Librarium Online Forums banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
179 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi Battle Brothers.

I'm playing a 1000pt game possibly tonight, and we'll only ever really done 1500 or above, so, I'm looking for a little advice about the use of tactical squads: specifically, at what number of marines oer squad to take.

I always use 10 man squads (I'm a big fan), and with the Cleanse and Purify trait take 2 plasma in each, alongside a Vet Sarg with Powerfist. Add to that TYBB and you're talking expensive dudes.

So anyway, I was looking at 3 x 5man tactical squads, but then it's very easy for the opposition (Eldar) to make them non scoring. Finding the right looking balance is what I'm pondering over.

Just for reference, I'll also be taking one dreadnought, one landspeeder, and then possibly either a terminator captain with 4 man Termintor command squad, or captain with a normal command squad and 2 Lascannons stuck in) - plus whatever else I can fit in.

Any suggestions or experience would be great!

·
Archmagos
904 Posts
Generally:
Assault oriented, or likely to get into assault: 8-10 Marines
Shooty: 6+, depending on whether you want more squads and guns, or less of that, but more survivability.

When you increase squad size, even numbers are more preferable than odd numbers. It's for morale purposes.

·
Registered
318 Posts
I tend to go for around a 6 man squad, with a heavy weapon and a plasma gun in each, this means that your not wasting a 10 man squad firing at either something that dies to the first shot, or not firing at all to get in a better position. A smaller squad will suffer from morale more but if you field a captain then you can take his leadership tests and then save yourself points on all the veteran seargents.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.