Librarium Online Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I played a game last night against the best local gamer I know of. He plays powergaming armies, including a dual lash army and a tri falcon Biel Tann army. He plays tournaments and paints models for a living. He beat me last night, and I seek assistance for future engagements. I will briefly describe the lists used and I ask for help from my veteran dark brethren!

His list:

2 Autrachs, bikes, Reaper Launchers, Mandiblasters, Powerweapons

1 Squad of 3 Guardian Jetbikes with cannon

2 squads of 6 Dire Avengers, Exarch, dual cats, Bladestorm, both mounted in falcons

1 Squad of 6 Dragons, Exarch, Fire Pike, in Falcon

2 squads of 8(?) Spiders, exarch, withdrawal, surprise assault, dual spinners, powerblades

3 falcons, fields, stones, vectored engines, scatter lasers

My List:

Archoon on reaver with field, drugs, powerweapon, helm, plasma, haywire and the like 181 pts.

4 Squads of 10 warriors, 2x dark lances each

1 squad of 12 warriors, 2x cannons, 2x blasters, syb with agon and plasma

2 squads of 8 wyches, wych weapons, succubus, agon, personal drugs, plasma, raiders

warpbeasts x5 and master

1 squad of 3 reavers w/ 2 blasters and an agoniser and helm

Talos

2 Ravagers with 2 dizzies each

We played table quarters, and he deployed all in cover. I deployed with lance teams covering each other, all in forests, with skimmers hiding and melee troops near the warriors to support them.

He slowly destroyed my skimmers and Talos over the first three turns with his Falcons, with me peppering his Falcons with all my Dark Lance fire. He kept his Autarchs behind the Falcons and picked off whatever they could see. On turn 4, he suicided his Dragon Falcon to take out my last Wych Raider and moved his Spiders forward from hiding. He blasted away two Lance squads with the Spiders and Dragons, and Blade stormed his his Avengers on the other flank, killing a Lance Squad to expose my Archon and then Bladestorming him too. It was over from there.

To recap, on turns 1-3 I lost both Ravagers, my Talos, my bikes, and a Wych Raider, all to his Falcons and Autarchs. On turn 4, I lost 3 and a half squads of warriors, my Archon, and the last Wych Raider. I relied on killing his falcons with the Sniper squads, but all I could do was keep then shaken for about half the time.

I tried to make this as clear as possible. I, in my opinion, played well, making very few tactical errors, and he also made almost no mistakes. Is it possible for me to win a game vs. this army relying only on Dark Lances to kill his Falcons? What do you guys think? Thanks for your help:?

·
Registered
762 Posts
I hate falcons... They are evil.... and that coming from dark eldar meens somthing...

I find when playing with my imperial guard army, that killing falcons is still an almost impossible task. But your chances do seem to be improved when instead of hitting the falcons with a few very heavy guns, you hit it with a bunch of str 6 or 7 guns that get multiple shots, and still have a decent chance to glance (its not like penerating really matters)
so if you know how, try mathing out the chances of 1 dark lance damaging a falcon over 1 dissentegrator, then do 4 dark lances hitting compared to 6 or 7 dissentegrators. im not 100% sure but i would bet the chances would still be a small amount higher

Other then that you could just wait 2 more months, By then they will be ALOT easier to kill

·
Registered
235 Posts
disintegrators firing on sustained could only glance the rear armour of a falcon, and good luck getting behind a falcon without it blasting you down first when your as tough as wet cardboard.

Seems to me like the issue is how much he whittled you down for few losses in return in the early period of the game, have you ever tried using webway portals, if you can deliver them to the table while minimizing the number of troops needed to defend them it will let you get a big punch in from your wyches etc without them taking lots of return fire.

·
Registered
341 Posts
Seems to me like the issue is how much he whittled you down for few losses in return in the early period of the game, have you ever tried using webway portals, if you can deliver them to the table while minimizing the number of troops needed to defend them it will let you get a big punch in from your wyches etc without them taking lots of return fire.
The thing about webway is you need to have enough targets on the field to leave your carrier undisturbed, and hen enough units in the webway to have a significant impact on the enemy. And with the the barrage the Eldar have on the table before the game begins it will be very tough to keep your carrier undisturbed.

·
Registered
182 Posts
What about mandrakes to tie down those warp spiders? You had plenty of lance fire but not much mobility in my opinion. Lack of movement for DE is a death knell. Maybe you could max out those fast attack slots, too, get right in the face of one falcon. If you could smash one it would be like pulling the loose thread on a knitted jersey. Watch the goody eldar all fall apart!

·
Registered
569 Posts
Looking at the two lists one of the things that might be worth throwing in there are some more jetbikes, another unit of 3 with 2 blasters and I would consider dropping the succubus from the other squad. Then you can use them to annoy your opponent.

Another thing worth considering although it is expensive is giving your wyches haywire grenades, this way you can use them to assault falcons and surround the rear of it destroying the squad inside.

I have to admit that I haven't faced 3 falcons that often. Normally with vehicles like them all I try to do is shake them... that way it stops them from shooting and hence your opponent has a model which they paid a lot of points for which can't really do much except transport troops.

Its not easy though and not fun to play.

The other thing which you could consider if he is a powergamer is to write your own power gaming list every army has one. I have a power gaming list (something I don't like to use) but it only comes out against known power gamers in my area. Otherwise I use a nice balanced list.

·
Born from Tears of Angels
1,768 Posts
I do admit that falcons are difficult to deal with, especialy when people know how to use them.

My best suggestion would be to incude at least 2-3 sniper squads in your army for controlling fire lanes. They will help send those falcons to places where you want them to go, as well as prevent them from going to places you dont.

3 Ravagers with lance and 2 disies each makes perfect combo for the gunships. With some raider help, if they triple back on 1 falcon they will be bound to take it down. The raiders with lances wil be able to take out, or at least harass the other.

Regarding foot slogger squads, I dont understand why you would bother taking them. Eldar are too fast of a race to be intimidated by large foot squads so if I were you I would only include sniper squads as infantry.

best of luck to you.

·
Registered
341 Posts
I have to admit that I haven't faced 3 falcons that often. Normally with vehicles like them all I try to do is shake them... that way it stops them from shooting and hence your opponent has a model which they paid a lot of points for which can't really do much except transport troops.
I use Haywires in my current list and they are AWESOME. I suggest just playing around with it. Eldar vehicles are tough to get to, even the littlest amount of damage to them is tough as they can shake shaken and stunned off pretty much. Haywires help with this, 6s to hit, and say you have 8 wyches, then you have of the ones that hit, hopefully they have re-rolls as a drug result, then you have a 66% chance of doing a glance and 1/6 of a chance of pen or no effect. then you have 50% of doing something substantial to the vehicle after that.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts