Librarium Online Forums banner
21 - 34 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
since goblins are a hoarde army i usually buncht hem all together grouped around the drum and shaman while durburz (goblin king) is near the front of the formation, just behind a row of goblins with bows who shoot at the enemy while both armies advance towards each other.

Matt

P.S. this is the formation that finally won me my first game in years! say so if u need a diagram to help explain

·
Registered
925 Posts
I like taking mordor orcs to shield my lines from bow fire. there cheap as hell, and are good for receiving the cav charges. they can kill my crappy orcs, then get smashed down from the flanks from lurtz, beserkers, uruks with shields etc.

·
Registered
112 Posts
ever heard of; FORCES OF EVIL! cause that§ what this topic is about!!!

·
Registered
1 Posts
i just started playing lord of da rings warhammer and it totally ROCKS, im buying an army of isengard and im going to destroy my friends minas tirith army. (he only has minas tirith men but he rocks at playing WH) will this be a good tatic?

@@@@@@@@@

BBBBLBBBBB
PPPPPPPPPP
UUUUUUUUUU

AAAAAAAAA

@=enemy
B=berserker
P=Pike
L=Lurtz
U=Urukhai with sword and shield
A=Urukhai archer

also should i put sharku and some warge riders in?

plz tell me if this is a good stragety :( :sleep: :shifty: :yes:

·
Registered
3 Posts
i use easterlings and u need a lot of kataphrakts for this tactic to work...
i have 17 but anywhere from 10-15 is good too

K so i have 80 easterling warriors( but you dont need that many it all depends on what size game you are playing), 16 of them being pikes they can do the whole phalanx thing with 32 warriors with swords and sheilds to back them up.
i have my archers in the back obviously
so i send my foot soldier in straght in with captains and banners and they are a lot to chew on wit their heavy armour
I split my easterling kataphrakts into 2 contingents and and put Khamul the Easterling with one of them. I send them in after my normal soldiers engage the enemy army. they can come in quck and still stay out of range because they are cavalry thus having good movement
They attack the enemy on both sides, and i also like to use them to wipe out the opponents archers, because once the opp. archers are all gone, mine can go to work killing other troops without worry
i know i knwo its a very simple tactic, but you would be surprised how many games it has won me
it works well against elves if done properly, because they have deadly archers
maybe its just me, but my friend has never beat me with his high elves against my easterlings

·
Registered
62 Posts
Just a question as I'm planning of beginnig soon, when the mumakil comes out, and i wanted to field army that has a lot to do with them.

So would an army that consist only of mumakil, haradrim and easterlings sounds good according to fluff and combat effectiefness
Men or Harad and Easterlings are totaly different, so it would not be so good for fluffiness.
Easterlings : More Heavily Armoured than Harad but they have less possibilities, although an Easterling Captain can pretty much own anything.
Harad : Less Armoured than Easterlings but more options such as Cavalry, Bows and Mumakil.

Easterlings come from the East ( Rhun )
Warriors of Harad come from the South
They would not be able to meet up easily.
Not true: the Battle of Pelennor Fields for instance, and the time when the Wain-riders and the Haradrim attacked from east and south in the time of the last Kings of Gondor before the Ruling Stewards

·
Registered
23 Posts
I'm a haradrim bug ( go SOUTHRONS) and i always try to use my haradrim hordes in any evil force. I find that if i'm going to play a game, 1.5k is a great number of points to play, and in those cases, this is what i do--
I put in the following
1 Mumak of the Serpent Horde, with all upgrades ( yes, all. It really works for many reason), Ridden by 10 Haradrim warriors armed with Bows, and 2 Half trolls, 1 with 2 handed weapons. 550 pts
16 corsairs, 8 armed with shields, 8 armied with spears,) 128 pts
17 Warriors of harad 102 pts
1 Banner of Harad 30 pts
7 Haradrim raiders, 6 with bows-4 of these with spears- , and 1 banner bearing Haradrim raider. 106 pts
2 Haradrim kings,1 on foot, 1 mounted. 130 pts
Suladan, on foot 90 pts
1 Hasharii 90 pts
1 Haradrim Chieftain, with spear and bow 51 pts
3 Haradrim warriors, armed with bows 18
TOTAL COST IN PTS--- 1295
Allies- Orcs
Gothmog, on foot-130 pts
12 orc warriors, 3 with bows, 2 Two handed weapons, 3 with shields, and 4 with spears.

Now, the reasons with this is a good army, at least.. to me.
The Mumak is nearly indestructible with all those upgrades. The Beastmaster chieftain driving it gives it a chance at 3 Heroic moves. These are good against most heroes, and since i have Gothmog in this armylist, if i kept him close to the enemy heroes, e.g Aragorn, and Aragorn calls a heroic move to stave of a trample attack, i can , for free, challenge that with GOTHMOG, hahah. Even if my 'G'mog lifeline' fails me, when my enemy has charged me, then all i have to do is use those Rappelling lines to get a few people down, onto the ground, and with a little luck, they'll tangle up important heroes that have charged the Mumakil, and help it win it's fight, and that's why i put in the two Half trolls. Despite being warriors, they'd probably survive taking a beating from a normal captain, who'd only have 4-5 Fight value, meaning the Half troll has half a chance of winning, and beating them up ! yeah!
Next, in a fight the fourth attack could really help it win, and on the trample, against any normal captain, 4 attacks, str 9 would probably number his days, and likewise against any horse-ridden hero, their mount isn't going to likely survive that trample.
A higher defence ( def 8) makes sure that archery isn't going to easily wound it. Sure, legolas only needs 6, followed by 4, but Anything with a throwing weapon/bow will need to really push themselves to wound it.
Sigils of defience has always been worth it's points worth to me, with a 1 in 6 chance of saving a wound... this means the Beastmaster chieftain has 2 lifelines! woo!
The rocks in the howdah are what can be used to make heroes use their might. One example of this is, i am against a mass of Warriors, but there is Eomer calling heroic moves, really slowing my deadly charge down. Only a little way away is a Captain of minas tirith, not a single Might spent. I start throwing half a dozen stones at him a turn. First turn, i cause 1 wound, he wastes a fate, rolling 3, and decides to use a might to modify the fate-roll. Next turn i cause another wound. He's spent his fate and now has all of 1 might to save him next turn. Next turn i win priority, he calls a heroic move to challenge my Mumakil and not let it charge. He charges, the fight is uneventful, and no one is wounded. Next turn the opposition has no might but has won priority, so i call my first heroic move. I slaughter everyone.
Rocks, even though they cost 20 pts, they are going to save you up to 300 points worth of Mumakil, potentially. They can cause heroes to rely on their might store just to survive.. quite useful.

Now , for the reasons for the rest of the army...
The 16 corsairs, 17 Warriors of Harad, and 7 raiders of harad, and Bannerbearer provide me with enough warriors to hold an enemy in a place for a very long time, whilst the Mumakil rampages.
The 5 heroes are there to provide me with a plentiful might store, amounting to 8 might points. ( Gothmog is to help the Mumakil with his orcs, therefore i am not counting him towards the might store).
The most useful tactical advantage of having all these things there, to help the Mumakil, is so that it can kill around 2 thirds of the army.
That's usually what my Mumakil thrives to do. Why not take advantage of that?
:act-up::act-up::act-up::act-up:
I'm no experienced general at any other Evil force, except orcs, but that's limited, too.

·
Registered
62 Posts
If the Mumak gets wounded at all hope you pass its Courage test (I think it would be on C1) and also shield your Corsairs from enemy archers with some Haradrim as you'll need their F4 (once the Corsairs with shields get shot the Corsairs with spear are easy meat at D3)
Correction: the Mumak would take the test on C1 once anyone on it is killed and is therefore unable to use their better Courage

·
Registered
23 Posts
Easterling/ Haradrim/ Mahud

I have no idea how many pts this is- but i reckon it'll be approx 1k.

Okely dokely, i've been thinking about a tactic that would be capable of crushing even the defence of the dwarves.

Firstly, you would need to place a main for of Easterling/haradrim in the middle of the board ( Oh, before you go any further this is mainly EASTERLING/HARADRIM collector's tactics).
.- Used to make the diagram to proportion
E- Easterling shieldsman
S- Easterling Spear+ Shield
H- Harad Spearman
C- Easterling captain
B- Haradrim Banner bearer

.EEE.C.EEE
HHHBHHH
.SSSSSSS.

Smack this right in the center-line of the largest unit the opposition has ( most numerous and influential in a head-head, for instance, you are facing an army of Rohirrim. On the left is a larg-ish group of Rohan horse-men, roughly a dozen.
However, in the middle of the board is a group of 20-30 Rohan soldiers.
You would send your men through the middle)
THIS IS ASUMING THEY DEPLOYED FIRST

If you deployed first, place the easterlings in the middle, organised, as suggested above.

2nd unit, the hard-hitters.

These can be either Mahud raiders ( the better option ) with a pair of Mahud tribemasters/ Kings on camel, or a similar amount in Kataphracts, however if you chose Kataphracts they wouldn't hit as hard, and would be in more strife in the combat phase.

Asuming you take Mahud, get around 6 mahud raiders ( not too many to become a major target, even though they probably will be immediately recognised as one)

Position these behind any cover possible, and the whole way, keep them close to the 1st Unit, but not too close.

3rd unit,

A few unnamed heroes, eg, Mahud kings on ft, and someone with a great stand fast, E.G Suladan.
Gothmog would also be a good decision.
Don't take more than 3 heroes in this unit, though.
Next, place around 3-4 pairs of Half-trolls in this group.
That way, each hero has his own pair of 'body guards', but that's not the point.
This makes the group large enough to punch a hole in any oppositions' main group, or it could be positioned in a good position to eliminate any of the oppositions cavalry, by confronting them whenever possible.

Fill up the rest of the remaining pts ( if their are any) with similar strong, small, and effective units.

Keep them seperate from each other for as long as is truly smart to do so, so that the largest Unit ( the 1st Unit) will attract plenty of attention.

Try this ( if you have the units you would need ) XD

·
Registered
62 Posts
Another thing on the Mumak: anyone with sense won't try to kill the Mumak outright, they'll get it to stampede continuously by killing everyone on it, and at 1500 pts the enemy is going to have a lot to throw at those poor Haradrim (30 Elves would take on average 4 turns to take out the crew listed earlier, making for a lot of flat Haradrim unless you are lucky). So for those Evil generals with Mumakil, distract the enemy from your Mumak, or advance where the enemy will be able to bring less of their strength to bear on your crew.

·
....coookies...
1,753 Posts
Mumakil

Legolas and some of the elven characters have epic shot which can be a real pain for something like a Mumakil.

There has been a fair amount of discsussion about formations here. Are we moving towards the idea that the forces of evil benefit from working in a pack?

I'm just starting with LOTR:WOTR and I would love to hear what people think about the way it works.

·
Registered
62 Posts
If Legolas used his Crippling shot to reduce its Resilience to 1 then used an Epic Shot it would be even worse. Come to think of it, this would work well against any monster, especially high defense ones like The Dark Lord Sauron.

·
Anemone's jelly jar
176 Posts
In SBG, the Mumak is just garbage. An absolute waste of points that can easily be spent making your army actually effective by adding in tons of Watchers with bows and spearmen. There is absolutely no reason to take one in a competitive list unless you are playing for fluff reasons.

Orcs aren't great either, and should only be used as supporting spears as they die too easily. An in the way or 2 might actually keep them alive long enough to reach combat. Support Morannons and they become much deadlier.

A common strategy for Mordor is sprinkling in a few black guard and a handful of morannons and orcs with an orc drummer. The extra inches really help reach combat faster and reduce casualties. A ringwraith also helps neuter good armies (minus elves...) to the basic courage of an orc.

Never played WOTR though!

21 - 34 of 34 Posts