer to a meltagun.

I would give the Rhino to the Plague Squad with the flamer, and have the Terminators and Lord deep-strike. Use the foot-slogging Plagues to move up to capture a mid-field objective and use the Terminators and Rhino Plagues to take the fight to your enemy and engage him. Dreadnought and Havocs should stay put and provide cover fire, with the Dreadnought taking out tanks and transports and the Havocs either hitting vehicles or dropping frag templates on infantry.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I'm assuming it's a Lascannon Dreadnought? As you've written it, it seems like you're saying the Terminators have Lascannons.

It's mostly good for 1000 points, but you definitely need to give the Rhino to one of the groups of Plague Marines. Once you set them up, you will most likely never move your Havocs, and nor should you. You should be firing them every turn, and taking a turn to move, embark, have the Rhino move, and then another turn to disembark and only get to fire Snap Shots is a huge waste. Same deal with the meltabombs on the Havoc, he should never be getting into a position to use them. Use those points to upgrade the flamer to a meltagun.

I would give the Rhino to the Plague Squad with the flamer, and have the Terminators and Lord deep-strike. Use the foot-slogging Plagues to move up to capture a mid-field objective and use the Terminators and Rhino Plagues to take the fight to your enemy and engage him. Dreadnought and Havocs should stay put and provide cover fire, with the Dreadnought taking out tanks and transports and the Havocs either hitting vehicles or dropping frag templates on infantry.
Okay so ill save the points on the rhino and melta bombs to get the additional upgrade didnt think of bringing the plague marines into the middle of the fray but you bringing it up definatley made me realize the advantage it could bring (thank you very much!. also i meant i equipped the terminater with a reaper autocannon and i kept the dreadnaught basic with heavy bolter but would those points be better worth giving the lascannon to the dreadnaught?

·
Registered
2,965 Posts
Yes. A single Chaos Dread has no way of getting into melee quickly (6" move, no Drop Pod option), so it won't be charging until turn 3 or 4. So it's suited more for long-range, and you have enough anti-infantry so a lascannon would help more.

On the other side, a Reaper Autocannon is more suited for shooty Terminators, and you've kitted yours out more for melee (no combi-plas/meltas, and your Lord is melee), so the Reaper won't see much action because you should be in melee shortly after you arrive.

·
Registered
2,236 Posts
Yes. A single Chaos Dread has no way of getting into melee quickly (6" move, no Drop Pod option), so it won't be charging until turn 3 or 4. So it's suited more for long-range, and you have enough anti-infantry so a lascannon would help more.

On the other side, a Reaper Autocannon is more suited for shooty Terminators, and you've kitted yours out more for melee (no combi-plas/meltas, and your Lord is melee), so the Reaper won't see much action because you should be in melee shortly after you arrive.
There's also the matter that he took the Autocannon at a squad of 3, which cannot be done.

You will NEED Rhinos. I know Rhinos aren't great, but they're essentially all you have to use.

I'd also not recommend the Helbrute at this point level. Until the new codex arrives, they're really only going to be useful in one of their formations.

Also, without a Spartan Assault Tank, I will not count on Terminators ever reaching combat. Do you have a Spartan Assault Tank by any chance? It's basically the Land Rauder but better. If not, just a retinue of 3 Terminators with a Land Raider will suck less.

So if we run this out of the Crimson Slaughter, because it allows better Nurgle Lords, we get:
x1 Chaos Lord
. Daemonheart, Horns, Sigil, MoN, Power Fist, Combi-Melta

x6 Plague Marines
. 2 Plasma Guns, Rhino
x6 Plague Marines
. 2 Plasma Guns, Rhino

x3 Terminators
. MoN, 3 Power Fists, 3 Combi-Meltas, Land Raider w/ Dirge Caster

That's about what you'd need for a foot Lord. If you have a Lord on a Bike, the list actually allows you to fit in more toys.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts