Librarium Online Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I'm just now getting into WH with only 500 pts worth of stuff (only half painted) but like any rabid Aries gamer monkey I research the crap out of things obsessively.

As such I've noticed almost all of the lists and tactics discussed here deal solely with SoB. I rarely see a working, approved of list that includes an Inquisitor, Arcos, Penitant Engines, ISTs, etc.. I understand by the rules these units are not as tactically sound as the magnificent SoB, but therin lies the crux of the matter.

At what point do we sacrifice the style and backstory of the game in order to win? For me, this hobby is 1/3rd modelling (conversion), 1/3rd painting and 1/3rd actually playing. With 2/3rds of my interest having nothing to do actually winning a game, I am more inclined to field the units I see as beautiful and lending to the mood of my army. Am I in a complete minority?

Don't get me wrong, if I ever decide to do any tournaments after I move to New Orleans in two weeks, I'll field mostly sisters. But otherwise, I'm going to put my tactically poor but awesome-looking Inquisitorial units on the table.

Thoughts? Opinions?

·
Slave to the flesh
4,330 Posts
I love to have lists that are at least partially fluffy. So what if Arcos will die by turn 2 netting your opponent loads of VP? the next game you take them they may eat an entire army.

Most people don't build lists with wild card units (such as arcos etc) as they don't work 100% of the time. I like a bit of unpredictability and the variety such units give.

The strange and funny units are what make the game it is!

·
Registered
25 Posts
I'm all about the fluff. In the last tourney I attended (three weeks ago) I took a Cadian Guard army that had

A vanilla Command Squad in Chimera
A Support Squad with 2 Sniper Rifles in Chimera

A vanilla Command Squad in Chimera
An infantry squad with Autocannon in Chimera
An infantry squad with Missile Launcher in Chimera

Four Grenadier squads with Grenade Launchers in Chimerae
3x Sentinels
Leman Russ

Not a hugely competitive army, but modelled t look like Task Force Ranger from Black Hawk Down. Every Chimera was either a 40k-ised Blackhawk or Little bird, as was the Russ, and the Sentinels were 40k-ised Humvees.

I won three games out of eight, but it looked the business and netted me a Players' Choice award.

But for me, a completely sisters force IS fluffy. Mine is painted up with a pinkish-purply highlight tinge to their black armour and robes, and can double as girly Slaanesh Chaos marines.

·
932 Posts
Fear not Rasheem!

I put together and used a 2,000 point Witch Hunter Army which had no Sisters in it whatsoever. It didn't do too badly.
Basically it was:

Inquisitor Karamazov
Preist
3x Penetent Engines
1 squad of Repentia
2 5 model IST squads
1 SM Bike Squad w/ assault bike
2 SM Tactical squads
1 Scout sniper squad
2 x Predators

It might not win in a tournament, but it sure is fun to play!

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Now that is what I'm talking about. I see WH as being fully capable as a staging army. Use those effective units to provide cover as you charge your Arcos/Repentia/Penitant into the fray.

But then I am perpetually stomped by my brother who runs a massive Ork assault army. **** Choppas.

·
Registered
957 Posts
Rasheem said:
I am perpetually stomped by my brother who runs a massive Ork assault army. **** Choppas.
A quick EZ-Bake Ork Recipe:

1 Squad of 10 GKs (give the Justicar a set of Meltabombs)
1 Callidus Assasin (she can take aout a whole Ork squad from behind)
1-2 Squads of Retributors with HBs
1-2 Immolators
1-2 Exorcists

- Fill out the remaining points with Adepta Sorritas
- Sprinkle liberally with flamers.
- Start game with "Word in your ear".
- Bake Orks repeatedly.
- GKs will cut through Orks like a hot knife through butter.
- Joy Joy Joy.

·
LO Zealot
1,322 Posts
Well I've mentioned this somewhere before but you can make a really mean close combat army without the sisters.

Because Penitant Engines are relatively cheap points wise you can afford something along the line of two squadrons (maybe not full squadrons, depends on the army size) and Arco-flaggellants are also quite tough (Them dying on second turn is an over statement, when they die is up to how you play, If you're good enough you can get them into combat without casulties.). In addition to these being rather mean in combat they also have an equivalant of the fleet of foot special rule (holy rage) that can move them swifty into combat. Both these units can also be supported by a Space Marine Dreadnought which not only has its own fair share of combat power but offers a turn by turn layer of fire. Mobility in combat can be gained from Space Assualt Marines allies.

Fire support can be achived through Storm Troopers and their Chimera Transports. The Storm Troopers themselves can be given up to two plasmaguns and a plasmapistol, this should give you enough fire power to deal with the odd terminator squads and big beasties, with transports to get them there as well their chances of firing the weapons is quite high, don't underestimate their hellguns as well, low strength but shear number of shots should garentee casulties.

The problem now lies in anti-tank which can be gained from Space Marine predators but essentially you can instead make a 5 man storm trooper unit with 2 meltaguns, a combi-meltagun for the veteran sergant and mount them in a rhino with extra armour and smoke launchers if you don't the extra tactical marines to in order to gain the predator. Don't forget that the penitant engines too can deal with tanks.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.